Minitaur v3.0 editor and v2.1 firmware released!

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
login

Re: Minitaur v3.0 editor and v2.1 firmware released!

Post by login » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:43 pm

Installation was simple.

But using windows 7, either in standalone or using vst inside ableton live, after using the editor for some time hardware disconects.

zerosinapsi

Post by zerosinapsi » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:53 pm

Hi,

i ve the same driver problem, windows 7 64bit.
then I permitted to windows to repair the driver and at least as stand alone it works, but in the daw hardware disconnected.

Dorfmarke

Post by Dorfmarke » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:46 am

Hi there,
not quite sure if this relates to your specific error but thought it could be worth sharing.

I also had an error message while installing the USB driver that comes along with the latest package (Editor 3.0.4 and FW 2.1) but could fix the installation manually.

I am on Windows 8.1 (64-Bit). There was an error message that the installation failed that appeared just after everything were copied fine except executing the 'regsvr ..' command (according to the log status of the installation screen).

I assumed it was lacking admin rights to write to the registry and used the Command Prompt as an Administrator, typed the complete 'regsvr ..' command as it was shown in the error message myself (look up the complete command line to execute there!) and excuted it.

It seems that this has fixed the installation of the USB driver as the Minitaur seem to work fine in the Minitaur Editor and in Ableton Live at the same time.
DSI Prophet 12, Moog Sub 37 Tribute Edition, Moog Minitaur, Novation BassStation II, Roland Juno 60

JimmyGiant

Post by JimmyGiant » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:38 am

Well, even System Admins overlook some things time to time. I don't think I'm out of the woods yet, but I finally got some good results.
I had previously installed the new driver right out of the zip file and that failed spectacularly. So, this time I unzipped it and ran it as admin. At first I had some issues because I still had the Mini installed with windows drivers. So it took a few times dicking around to clear out the system and a reboot afterward. I've left it with it working but won't know for sure until I start again and it works. I'm done for now. Not sure when I'll get to try it next.
However, I still have another problem in that the Release button does not respond remotely. I can't turn it on or off from the editor. I haven't tested all the controls yet, but of the buttons, this is the only one not responding. Maybe I need to run the firmware again. I didn't test this before, so if anyone else has the same issue with the newest firmware, please let me know.
Peace.
Jimmy Giant

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:17 pm

JimmyGiant wrote: However, I still have another problem in that the Release button does not respond remotely. I can't turn it on or off from the editor. I haven't tested all the controls yet, but of the buttons, this is the only one not responding. Maybe I need to run the firmware again. I didn't test this before, so if anyone else has the same issue with the newest firmware, please let me know.
Peace.
good news! this is not actually a problem; it's expected behavior.

You see, there are two "release modes" in the hardware. The original mode had the decay and release time "linked" -- that is to say, the release time was always the same as the decay time and you set them both using the one Decay/Release knob. In this mode, the Release on/off switch actually turned off the release stage (set its time to zero). This is kind of like how the original Minimoog worked.

The second release mode is now the default... in this mode, decay and release times are independent from each other. The Release on/off switch in this mode doesn't actually change the release time... all it does is to change the function of the Decay/Release knob... if the Release switch is On / lit up, then the Decay/Release knob is editing (only) the Release time... if the Release switch is Off / dark, then the Decay/Release knob is editing (only) the Decay time.

So... you can change the Release Mode in two ways: in the Editor, its in the Setup/preferences page under Minitaur Global Settings. On the hardware, you can press and hold the Release switch for 1 second to toggle between release modes. The Release On/Off LED will blink once for Release Mode 1 (linked decay/release) and will blink twice for Release Mode 2 (independent decay/release).

So, if the Minitaur is in Release Mode 2, then there is no real need for the editor's on-screen Release switch to toggle the state of the hardware Decay/Release knob... since the editor has separate Decay and Release knobs that you can just use directly. Maybe we should add that functionality (make the on-screen Release switch change the focus of the hardware Decay/Release knob) but if you are going to turn the hardware knob then why not press the hardware button that is 2 inches away from the knob, instead of clicking on the screen? If you're clicking on the screen, why not turn the virtual Release and Decay knobs that both exist there? That was the thinking behind the current implementation.

I think that if you are in Release Mode 1 (linked) that the on-screen Release On/Off switch will really turn the release on and off (set release time to zero, or same as decay time). I don't have a Minitaur hooked up to check this directly at the moment.

Hope this info is helpful or at least interesting ;)

Amos

fedy

Post by fedy » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:45 pm

Hi,

I have just bought my first synth - Minitaur. I am really happy with the sound, but problems
with the VST editor and Moog USB MIDI driver makes me really disappointed.

I am using Windows 7 and having the same problem. Installation of Moog MIDI USB driver works
OK, but connecting Minitaur says Error #10. I got it working once, after disconnecting USB
no luck anymore. With standard Windows MIDI interface it works OK with all the disadvantages.

Looking forward to any updates !

Tomas

JimmyGiant

Post by JimmyGiant » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:06 am

Thanks for the reply on the release issue Amos I'll test it out when I get to using it.

The driver issue however, is quite serious. I had some luck screwing with the new driver before, but now it just says I don't have the right driver for Win7 64b when I try to reinstall it. When I reboot, it disables in Device Manager and if I uninstall it and recan the hardware (kepping the driver), the old windows driver reinstalls.

There is a serious problem with this driver as many people are having issues. I hope it's being addressed.
Jimmy Giant

fedy

Post by fedy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:48 am

JimmyGiant wrote:Thanks for the reply on the release issue Amos I'll test it out when I get to using it.

The driver issue however, is quite serious. I had some luck screwing with the new driver before, but now it just says I don't have the right driver for Win7 64b when I try to reinstall it. When I reboot, it disables in Device Manager and if I uninstall it and recan the hardware (kepping the driver), the old windows driver reinstalls.

There is a serious problem with this driver as many people are having issues. I hope it's being addressed.

I've got an email reply from MOOG yesterday -

The programmers are hoping to have a fix for that by the end of next week. Thanks for your patience.

Thanks,

ANDY HUGHES

Solum

Post by Solum » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:31 am

It finally works on my Mac, the Minitaur can now be used as supposed to.

JimmyGiant

Post by JimmyGiant » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:56 pm

fedy wrote:
I've got an email reply from MOOG yesterday -

The programmers are hoping to have a fix for that by the end of next week. Thanks for your patience.

Thanks,

ANDY HUGHES

Hey, thanks fedy. Much appreciated.
Jimmy Giant

Purusha

Post by Purusha » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:58 am

I've been having problems using the USB MIDI driver with the new release. I've had to go back to using the MIDI port on the Minitaur.

I'm on Windows 8.1 64 bit, and when I load a Cubase project which is set up to use the USB MIDI to Minitaur, Cubase (7.5.3 64 bit) locks up.
Voyager Performer, Minitaur
Cubase 8.5, Ableton 9, various hardware sequencers
OSX El Capitan on MacPro (cylinder) and MacBookPro.

JimmyGiant

Post by JimmyGiant » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:50 pm

Any update on a new driver?
Jimmy Giant

fedy

Post by fedy » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:00 pm

JimmyGiant wrote:Any update on a new driver?

not yet. have sent them an email today.

Purusha

Post by Purusha » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:43 pm

For info: my problems with the MIDI driver may have been related to accidentally sending MIDI clock over that link.

I think it was then ending back up in my DAW and confusing things.

...but I'm finding it easiest to use the standard MIDI connnector anyhow. Especially if I'm using one of my hardware sequencers.
Voyager Performer, Minitaur
Cubase 8.5, Ableton 9, various hardware sequencers
OSX El Capitan on MacPro (cylinder) and MacBookPro.

strum

Post by strum » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:35 am

I have the Minitaur connected by USB with midi enabled in both directions.

I also have CV going into the Filter.

What's weird is the the Filter Cutoff in the Editor doesn't animate with Filter CV, but it does animate with Velocity CV if I map that to Filter Cut off.
MacBookPro11,3 - 16GB - 2.5GHz i7
macOS 10.11.6