Low end disappears when turning up the filter resonance

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
djd_oz

Low end disappears when turning up the filter resonance

Post by djd_oz » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:00 am

Hey Moogers,

Just got myself a minitaur and have noticed that the low end disappears when the filter resonance is turned up.

Wanted to see if this is normal behaviour?

Thanks.

MC

Re: Low end disappears when turning up the filter resonance

Post by MC » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:39 pm

Perfectly normal, that's how the Moog filter behaves.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

djd_oz

Post by djd_oz » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:16 am

After removing the Filter CV cable, it seems better. I had the Elektron Analog Four CV pluged in to the Minitaur Filter CV. On the Elektron, you can set a value from 0-127, it was set to the default 64 which I assume would output 2.5V also, assuming that this is a constant 2.5V? Anyway, does can anyone explain the relationship between the Minitaur's Filter Cutoff knob behaviour with the Filter CV? I've been experimenting with it and am getting some strange behaviours.

tagirov

Post by tagirov » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:35 pm

About low end: that's normal for 4-pole (24 db/oct) filter like Minitaur has.

As for filter cv: it works like [filter CV in] + [cutoff knob cv]. There is no negative CV value here, Minitaur Filter CV IN accepts 0 to +5Vsignal via passive Expression Pedals or CVs.
it seems that your Elektron's CV output is set to non-zero voltage and it additionally raises cutoff frequency, so it affects low end.
Best regards, Ruslan Tagirov.

Toyz: MBPro+Live 9.x+LogicProX, Moog: LP StageII/Sub37/Grandmother/MF-104m/MG-105m, Nord: Stage2 SW73/ModularG2Engine, Roland: MC909/TR-8, Korg: MS-20, R-3, OTO: Bisquit/BIM, etc.

till

Post by till » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:25 pm

This decreasing low end when raising the resonance is nothing special to 4-pole lowpass filters, but due to the electric design of the Moog transistor ladder filter. There are other lowpass filter designs that give a strong bass on high resonance. But these filters got a very different overall characteristic sound.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16