Minitaur v3.0 editor and v2.1 firmware released!

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
roy1204

Re: Minitaur v3.0 editor and v2.1 firmware released!

Post by roy1204 » Sat May 24, 2014 9:57 am

Hey
Im having some bugs with the new Minitaur vst in my host: Native Instruments MASCHINE
thats after i updated the last firmware v2.1
system: mac 15" mid 2010 i5 2.4, 8gb ram, osx 10.9.3
host: ni maschine
problem: crash maschine app
audio interface: RME Fireface UCX
I use d-link powerd as HUD to connect the moog mt also via USB

also, im having some freezing and i need to use panic mode in my novation keyboard which control the moog mt.
please let me know what can i do to fix this problem.
ch33rs, Roy
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

alchemic

Post by alchemic » Sun May 25, 2014 10:14 pm

gsearle wrote:Hi

I'm having issues using this in Logic X.

I set up a channel with an external instrument plugin and placed the minitaur plugin on that channel strip.

When i set logic to record automation and move the knob on the gui with my mouse automation is recorded.

However no automation is recorded when moving the knobs on the hardware directly. This is despite the fact that the knob on the gui does move when moving the controls on the hardware.

Any idea why this might be happening?

Thanks

George
Hi George

I was dealing with the same issue. This is a actually a logic problem. It has nothing to do with the editor. Logic automation writes faderevents, the Minitaur sends controller data. There seems to be a way in logic's environment to change incomming controller data into faderevents, but i didn't get it working. I finally record the controller data. You don't have to be in automation mode to do this but make sure you press record. Afterwords you can access and edit them through view ⇒ mididraw ⇒ other and then find the parameter you were recording. Good luck.

cheers,
Mike

RizalKhan

Post by RizalKhan » Thu May 29, 2014 11:00 pm

I have played with the Minitaur editor now for a while now. I also own the editor for the minimoog voyager and I love that as it had opened up a lot of possibilities for me in terms of sound creation. I was hoping a similar experience with the Minitaur editor

Before I start with the negatives, I must thank Moog for working on a editor which can be used as a VST in the DAW. Here are my issues

The VST doesn’t work with Cubase the same way the voyager editor works. I have to use the Virtual version and have it as a separate track. So one midi track for Minitaur and one track for VST Virtual. I use MIDI and not USB

When adjusting knobs on the hardware with Midi transmitted over MIDI (and not USB), the knobs don’t seem to move in the vst editor. Frustrating as then I spend so much more time fine tuning the adjustment by trial and error in the DAW editor. Drawing an automation however works but again, a lot of time wasted trying to guess the value which will give me the exact setting I want.

Yesterday I saved a preset and when I tried to use my sound, no sound came out. Switching to any of the factory presets worked but not the sound I created. When I tried the “get” function, it said hardware not connected.

Anyway, I a lot of the problems faced are similar to others. At the end, what is really frustrating for me is that I bought the Minitaur to do sound design. The editor is meant to help me make it easier. I am finding myself spending a lot more time with the limited time I have in the studio trouble shooting rather than this task.

Why is there no INIT function? There used to be one with the old editor.

I am not the type that likes to complain, but in this case, I have to be honest. I am getting frustrated and I hope Moog will fix it ASAP or else it be such a waste to an excellent idea.

bysbox1

Post by bysbox1 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:24 pm

RizalKhan wrote:I have played with the Minitaur editor now for a while now. I also own the editor for the minimoog voyager and I love that as it had opened up a lot of possibilities for me in terms of sound creation. I was hoping a similar experience with the Minitaur editor

Before I start with the negatives, I must thank Moog for working on a editor which can be used as a VST in the DAW. Here are my issues

The VST doesn’t work with Cubase the same way the voyager editor works. I have to use the Virtual version and have it as a separate track. So one midi track for Minitaur and one track for VST Virtual. I use MIDI and not USB

When adjusting knobs on the hardware with Midi transmitted over MIDI (and not USB), the knobs don’t seem to move in the vst editor. Frustrating as then I spend so much more time fine tuning the adjustment by trial and error in the DAW editor. Drawing an automation however works but again, a lot of time wasted trying to guess the value which will give me the exact setting I want.

Yesterday I saved a preset and when I tried to use my sound, no sound came out. Switching to any of the factory presets worked but not the sound I created. When I tried the “get” function, it said hardware not connected.

Anyway, I a lot of the problems faced are similar to others. At the end, what is really frustrating for me is that I bought the Minitaur to do sound design. The editor is meant to help me make it easier. I am finding myself spending a lot more time with the limited time I have in the studio trouble shooting rather than this task.

Why is there no INIT function? There used to be one with the old editor.

I am not the type that likes to complain, but in this case, I have to be honest. I am getting frustrated and I hope Moog will fix it ASAP or else it be such a waste to an excellent idea.
RizalKhan,

See my post on the previous page about Cubase. Cubase sees the Editor as an audio plugin and not an effect, and it does not work well as an audio plugin.

In order for me to work around that, I changed the XML file that lists the plugins after it scanned in the VST plugin. The file is located here on Windows 7:

C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase (version you are using)\Vst2xplugin cubase.xml

Open the file in notepad and search for the Minotaur. When you find it, Under the configurations you will see a subcategory that looks like this:

<string name="subCategory" value="Fx"/>

Change the value to instrument, save the file and reopen Cubase. Cubase will now see the plugin as an instrument.

Also what type of midi controller do you have? If you midi controller has a 5-pin DIN midi output, I found it easier to use my midi controller to handle the victual midi than software. I just ran a cable from the 5-pin DIN midi output to the Minotaur, and left the USB of the controller plugged into the computer. I also plugged the Minotaur into my computer. Not every controller is the same, and my midi controller was pre-configured to echo the USB midi to the DIN midi output. Depending on your midi controller you may have to change some settings. But that was the easiest way for me to get all if it to work without tearing my hair out . . . .

bysbox1

Post by bysbox1 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:40 pm

I just realized my instructions for setting up the Minotaur in Cubase were pretty messed up. That's what I get for doing an email at midnight while I was half sleep?

Anyway, here is how I really set it up. The previous email was when I used to use the editor as an audio plugin and it gave me fits. Once I figured out how to hack the Cubase XML files I started setting it up like this:

1. Change the "Vst2xplugincubase.xml" so the Minotaur shows up as an external instrument.
2. Plug Midi DIN from your midi controller midi Out to Minotaur DIN Input.
3. Open your Cubase Project. Go to VST connections, add the Minotaur audio return as an External FX (that way you can route the audio back to Cubase).
4. Add an instrument track with the Minotaur editor as the Instrument. If you changed the XML file correctly it will now show up as instrument.
5. Set Midi input for the Minotaur Instrument track to SL MKII.
6. Route Midi Input and Output in the editor to Moog Minotaur (Make Sure Minotaur is disabled in Cubase midi setup).
7. Turn on midi echo in the Minotaur editor advanced settings.
8. Go to the Audio Inserts and Add the Minotaur External Return that you created under External FX.
9. Rock On!

RizalKhan

Post by RizalKhan » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:43 am

I am no longer using the Midi connection. I use the USB. Much more stable. The issue I had with no sound on a saved newly created patch can be solved by just adjusting the master volume and volume sensivity from the vst. Also am able to find init patch. While still not the best, I can live with it.

gian77

Post by gian77 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:28 am

gian77 wrote:Noticed only one issue, when turning the (filter and amplifier) RELEASE knob on the MT (with RELEASE button ON) the button on the editor (standalone version as well as AU in Live) is not following ... hardware behavior is working fine anyway, even when turning the editor knob.
Decay is working fine.
It's working fine now but I don't know why ...
Sub 37 (FW 1.2.0 / 1.0.1), Minitaur (FW 2.2.2 / 3.3.0), MF-Drive & MF-Delay
Ableton Live 11 on macOS Big Sur v11.2.3

redirishman

Post by redirishman » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:07 am

Where can I download this new editor?

Stormy

EG Trigger Mode not being retained when unit switched off/on

Post by Stormy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:09 pm

I have the 2.1.0 firmware installed on my Minitaur. I have made a patch that uses the "EG Reset" mode for the envelope trigger, but the Minitaur seems to forget this when I switch it off an on again, reverting to "Legato On", as far as my ears can tell. The v3.0 editor thinks the Minitaur is still set to "EG Reset" if I open it after the Minitaur has booted, but switching to a different EG trigger mode and back corrects the envelope behaviour.

Are there any plans for a further bug-fix release in the near future? The Minitaur is shaping up to be a lovely little synth, and I'm thoroughly enjoying using it - it would just be nice to iron out the last few niggles.

Many thanks!

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:20 pm

Hi everyone! Here is a lot of new stuff for you to check out. We are thinking this is approaching release-worthy status, but a bit more feedback would be nice.

New Minitaur Editor for OSX and Windows:
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/mi ... .4-OSX.zip [OSX]
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/mi ... INDOWS.zip [Windows]

New Minitaur firmware:
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/mi ... eview5.zip

New USB MIDI Driver for Windows (this is a release version):
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/Mo ... 2.23.0.zip

This USB MIDI driver supports Minitaur, Sub Phatty, and Sub 37. However, each product will need a firmware update in order to show the correct USB port names within your Windows apps. The driver will still work with all of these synths, but the synth will appear with the generic name MIDI IN and MIDI OUT for its USB MIDI ports, until you update to newer firmware. For example the Minitaur firmware v2.1.1 above has the correct port names and will appear as "Moog Minitaur In" and "Moog Minitaur Out" using the new USB MIDI driver.

The purpose of the driver is to support multi-client USB MIDI, meaning that more than one software app at a time can talk to the USB MIDI ports. This is especially important with the Minitaur, where you want to have your DAW and the Minitaur Editor both talking to the Minitaur at the same time. The Moog USB MIDI driver allows this, where the generic driver that comes with Windows does not.

Moog Minitaur Editor Version History

----------------------------------------
- embed fonts
- Fix MIDI channel output for Windows plugin
- (Windows) Fix loading issue for the 64 VST VI
- (OSX) Minimum requirement raised to OS 10.5
- Can now connect to several Minitaur units who have the same MIDI port name
- fix a bug with MIDI device selection (no choice)
- address an issue which prevented VST to load normally
- fix a bug with increment preset button
- fix parameter recall of Filter Velocity Sens and Filter KB tracking

Purusha

Post by Purusha » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:10 am

Cool! Thanks Amos.

I'll give it a whirl next time I get 10 minutes.
Voyager Performer, Minitaur
Cubase 8.5, Ableton 9, various hardware sequencers
OSX El Capitan on MacPro (cylinder) and MacBookPro.

spin

Post by spin » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:22 am

Testing firmware 2.1.1_preview5 and editor 3.0.4 on OSX 10.8.5 64 bit. It seems to works fine after loading the first time the editor plugin, but when i close and re-open the editor GUI the application crash. Tested on Ableton 64 bit and Reaper 64 bit.

Purusha

Post by Purusha » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:17 pm

I think we're looking OK in Cubase, but I still have the question on how we're supposed to get audio into the system.

The "instrument" plug-in has an input selector, but there are no selections to be made. It has an audio output selector, but no way of getting audio into it.

Are we meant to create a separate "external instrument" and use that? ...or set up an audio channel perhaps?
Voyager Performer, Minitaur
Cubase 8.5, Ableton 9, various hardware sequencers
OSX El Capitan on MacPro (cylinder) and MacBookPro.

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:35 pm

Purusha wrote:Are we meant to create a separate "external instrument" and use that? ...or set up an audio channel perhaps?
Either of these should work... basically, handle the audio however your DAW works best when it comes to external hardware instruments. The plugin is simply a MIDI controller and patch librarian.

One way that works well for me (in Live) is to use the DAW's external instrument widget, and then place the effect version of the Minitaur editor (not the VI one) as an "effect" on the external instrument. This gets me MIDI, audio, and the editor all on a single track. You might be able to do something similar in Cubase.

If for whatever reason it makes more sense to use the VI version of the plugin, then you'll want a second track for audio, set up to record/monitor audio from whatever channel of your audio interface the Minitaur is plugged into.

andow

Post by andow » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:04 pm

Great! I'll try as soon as possible!
What are the changes in the new firmware?