No audio in ableton

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
mickeyash

No audio in ableton

Post by mickeyash » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:05 pm

Hi, received my Minitaur today! Sadly, my parade got rained on. Here's my experience so far:

Plugged Minitaur in, followed Amos' lead on the first Minitaur + DAW video, but got no audio from the Minitaur in Ableton except a constant output, which sounds like invariant white noise.
Plugged my headphones into the back of the Minitaur and I can hear it responding to my midi input (an Ableton Push,) no problem.
Unplug the headphones from the Minitaur, still no audio from Minitaur in Ableton except white noise.
I updated the Minitaur firmware to version 2.0.28, still no dice.
Checked the Serial cable inside the synth, and it's fully connected.

In Ableton, I have the Minitaur set up as an external instrument, midi from all ins, midi to Minitaur ch. 1, audio from 1.
The audio levels in Ableton show that constant white noise output from the Minitaur. You can see this in this screenshot http://i.imgur.com/Y7Npl4t.jpg .

Any thoughts? Thanks!

mickeyash

Re: No audio in ableton

Post by mickeyash » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:03 pm

Is there a good way I could test the USB audio output of the Minitaur outside of Ableton, so I can eliminate the software as a variable?

psynthetic

Post by psynthetic » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:00 pm

What are you sending the audio into? What interface? Is that input setup to receive the correct kind of signal? EG: Line level not Mic level.

The fact that you're getting white noise is a bit strange :/

mickeyash

Post by mickeyash » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:35 am

Ahh, I think I see what I missed. I'm ashamed. I had (probably naively,) expected there to be audio over the USB interface alone. Am I correct that I need an audio interface, and then I should go 1/4" TRS from the Minitaur to an interface, to PC? It seems so obvious now (probably because it was the first thing he said :roll: .)
Last edited by mickeyash on Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psynthetic

Post by psynthetic » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:23 pm

Yup thats the one. Don't worry, you're not the first person to assume that a Moog synth supports Audio over USB.

If you don't already have an audio interface but your rig/laptop has an audio line input you could probably whack an adapter on and use until you can get an interface, not sure what your budget is like.

If you're looking at a cheap interface something like the Red range from Focusrite is suitable, can get a couple channels for a couple hundred bucks and it's no big loss if you outgrow it one day..

Something like a Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 or 24 is a good unit that will last a bit longer perhaps… or something like the Komplete Audio 6 from NI...

mickeyash

Post by mickeyash » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:12 pm

Okay, for the time being I have it coming in through my line-in on my sound card. I'll grab an interface soon. Thanks for the help! Already having a lot of fun with this little guy. :mrgreen:

psynthetic

Post by psynthetic » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:17 pm

Yup, Ableton/Push and the Moog Minitaur are a great match for each other.

ludacrisca

Post by ludacrisca » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:59 pm

i have a M-AUDIO moblie-pre

in ableton
and i have the same problem it receives signal and it sounds only when i plug my headphones direct into my synth

but when i connect the headphones to the interface, no sound, still reciving signal
:(