That T3 weight..

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
psynthetic

That T3 weight..

Post by psynthetic » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:15 am

So.. the entire time i've owned my T3 (on our way to a our 2nd anniversary ;) ) I've been pretty darn impressed with it's "oomph" down low..

Likewise the entire time I owned my T3 I've heard how you really need to get it on a decent sized rig before it's true girth becomes apparent.
I gotta be honest… I thought I had.. but yesterday I found out how wrong I was.

Spent some time with the SPL meter, laptop and tone generator dialling in the levels for a PA with my mate yesterday.. at the end of it I thought "hey, nice freshly balanced PA, lets plug the Taurus in"

Woah! If i hadn't just finished playing a bunch of reference tracks through the rig I would've sworn we messed up the levels on the sub(s) or something.. I honestly never knew that THAT is what people meant when they were talking about the real weight of the Taurus synth.. I am humbled..

I know it wasn't quite the exciting read that MC's tale of the Taurus unboxing was, but I thought a couple of you might have a smile while reading this. :roll:

Mind you this was "just" a couple of 18" subs that are at around about -6dB by the time they hit 30-35Hz.. I shudder to think just how much earth shaking potential is still in there waiting to come out.. that warning from moog saying they take no responsibilities for speakers, or structures damaged by the T3 makes so much more sense now! :lol:

MC

Re: That T3 weight..

Post by MC » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:28 pm

Impressive revelation, innit? :D
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

psynthetic

Post by psynthetic » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:07 pm

It's like i'm born again :lol:

francesco

Post by francesco » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:42 pm

Two years ago I had a revival gig with my old band. It was a big stage with a huge PA-system. I am a bass player but I had also my new T3 with me. We played a lot of funky stuff and there was one part with a rap from our saxophone player supported only by a drum loop an one sub bass note (Factory sound: sub punch? ) from the Taurus. In our rehearsal room the Taurus was barely hearable, but on stage: Oh my god! I will always remember the faces of the audience in the moment I hit the pedal on the Taurus, incredible. One week later, I got a phone call from the guy who was operating the monitor mixer on stage during our show. He was a keyboard player and told me that he was very impressed and bought a Taurus III straight after he had seen our show.
https://www.youtube.com/user/66superfly Please visit, there is always some Moog in it!

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:14 pm

Thought this was going to be about the 26kg this beast weighs.

Sadly I have yet to hear mine through a PA. One day I hope.
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

psynthetic

Post by psynthetic » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:12 pm

Mr Arkadin wrote:Thought this was going to be about the 26kg this beast weighs.

Sadly I have yet to hear mine through a PA. One day I hope.

hahaha, ambiguity is the spice of the english language.. like a pleasing dissonance :wink:

francesco - thanks for sharing, I thoroughly enjoyed reading that and the picture it conjured in my brain, good sales pitch really.. I haven't had my T3 up on stage yet, but i'm eager chasing the day I get the chance. 8)

I think it's safe to say I will never program a patch for my Taurus or any other bass synth again without checking it on a big rig.

calaverasgrande

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:54 pm

I have to concur. I actually use my T3 for midrangey arps most of the time. I just kind of got in the habit of making patches that utilize the midi clock sync, and that awesome detune sound goes great with 8th or 16th arps. But every now and then I like to load a nice fat patch and just clean out the cob webs a bit.
One of my favorite things to do live is do a simple one note pulsing arp, or maybe root- octave. Start out with a the decay turned on. Go about 32 bars in. Then turn the dacay off.
It's like the floor just opened up into a black hole. Thud Thud Thud!
Taurus III, Digitone, Dark Energy, OB6, MG1, Grandmother, Blofeld

psynthetic

Post by psynthetic » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:11 pm

That sounds like a fun idea actually....

I'm really hoping that if they figure out how to implement swing on the Sub 37's arp (Amos said he'd take a shot at putting swing in the menu when asked by Sonic State during their product launch video at NAMM) that it will be added to the Taurus 3's arp also.. it'd really be a big leap forward for using the thing live.

Spotted your post about the T3 serial number location, from memory it was on the back, aluminium panel, a small sticker somewhere along the bottom of that panel.
I'll check later today though..

calaverasgrande

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:48 pm

I really need to get back in a gigging band so I have an excuse to flaunt this beast.
It really isnt the same coming out of headphones or even a decent home studio rig (even if they are classic JBLs).
As the saying goes, there is no replacement for displacement.
about the serial...
I think I do recall it being on the certificate someplace, but that is in storage right now with a load of other stuff.
It would be strange if it is not on the physical unit?
I'm actually working on getting renters insurance for all my stuff and they kind of need such details.
Taurus III, Digitone, Dark Energy, OB6, MG1, Grandmother, Blofeld

Waird

Post by Waird » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:31 am

psynthetic wrote:It's like i'm born again :lol:
LOL same feeling :D