Minitaur v3.0 editor and v2.1 firmware released!

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Amos

Re: Minitaur v3.0 editor and v2.1 firmware released!

Post by Amos » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:24 pm

andow wrote:Great! I'll try as soon as possible!
What are the changes in the new firmware?
no big changes this time around; the main thing is that it slows down sysex output a bit in order to avoid occasional dropped characters, which I had seen in previous firmware. When this happened, it caused problems with the Editor.

The other change is that the new Windows driver required some new MIDI port names to be defined in the firmware, so that when you are using the driver, the Minitaur identifies its MIDI ports as "Moog Minitaur In" and "Moog Minitaur Out".

spin

Post by spin » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:11 am

None is experiencing crashes using minitaur editor 3.04 on osx? It constantly happens for me when open/close/reopen the editor GUI

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:30 am

spin wrote:None is experiencing crashes using minitaur editor 3.04 on osx? It constantly happens for me when open/close/reopen the editor GUI
My Mac was having some OS problems and I had to update its operating system... I am now running OSX 10.10 Yosemite (beta; public release is supposed to be next week). I tested Minitaur Editor 3.04 in Logic Pro X and Ableton Live 9.0.6 on OSX 10.10 and I could close and re-open the editor GUI as many times as I wanted, with no crashing.

MC

Post by MC » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:17 am

Running mac osx 10.8.5 64bit, installed f/w 2.1.1 and editor 3.0.4. Recommend that you restart OSX after installing the editor.

No longer getting the "hardware disconnected" problem with the editor. Using the USB port. Pot I/O works, patch dumps works. Can drag editor presets to the MT (use a GET command first!!!).

I have a 49 key USB controller hooked up to the mac. I can change MIDI Input to the controller in the editor; the editor is receiving MIDI from the controller but I can't get note on messages to the MT via USB. MIDI channels are matched, tried different channels. Octave should be low enough to trigger MIDI note numbers in the MT's range. The controller does trigger sounds in Garage Band and Sibelius. I don't have a DAW or MIDI port on my Mac (my MIDI music system is actually my old wfw311 computer in the basement). I was expecting to use the MT editor in conjunction with my USB keyboard to trigger sounds on the MT. Can the editor work this way or do I need to trigger sounds using a MIDI controller not a USB controller?
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

syntheticjuice

Post by syntheticjuice » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:49 am

Win7, 64bit vst, Maschine 2..

The physical volume knob doesnt seem to change the vol on the computer sceen? (doesnt look like its sending midi?)

Still seems to have the occasional problem on project loading, i dont get any sound, till i load a preset, and move the virt volume all the way down and back up (or at least thats my sure fix)

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:06 pm

MC wrote:I have a 49 key USB controller hooked up to the mac. [...] I was expecting to use the MT editor in conjunction with my USB keyboard to trigger sounds on the MT. Can the editor work this way or do I need to trigger sounds using a MIDI controller not a USB controller?
Hi MC! I'm glad that the Editor is now usable in your set-up.

Regarding this specific question, for now you would need a MIDI controller to trigger sounds in conjunction with the stand-alone editor. In order to do what you were expecting, we'd need to add a second MIDI Input selection to the Editor for your USB controller (so the editor would be 2 in, 1 out: In from the controller for MIDI notes, in from the Minitaur, out to the Minitaur). This is a much-requested feature that was overlooked in our initial spec; I hope to get it added in a future Editor update.

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:11 pm

syntheticjuice wrote:Win7, 64bit vst, Maschine 2..

The physical volume knob doesnt seem to change the vol on the computer sceen? (doesnt look like its sending midi?)

Still seems to have the occasional problem on project loading, i dont get any sound, till i load a preset, and move the virt volume all the way down and back up (or at least thats my sure fix)
Correct, the physical volume knob is a simple pure-analog control which does not send MIDI.
The physical volume knob is separate from, and in addition to, a "MIDI volume" or "preset volume" setting which exists within the Minitaur... what you are calling the virtual volume. I think the problem you are having with no sound on loading is due to this virtual volume somehow being set to, or saved at, zero.

One thing you might try is going into the Editor SETTINGS page, and in the Minitaur Global Settings set "Load Preset Volume" to OFF.

rredwermm

Post by rredwermm » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:10 am

Amos wrote: New USB MIDI Driver for Windows (this is a release version):

Keep getting error during install. Windows 8.1 64 bit

Application and firmware installed fine.

syntheticjuice

Post by syntheticjuice » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:04 pm

Thanks Amos, I think that was it.
Amos wrote:
syntheticjuice wrote:Win7, 64bit vst, Maschine 2..

Correct, the physical volume knob is a simple pure-analog control which does not send MIDI.
The physical volume knob is separate from, and in addition to, a "MIDI volume" or "preset volume" setting which exists within the Minitaur... what you are calling the virtual volume. I think the problem you are having with no sound on loading is due to this virtual volume somehow being set to, or saved at, zero.

One thing you might try is going into the Editor SETTINGS page, and in the Minitaur Global Settings set "Load Preset Volume" to OFF.

Euphonix Pilot

Post by Euphonix Pilot » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:45 pm

Hi Amos and everyone else,
I received the update email and followed directions.
Did it twice and my Minitaur is still showing disconnected.

Up to date OSX 10.9.5 iMac 3.4 i7 16gigs ram and restarted after each sysex.

Any advice from anyone that is successful on OSX?

Sorry to be "that" guy and really want this to work.

JimmyGiant

Post by JimmyGiant » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:37 pm

I pulled down the new 3.0.4 editor and 2.23.0 driver and have issues. I updated the Minitaur to 2.1.1 first.
The driver doesn't work on my Win 7 64bit PC. Just installs as a failed driver.
Also, most noticeably anyway, the Release button doesn't toggle when set from the editor. Since I've just gotten around to hooking this up I'm in early stages of troubleshooting.
Biggest problem right now is the malfunctioning driver. Anyone else having issues with this?

JG
Jimmy Giant

AX11

Post by AX11 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:22 pm

rredwermm wrote:

Same here, Windows 7 64bit. USB-Driver installs with some minor error (unsigned driver, blah..) but does not work. The Minitaur is listed in the device manager but its' status is "Device can not be started (Error 10)".

Transistor

Post by Transistor » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:11 am

AX11 wrote:
rredwermm wrote:

Same here, Windows 7 64bit. USB-Driver installs with some minor error (unsigned driver, blah..) but does not work. The Minitaur is listed in the device manager but its' status is "Device can not be started (Error 10)".
Here as well, Win7/64, same error code.

r,
j,

syntheticjuice

Post by syntheticjuice » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:17 pm

Ah, I posted about this in the other thread, and i see this too, even with the latest official release. Unsigned drivers, which i allow anyways for this instance. Then error code 10's. Win7 64 bit. Oddly, i think i have better success when i'm using my usb3 ports.

AX11

Post by AX11 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:04 am

Yes. Seems quite odd - the funniest thing about the driver(s) is that everything seems to work just perfectly with the old (or, to be precise, W7s generic USB-audio) driver. No problems finding the correct input/output pairs, VSTI version of editor working perfectly fine in Live 9: Single MIDI track, no quirks or workarounds, just keeping Live from directly accessing the MT and turn on "MIDI echo" in the plugin editors' setup.
Exactly the kind of things the new driver should be needed for, as I understood.
So this might not be an actual problem, but it seems to me that it might easily become one if this unexpected behaviour might ever change with future updates. Things that are working for unknown reasons IMHO are a way too fragile foundation to build, p.e., a live set upon.