Minitaur MOD Section Issue

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
ARNK

Minitaur MOD Section Issue

Post by ARNK » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:33 pm

When I first plug-in the Minitaur, the MOD section is functional.. I can change the LFO Rate, the VCO LFO AMT and the VCF LFO AMT.

As soon as I change the patch though these functions cease to work. I get no modulation whatsoever. The LED lights up even.

I've had problems with the Minitaur since the get go (just got it back from the shop after a month - bought it a few days before I sent it on), I'm hoping it's maybe just something I'm missing but it doesn't seem like it.

Any ideas?

Thank you

bichuelo

Re: Minitaur MOD Section Issue

Post by bichuelo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:28 am

It sounds like it might be related to the mod wheel. Have you tried using it after the LFO stops working?
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

ARNK

Post by ARNK » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:54 am

bichuelo wrote:It sounds like it might be related to the mod wheel. Have you tried using it after the LFO stops working?
Hi bichuelo, thanks yes you're right. It's somehow related. If I control the MOD wheel on midi keyboard I can alter the LFO.

But I don't see what or why this would be.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:23 am

This is the expected behavior.

You can change it actually, if you have the latest firmware and the editor you will find an option in the latter one's settings page:
-Load preset Mod Wh On/off

Try changing it to see if it fits your needs. Remember that you can save each preset with a specific mod wheel amount, which might be useful too.
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:45 am

It was a feature originally, meant for those that did not have traditional keyboard controllers (e.g. you could pulse the GATE IN with a sequencer or drum pulse and then tweak modulation rate and amount for VCO and/or VCF). But ONLY if you had a mod wheel to set the absolute modulation to an amount; recall that the two pots in the MOD section on Minitaur's panel are relative.

You would need to move the mod stick/wheel up and back on your keyboard to assume 'normal' behavior where normal = how a keyboard and synth module usually work.

But have been issues with LFO stopping or behaving strange in older versions of firmware; not sure how old your Minitaur is but I've read that the latest is pretty good.

And as 'bichuelo' said, there is a feature to have a specific Mod amount saved with a patch; (the Taurus III did this, which is handy because some patches use a specifically dialed in amount of modulation as part of the sound).
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!