Running Minitaur beyond the Bass Key Range

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
ometwalli

Running Minitaur beyond the Bass Key Range

Post by ometwalli » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:05 am

So I just hooked up the minitaur to my Elektron key, using CV to trigger gate and pitch. All is good there.

However, when I use an arpeggiator on the minitaur track, the range sometimes goes beyond the minitaur's capability and the notes get jumbled up and it sounds like an LFO. Will this damage my Minitaur unit ? I imagine, the Elektron Key is sending voltages higher than +5V on those high octave range arps. Usually a quick patch reset ( go up one patch then come back ) fixes the whacky sounds. Just want to make sure I don't accidentally hurt the unit. Any thoughts comments appreciated.

MC

Re: Running Minitaur beyond the Bass Key Range

Post by MC » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:37 pm

The CV jack is v/oct and is converted to v/hz inside the MT. v/hz has a limited upper range for electronic reasons. You probably hit the upper limit. You won't damage it but try to stay away from that limit.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:26 pm

after later firmware updates your minitaur should just play any notes beyond it's range within it's upper octave
earlier versions just repeated the top note, which might be triggering what you described
ometwalli wrote:So I just hooked up the minitaur to my Elektron key, using CV to trigger gate and pitch. All is good there.

However, when I use an arpeggiator on the minitaur track, the range sometimes goes beyond the minitaur's capability and the notes get jumbled up and it sounds like an LFO. Will this damage my Minitaur unit ? I imagine, the Elektron Key is sending voltages higher than +5V on those high octave range arps. Usually a quick patch reset ( go up one patch then come back ) fixes the whacky sounds. Just want to make sure I don't accidentally hurt the unit. Any thoughts comments appreciated.
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:36 pm

misterpete wrote:After later firmware updates your Minitaur should just play any notes beyond its range within its upper octave.
Earlier versions just repeated the top note, which might be triggering what you described.
I believe that the octave-wrap behavior you're describing only happens with incoming MIDI Notes, as opposed to CV.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:31 pm

you're right Dan
the same bug bit me today when i tried running it off a random generating CV patch instead of MIDI
i wonder if a firmware update can fix it quicker than i can figure out how to attenuate that random patch :lol:
_DemonDan_ wrote:
misterpete wrote:After later firmware updates your Minitaur should just play any notes beyond its range within its upper octave.
Earlier versions just repeated the top note, which might be triggering what you described.
I believe that the octave-wrap behavior you're describing only happens with incoming MIDI Notes, as opposed to CV.
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:19 am

misterpete wrote:you're right Dan
the same bug bit me today when i tried running it off a random generating CV patch instead of MIDI
i wonder if a firmware update can fix it quicker than i can figure out how to attenuate that random patch.
I am not a wizard in the software programming world, but I'd bet a lot of money that the note wrap trick is achieved simply by remapping higher MIDI Notes back down to MIDI Notes within the MInitaur's highest octave. If this is true, there's no simple way to replicate that trick in the analog CV part of the Minitaur.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _