Connecting Minitaur via USB type B (male) to type B (male)

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
mattstreet

Connecting Minitaur via USB type B (male) to type B (male)

Post by mattstreet » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:39 pm

Here's a whopper...

I purchased a usb type b to b cable (both male), so I could control the minitaur with a korg ms20-mini. Connecting them both from their usb ports. But the minitaur doesn't seem to receive the midi note messages (no blinking midi light).

In theory this should work right? Any ideas why it isn't?

I just wanted to control the minitaur with the ms20mini's keyboard, then run the audio of both so i can have an even more enourmous bass sound. 4 analog saw waves....

Thanks for any help.

Matt

DonutDude

Re: Connecting Minitaur via USB type B (male) to type B (mal

Post by DonutDude » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:05 pm

You may have to use the midi din port for midi in from the MS-20. I'm not sure, but I think the usb midi connection will only work with a computer (host). Maybe someone else will chime in that knows for sure.

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:37 pm

What DonutDude said ~

USB-equipped peripherals require a USB "host" for connectivity -
i.e. a computer or some other device designed as a USB host.

If you want to control the Minitaur directly from another keyboard, sequencer, etc. without using a computer or other USB host device in the mix, you'll need to connect using the MIDI DIN cable connections.
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

till

Post by till » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:39 pm

An USB typ B to type B cable will for sure not work!
The USB protocol got hosts/masters (most often computers) and and clients/slaves (storage items, interfaces or synths). This master and slave architecture is also the reason why there is a type A (always connected to the host) and B connectors (also available as mini or micro B-types).
So there is a reason, why B to B type USB cables are not available in most shops: the don't make sense in nearly all situations. Actually I don't know a single reason why they are available at all.
All Moog synths and the nearly all synths are clients. The USB is there to connect the synths without a need of a MIDI interface directly to a computer. There is no way to connect a Moog to other synths directly.

So it will never work this way. Use a computer to route the USB MIDI data from one USB port to another.

Edit: someone was quicker
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16