Minitaur v3.0 editor and v2.1 firmware released!

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Mihajlo

Re: Minitaur v3.0 editor and v2.1 firmware released!

Post by Mihajlo » Sun May 11, 2014 6:35 am

Still no luck with SAVNG/SCROLLING presets on hardware only. I know that Amos is trying hard, but i bought MT because of that option, so i can use it live. I could just buy a Waldorf pulse and skip that hassle. Sorry moog, but i am a live musician and this makes me useless. Yes, i updated my MT.

CleverConQueso

Post by CleverConQueso » Mon May 12, 2014 1:33 pm

I use my Minitaur live and use this feature. Can you describe the problem and I'll try to help?
You press and hold glide while tapping VCO1 for inc. and VCO2 for Dec.
I've also managed to get it hooked up to my Alesis QX49 and can send patch numbers that way which works well and didn't take any setup.

chefmenteur

Re: Filter knob no longer works since update

Post by chefmenteur » Mon May 12, 2014 1:39 pm

chefmenteur wrote:Since updating to the 2.1 firmware and running the 3.0 editor, I can no longer use the Envelope Filter knob on the front panel of the synth. It turns manually as normal but it neither changes the sound, nor updates the virtual knob in the editor. The virtual filter knob in the editor works, though, by sending the MIDI to the device, and changes the sound as expected.

I hope I'm just missing something stupid. All the other knobs appear to work fine. I restarted the synth and it still exhibits the same behavior.
When I said "Filter knob", I should have said "Decay/Release" knobs -- both for the Filter and the Amp sections. I discovered the knobs do work when the "Release" button is off, however they do not affect the decay or release when the button is off.

bichuelo

Re: Filter knob no longer works since update

Post by bichuelo » Mon May 12, 2014 8:12 pm

chefmenteur wrote:
chefmenteur wrote:Since updating to the 2.1 firmware and running the 3.0 editor, I can no longer use the Envelope Filter knob on the front panel of the synth. It turns manually as normal but it neither changes the sound, nor updates the virtual knob in the editor. The virtual filter knob in the editor works, though, by sending the MIDI to the device, and changes the sound as expected.

I hope I'm just missing something stupid. All the other knobs appear to work fine. I restarted the synth and it still exhibits the same behavior.
When I said "Filter knob", I should have said "Decay/Release" knobs -- both for the Filter and the Amp sections. I discovered the knobs do work when the "Release" button is off, however they do not affect the decay or release when the button is off.
I think this is the normal behavior in the new version:

"• RELEASE MODE operation has been simplified. Release “Mode 2” (independent decay/release) now works as follows: If the RELEASE on/off button is lit, the DECAY/RELEASE knob is editing the Release time. If RELEASE On/Off is dark, then DECAY/RELEASE knob is editing Decay time. Release Mode 1 behavior is unchanged; still v1.0 Minitaur behavior (which is: Release on/off sets release time to zero when off; release and decay times are linked when release is on). To toggle between Release modes 1 and 2, press and hold Release On/Off for 1 second."
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

robotboot

Post by robotboot » Tue May 13, 2014 7:04 pm

in ableton i am having issues with the the editor. when i open up a saved project there is no communication to the minitaur with midi and i have power cycle minitaur to make it work and then all my previous working setting are gone

robotboot

Post by robotboot » Tue May 13, 2014 10:26 pm

it seams that that problem is only with the vst but at au works

greenborder

Post by greenborder » Wed May 14, 2014 5:54 am

Did anybody have a chance to try out the new polychain functionality? Will it work with different products eg: Slim/Sub Phatty -> Minitaur?

x5pc

Post by x5pc » Wed May 14, 2014 4:07 pm

hello,

I got problems with the new editor and minitaur au instrument. I'm running MacOsX Mavericks with MainStage 3.0; The first time I have used the plugin everything seemed ok but after saving changes in the Concert and closing the program, MainStage crashed and never started again (because settings are so that the last file saved is loaded at the startup), so I had to install again MainStage files from a backup. Did anyone had similar problems?
Thanks
Alessandro

gsearle

Post by gsearle » Thu May 15, 2014 5:01 pm

Hi

I'm having issues using this in Logic X.

I set up a channel with an external instrument plugin and placed the minitaur plugin on that channel strip.

When i set logic to record automation and move the knob on the gui with my mouse automation is recorded.

However no automation is recorded when moving the knobs on the hardware directly. This is despite the fact that the knob on the gui does move when moving the controls on the hardware.

Any idea why this might be happening?

Thanks

George

bysbox1

Post by bysbox1 » Sun May 18, 2014 5:58 am

To those of you using the editor on Windows:

Sonar will allow you to change the plugin from an audio effect plugin to an instrument plugin in the plugin manager. It's quite simple and it does work.

Cubase is a whole new ball game. You have to change the st2xplugin cubase.xml file that is located here:

C:\Users\<your comp name>\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase (version you are using)

You have to open the file in notepad, then search for the Name "Minotaur." Under the configurations you will see a subcategory that looks like this:

<string name="subCategory" value="Fx"/>

Change the value to Instrument, save the file, then reopen Cubase. Cubase will now see the plugin as an instruments. Bear in mind that you will have to perform this task again if Cubase rescans new plugins.

FL Studio you are out of luck. It's a shame because I am transitioning to FL Studio trying to move away from Sonar. In FL studio it's a real pain using the editor. Since it's not an instrument you have to have 2 separate channels, one Just for the Plugin instrument, and one for the Midi-Out plugin to communicate with the Minitaur. Then you also need virtual midi ports like Midi-Ox or Loopbe to tie all of this together. Without a virtual workaround like SoundTower or Rekon, IMO It's more of a hassle to use it in FL Studio than it's worth.

I did not get to vote on the VST ingstrument/VST Effect. I would have voted it leave it as an instrument. The plugin is a hassle enough to use on Windows than to have to hassle with hacking your DAW to make it work as an instrument. It makes for a very poor workflow.

If you are having problems getting the plugin to see the midi ports, or getting the plugin to play at all, this may be due to the fact that Windows does not allow the sharing of midi ports. You have to disable the Minotaur midi ports in your DAW, which will create a new problem. Your midi controller connected in your DAW will not be able to playback sounds from the Editor within your DAW since you removed the mid ports and your DAW has no clue where the Minotaur is. The Echo midi feature is useless because you can no longer use the plugin editor as an instrument, plus it never worked well anyway. Also the standalone editor has a problem with this in Windows.

There are two ways to work around this. You can use a virtual midi port like MidiYoke or LoopBe1. Either one will work. But if you are like me, and I don't like installing using extra software to make this stuff work, then this will not be an attractive option. Actually, the SoundTower and Rekon VST editors use virtual midi ports as well, but they are built into the VST editor. I know some of you don't like the SoundTower or Rekon stuff, but I have never had a major problem or workflow issues with either plugin.

Option B is if your mid controller has a second5 pin midi out port, you can use that and plug the 5-pin DIN from your controller to the 5-pin Minotaur input port. This works pretty well. Here are examples of how to set this up for Cubase, Ableton, and the Standalone version:

Cubase:

1. Plug Midi DIN from SL61 Midi Out 2 to Minotaur DIN Input.
2. Add External Instrument for Minotaur in the VST connections. It does not need to have a device.
3. Set Midi for External Instrument to SL MKII
4. Add the External Instrument you created for the minotaur as a Cubase Instrument track.
5. Go to the Audio Inserts and Add the Minotaur Editor plugin.
6. Route Midi Input and Output in the editor to Moog Minotaur (Make Sure Minotaur is disabled in Cubase midi setup).
7. Rock On!

Ableton:

1. Plug Midi Din from SL61 Midi Out 2 to Minotaur DIN Input.
2. Open Ableton. Make sure the SLMKII is selected with your Midi Controllers. Also make sure sync is on for the SLMKII midi output.
3. Uncheck the Minotaur midi input and output in the midi setup
4. Create a track with an External Instrument. Set the Midi to the SL MKII and set the audio output to the audio coming from the Minotaur.
5. Add the Minotaur Editor plugin.
6. Route Midi Input and Output in the editor to Moog Minotaur (Make Sure Minotaur is disabled in Cubase midi setup).
7. Rock On!

Standalone:

1. For Standalone, you need to use Mid-OX (Free) for a virtual connection from the Remote SL MKII to the Minotaur.
2. Open Midi-OX. Go to Options\MIDI Devices.
3. Connect both the input and output to SL MKII.
4. Do not close Midi-Ox. Just Minimize it.
5. Open the Minotaur Editor.
6. Route Midi Input and Output in the editor to Moog Minotaur.
7. Rock on!

With the standalone version you have to use Midi-Ox, but it does work quite well side by side. And it's not bad on workflow.

Hopefully this information will help some of you on Windows. If you have any questions, just PM me.

Byron Thomas.

jerryfie

Post by jerryfie » Sun May 18, 2014 3:54 pm

Made the polychain work with my Minitaur and my slim phatty, hooked them up with these settings, the chain does occasionally stop working properly and reverts to monophonic, but it's nice when it does work, makes a nice duophonic Moog!

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9BLeTI9l04 (I'm a guitar player, so no Keith Emerson licks LOL!)

The setups on each synth:

Hope that can help someone!

:D
Jerry Fielden, guitarist, AraPacis
http://www.arapacis.com

greenborder

Post by greenborder » Mon May 19, 2014 4:24 am

jerryfie wrote:Made the polychain work with my Minitaur and my slim phatty, hooked them up with these settings, the chain does occasionally stop working properly and reverts to monophonic, but it's nice when it does work, makes a nice duophonic Moog!

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9BLeTI9l04 (I'm a guitar player, so no Keith Emerson licks LOL!)
Nice, thanks for sharing Jerry, let's hope this will also work with the Sub 37 in due time :)

jerryfie

Post by jerryfie » Mon May 19, 2014 5:54 am

greenborder wrote:
jerryfie wrote:Made the polychain work with my Minitaur and my slim phatty, hooked them up with these settings, the chain does occasionally stop working properly and reverts to monophonic, but it's nice when it does work, makes a nice duophonic Moog!

Nice, thanks for sharing Jerry, let's hope this will also work with the Sub 37 in due time :)
Welcome greenborder, now I just have to figure out why it reverts to monophonic sometimes, maybe it has to do with the pitch limit on the minitaur? 8)
Jerry Fielden, guitarist, AraPacis
http://www.arapacis.com

RizalKhan

Post by RizalKhan » Tue May 20, 2014 2:39 am

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for your replies to my post. Sorry I hadn't replied sooner. I got the MT working now. I had to select VST (Virtual) in Cubase. As long as it works.

Can I ask where the option is to init all parameters? There used to be one in the previous editor.

Thanks

angelj

Post by angelj » Thu May 22, 2014 10:02 am

Minitaur Plugin editor is not working for me at all!!!

Plugin does not appear at all in Ableton 8.4.2/Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit/Minitaur v2.1/Editor V3.0

Please Help!!!!

also....is there a way to preview sounds when using the standalone editor???????? all of this is doing my head in!!!