Minitaur Editor - Hardware Disconnected

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Amos

Re: Minitaur Editor - Hardware Disconnected

Post by Amos » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:49 pm

MainStage crash is something I'll look into ASAP...

meanwhile, about the "hardware disconnected" problem.
Users who are familiar with Minitaur firmware-update process, who would like to try a beta firmware version, please try this:

http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/mi ... v2_1_1.zip

I have made a change to the USB MIDI output and I'd like to know if it affects the "hardware disconnected" problem.

Please try it *(if you want, at your own risk) and let me know the result. Thank you!

Amos

jkanizzle

Post by jkanizzle » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:26 pm

Amos,

I'm one of those with the problem on PC/7 64 bit. Going to download now and I'll get back to you. Thank YOU!

jkanizzle

Post by jkanizzle » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:50 am

Still not working. :(

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:45 am

OK, thanks for checking! That rules out one possibility.

As soon as sub37 is released, we will proceed with developing a custom USB MIDI driver; which I still think is the probable solution for most users who are still having this problem. Thanks for your patience, and stay tuned.

All the best,

Amos

jkanizzle

Post by jkanizzle » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:10 pm

As I have a sub 37 on preorder, I approve this message. ;-)

MC

Post by MC » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:32 pm

Minitaur arrived yesterday with f/w 2.1.0

Running mac osx 10.8.5, also getting the "hardware disconnected" problem with the editor. Using the USB port.

I have a USB 49 key midi controller hooked up to the mac. The editor is receiving MIDI from the controller but I can't get note on messages to the MT via USB.

BTW this thing is a beast. For a bass synthesizer it projects that "oomph" as well as my T3 and T1. Nice work.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Jwan72

Post by Jwan72 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:51 pm

Tried the 2.1.1 firmware update. Still getting the hardware disconnected problem.
I'm on a recent mac mini running mavericks. Got only usb 3 ports, tried also through a powered usb 2 hub, but no success.
The thing is, I love that thing.
Love it more than my sub phatty, but not being able to use the editor ( mostly for presets ) makes it useless.

Guess i am taking it back to the store. :(
I will buy instantly again when the problem is fixed !

bysbox1

Post by bysbox1 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:56 pm

Are you using the editor when you see the hardware disconnected error? Are you running the Plugin or in Standalone?

The reason why I ask is because the plugin uses an application called Minitaur MidiPortHandler. When you open the plugin, it also launches this handler; it appears this handler communicates with the plugin and hardware. When you close your DAW, the handler does not release the process in windows, so when you open the plugin or standalone again the ports are in use and you get the "hardware disconnected" error.

I don't remember seeing this error in previous versions, so it's either the DAW, software or the firmware causing it. Ableton just updated to 9.1.3, and have not used the editor much in Ableton because of the bugs. IIRC FL Studio worked fine, but I have not used that in a few weeks. Cubase was working, but buggy.

I'm at a point where I don't use the editor until they get the bugs fixed. Which is unfortunate because I work so much in the box that editors like this make is easier for me to integrate hardware. So now I'm at a point where I don't use the minitaur at all.

If you are using Ableon there is a Max for Live editor that I know works well. I may go back to that for Ableton Projects. It does not save presets on the minitaur, but it does save the presets in Ableton. That may make the experience easier. Here is the link for it:

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... ur-control

You can also run the standalone version side by side with Ableton. In Windows you have to make sure they do not share midi ports. It's not integrated, which is why I don't do this, but it does work. The standalone version for some reason does not use the MidiPortHandler.

In the meanwhile, I need to confirm if this issue occurs in Cubase as well.

bysbox1

Post by bysbox1 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:24 pm

Okay. Just tested Cubase and saw the same issue.

I downgraded to firmware 2.0.0.32 and the problem went away.

I upgraded to the beta firmware Amos provided (2.1.1) on this page, and the issue went away.

So it's definitely a firmware issue. I will test more, but hopefully that will take care of that problem.

bysbox1

Post by bysbox1 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:47 pm

Well I spoke too soon!

The 2.1.1 firmware breaks the USB composite device on Windows 7. After you run the update, the driver crashes and will not start. Then you can not connect to the Minotaur at all . . . . :evil:

So I went back to the 2.0.0.32 firmware. That was the last most stable firmware for me. It works fine with the latest editor both in standalone and plugin.

I'll wait until Moog sorts out their software/firmware issues and I get a solid confirmation before I upgrade again.

spin

Post by spin » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:43 am

Any news Amos about 'disconnected' issue?

Systolic

Post by Systolic » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:26 pm

spin wrote:Any news Amos about 'disconnected' issue?
Sounds like we have to wait for the release of the sub37... Which is supposed to be August, but some are saying it has been pushed to November.

spin

Post by spin » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:56 am

Systolic wrote:
spin wrote:Any news Amos about 'disconnected' issue?
Sounds like we have to wait for the release of the sub37... Which is supposed to be August, but some are saying it has been pushed to November.
wow, the neverending wait continue. It's more than 2 years waiting for a working editor/plugin to use minitaur in the studio. It is a very long wait moog :(

Systolic

Post by Systolic » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:39 pm

With Windows, It seems that it isn't the Minitaur MidiPortHandler.exe that is the issue. When it shows disconnected, besides restarting the plug in, you have open task manager and close the port handler as well. Then open the plug in again. This works, but for some reason, sometimes it takes multiple tries.

It seems that sometimes the port handler doesn't open when you start the plug in, AND it definitely doesn't close when you close the plug in. So, if it is already open and you restart the plug in, the plug in will show disconnected.

Also, something odd that I noticed; with 2.1.1, under setting, it sometimes shows the firmware version correctly as 2.1.1, but sometimes it shows "invalid sysex", but it still works.

cmyk

Post by cmyk » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:43 am

I am having the same problem too.

I tried the Amos FW 2.1.1 & 2.1, but I get the hardware disconnected option.

Frustratingly, it was working before the update. I can't find the older firmware to downgrade & I have a gig I was hoping to use the Minitaur for.

Also, I get a few stuck notes when triggering from DSI Tempest. Is there a way to stop stuck notes without restarting the device?