Static Sounding noise when using minitaur with DAW

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
jonwoodall

Static Sounding noise when using minitaur with DAW

Post by jonwoodall » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:52 am

Hi guys,

I'm sorry if something has been posted about this already, I've been searching the internet for the past 4 days and can't seem to find anything that can help.

Ok, so as the subject says, I'm having problems with my new Minitaur.

The main problem I am having, is that I get a static, electronic sounding buzz/hum when I open an external instrument (I have tried with both Logic 9 and Ableton 9) and choose channel 2 (Where I send the audio out of minitaur) I get this when the USB cable is connected, but also when it is not (while just trying to use the moog with a midi cable). I plugged my headphones directly into the minitaur and there is no noise.

I am using Logic 9 or ableton 9, with a Native Instruments Audio 8 soundcard, iMac, and using a 2x Phono RCA To 2x 1/4 inch Jack Leads. With the minituar being mono, I'm only using 1 of the jacks plugged into the minitaur and 1 phono into the soundcard. Could this have anything to do with it?

2nd, the editor doesn't seem to do anything, I have downloaded it, opened it and even had sound from my Minitaur while using only the USB connection, but I can't seem to change the presets and knobs are not corresponding to the hardware.

If someone could help me out, I'd be very grateful :)

jonwoodall

Re: Static Sounding noise when using minitaur with DAW

Post by jonwoodall » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:49 am

I've done a bit more research and asked a few friends who say it's called "Ground loop noise"... It's just throwing me a bit as it happens when I don't have a USB cable plugged into the minitaur, maybe it's the USB cable on my Audio 8 Soundcard that's creating the loop?

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:21 pm

i think there was thread here about some USB connectors making a buzz but I haven't experienced it
maybe try a search?

For me so far Minitaur problems have been solved with a power off and reboot
or worst case scenario FW erase & update
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

jonwoodall

Post by jonwoodall » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:40 am

Just to let anyone reading know I've sorted it. Changed the USB cable on my sound card for another one with a Ferrite on it and now the buzz is minimal. I tried with a friends cable first (from his soundcard) and it went away almost completely in Logic but still there in ableton.

Cheers, minitaur sounds great!!

secmast

Post by secmast » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:08 am

Looks like a ground loop to me.
Is there any other device connected to that audio card ?
The audio 8 is connected to the mac using USB, it is therefore directly connected to your home ground.
Try to remove all unnecessary USB connected device.
Connect the Audio 8 directly to the MAC.
Change the Mac wall power plug to another circuit if possible.
Isolate the Mac ground pin just for a test ! Don't forget you need it as the mac is made of aluminium but it will give you some troubleshooting tips.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:03 am

This might help you further into resolving this issue: http://www.native-instruments.com/knowl ... loop%29%3F
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra