Minitaur & a control surface

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Bertotti

Minitaur & a control surface

Post by Bertotti » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:41 pm

So through the software there are controls we can't get to directly from the Minitaur itself. I am curious what you all may be using as a controller to access the controls without using a mouse. I have an Sl mk2 I could try.

jsharpphoto

Re: Minitaur & a control surface

Post by jsharpphoto » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:19 pm

Any midi controller can be ca be configured to do it.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:56 pm

I will run right along with the sl then Thanks!

Obviously I am not yet wise with midi.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:06 pm

you can program some of the buttons on your controller to recall some of your favorite presets.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:35 pm

I hadn't thought of that, the sl mk2 has some pads I find useless no more then a thin piece of rubber stretched over a sensor but they would work just fine for this!Thanks

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:45 pm

Bertotti wrote:I hadn't thought of that, the sl mk2 has some pads I find useless no more then a thin piece of rubber stretched over a sensor but they would work just fine for this!Thanks
If it were me, I would designate 3 or 4 of them to your favorite LFO sync subdivisions. 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, and "sync". To have it lock to the midi clock, assuming of course you're running a DAW or some master clock source.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:33 pm

I see what your saying. I am using Logic but haven't finished integrating, sadly work keeps pulling me away. I will dig in more this weekend! Thanks!

CleverConQueso

Post by CleverConQueso » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:15 pm

I keep thinking about getting the Beatstep 2 as a MIDI controller. Knobs, buttons and MIDI 5-pin.

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:47 am

What little I have seen of the beat step items isn't drawn me to them. And the cv seems high to me but maybe things used to be like that I don't know. I can get a wall wart for my sl and be off and running until then I think i will try setting up some templates for the QuNexus, it is quite a cool little board in that you have a lot of control options. Velocity after touch, tilt, an expression pad a lot think it worthless but you really just need to learn its quirks to get it to respond. The little pad isn't as nice as a real pitch bend but it is ok. I only have one issue the sweet spot for velocity seems to vary from pad to pad and that blows. I do what adjustments I can but it is a pain to remember where to hit each key to get similar responses. Never the less with the midi expander and a 5 pin cable ti works with the Minitaur well for when I am traveling, nice compact little package.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:53 am

Bertotti wrote:What little I have seen of the beat step items isn't drawn me to them. And the cv seems high to me but maybe things used to be like that I don't know. I can get a wall wart for my sl and be off and running until then I think i will try setting up some templates for the QuNexus, it is quite a cool little board in that you have a lot of control options. Velocity after touch, tilt, an expression pad a lot think it worthless but you really just need to learn its quirks to get it to respond. The little pad isn't as nice as a real pitch bend but it is ok. I only have one issue the sweet spot for velocity seems to vary from pad to pad and that blows. I do what adjustments I can but it is a pain to remember where to hit each key to get similar responses. Never the less with the midi expander and a 5 pin cable ti works with the Minitaur well for when I am traveling, nice compact little package.
Take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I have the beatstep pro, and I absolutely love it. Is it an amazing midi controller? Maybe, maybe not. You can play notes on the buttons when it's lit up like a keyboard, sure. Is that suitable for actual playing live? Not really. It's really only fine for entering notes into the sequencer. I will say though, it has been a game changer for me. I have owned probably 15 different midi keyboard or pad controllers over the last decade. They have all been utilitarian. The beatstep pro is the ONLY controller I've ever used that actually inspired me. It's made me approach things in a different way and has changed the way I compose. I gave myself the assignment of committing to NOT using a keyboard for my two minitaurs (other than for polychaining). Only the beatstep pro. New creative constraints yield new creative outlets.

As far as the voltage output, a lot of modular drum machines need 10v of gate to trigger appropriately. Maybe in a future firmware, you will be able to limit the cv output, but for now, I just attentuate it externally, or run midi.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:59 pm

Very cool glad you like the beat step, I have maschine and I am still learning this thing but because I have it I tend to write off other beat creations items like the beat step, not because they are bad but because I have all I need. I am odd because when I have an item that fulfill my needs my gas just disappears more often then not. I do like the idea of imposing some limitations, seems a good way to force a change in a thought process. I think I may have to try something similar! Thanks!