microbrute cv/gate out - minitaur in = out of tune

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
an3

microbrute cv/gate out - minitaur in = out of tune

Post by an3 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:40 am

ive got my microbrute CV gate out + pitch out connected to my minitaur and the mintiaur is way out of tune here, impossible to fix with fine tune, done caliberations & reset

arturias cv mapping is as follows

C0 = 16.35Hz -> 0V -> midi 12
C1 = 32.7Hz -> 1V -> midi 24
C2 = 65.4Hz -> 2V -> midi 36
C3 = 130.8Hz -> 3V -> midi 48
C4 = 261.62Hz -> 4V -> midi 60
C5 = 523.25Hz -> 5V -> midi 72
C6 = 1046.5Hz -> 6V -> midi 84
C7 = 2093Hz -> 7V -> midi 96
C8 = 4186Hz -> 8V -> midi 108
C9 = 8372Hz ->9V -> midi 120

i m of course aware of the key limitations of the minitaur

wordsdrawnigh

Re: microbrute cv/gate out - minitaur in = out of tune

Post by wordsdrawnigh » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:09 am

I'm pretty sure the Microbrute, though V/Oct, outputs CV from 0 to 10v, whereas the Minitaur only accepts CV from 0 to 5v. Perhaps running it through an attenuator would help? I'm pretty new to CV though, so this could be totally wrong. (Is the voltage difference more a concern with LFOs and other CV as opposed to pitch? Would the difference in CV range mean that the Minitaur is only able to accept pitch control from C0 to C5?)

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:24 am

When you say that you calibrated the Minitaur, are you talking about the procedure where by you provide reference voltage into Pitch CV input then execute a SysEx send of a given command?
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

an3

Post by an3 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:30 am

wordsdrawnigh: :> micromanual specs says : The Gate is a standard positive going 0-5V gate. / The CV inputs and outputs are standard 1V per octave.
so should be no probs there

EMwhite :>

ive runs these two scripts:

_Minitaur_Note_Cal_n10-n72_Cmd
_Minitaur_Pitch_CV_RESET_Cmd

but unaware u had to send voltages for reference. gonna try that tnght! if i understood u right u are talking a bout: _Minitaur_Pitch_CV_RESET_Cmd
?!

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:52 am

"note calibration" only tunes the oscillators relative to MIDI notes.

"pitch cv reset" actually does the opposite of "calibrating" the Pitch CV input - rather, it resets it to some default settings that are close but not exact. This function will be improved in an upcoming firmware release.

What you really want, however, is two additional sysex commands: "external pitch 1V cal" and "external pitch 4V cal". These two files actually calibrate the external pitch CV input... the idea is, you play octave 1 on your CV controller, record that as the "1V" calibration point.. then play octave 4 on your CV controller and record that as the "4V" calibration point.

In the case of your Brute, you would hook up the CV and play C1, then send the 1V calibration sysex to the Minitaur... then play C4 on the Brute and send the 4V calibration sysex to the Minitaur.

Here are the files:

http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/mi ... 1V_Cal.syx
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/mi ... 4V_Cal.syx

an3

Post by an3 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:22 am

nt sure if i take the right octave 4 C1 and C4, and how to incorperate repeating octaves.. still sounds bad :(

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:35 am

hmm, I wonder. If you play a low C for the 1V calibration, and a C that is 3 octaves higher than the low C for the 4V calibration, it should work, unless the problem is that the Microbrute CV output is not actually linear.

The minitaur is assuming a linear CV output... even if it's 0.8 V per octave or 1.2V per octave, as long as you do the calibration correctly you should get an in-tune result from the Minitaur... I have tested this myself with a a controller that output linear pitch-CV that was not exactly 1V per octave, and I got good, in-tune tracking from the Minitaur after calibrating the Minitaur to the pitch CV from this controller.

I don't understand what you mean by "incorporate repeating octaves". Perhaps you are not doing something correctly. Can you describe exactly what you do when trying to do this calibration, step by step?
Last edited by Amos on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

an3

Post by an3 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:15 pm

.well the microbrute is def. not linear in its CV output. i did the same procedure with the qunexus controller and conected the cv of the microbrute again. in tune ! what i mean is that halfway +1 octave on the minibrute (A#4) it stops going further repetaing the octave and just repeats the same tone

an3

Post by an3 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:17 pm

hello amos :0. can u pelase give me the exact note cumber for 1v and 4v
ciao

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:04 pm

looks like if you are playing notes on your microbrute it would be c1 = note 24 = 1V, and c4 = note 60 = 4V.
so connect pitch-CV output from microbrute to pitch-CV input of Minitaur... play C1 / note 24 on microbrute... then send ext cv 1v calibration sysex to the minitaur. then play c4 / note 60 on the microbrute, and send Ext. CV 4V calibration sysex to the Minitaur. That should do it. Result: minitaur should track pitch-CV from microbrute correctly.*

*the Minitaur pitch still won't go any higher than C5. But below C5 it will track pitch CV from the microbrute.

an3

Post by an3 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:40 am

actually i returned the micro, too much unstable oscilator over the whole range of octave. i want my qunexus to caliberate.
merry Xmas!

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:04 am

Ah OK, well whatever is your controller that outputs CV, try the note numbers I mentioned and see if it works... merry xmas and good luck :)

jbl

Post by jbl » Wed May 14, 2014 7:45 pm

Omg, I feel like I'm diving deep here. I have a microbrute and want to try this but have only just gotten into the cv/gate world. I'm wondering if I can patch multiple points between these two and make a combined three (?) oscillator synth with one synth going through the other. First I'll try and calibrate (lord help me with this, I really don't get). Then I'll just experiment. Is there anything I shouldn't do?

ronshatzmill

Post by ronshatzmill » Mon May 19, 2014 10:46 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to do the same thing, but with mini brute to the miniatur. I ran the 1V at C1 and 4V calibration at C4 and it still doesn't work. The scale is all wacky and doesn't play the specified pitches.

Has anyone else out there figured out how to get this to work correctly?

I don't have a multimeter, but will try to borrow one and see what the CV pitch out from the miniature is actually producing.

Thanks!

Ron

Umerik

Post by Umerik » Tue May 20, 2014 11:37 am

ronshatzmill wrote:Hello everyone,

I'm trying to do the same thing, but with mini brute to the miniatur. I ran the 1V at C1 and 4V calibration at C4 and it still doesn't work. The scale is all wacky and doesn't play the specified pitches.

Has anyone else out there figured out how to get this to work correctly?

I don't have a multimeter, but will try to borrow one and see what the CV pitch out from the miniature is actually producing.

Thanks!

Ron
I would love to know how it works out Ron. I too have a Minibrute and Minitaur and have never been able to get the two to play well together via CV. My minitaur Pitch CV has always been whacky. I thought maybe with the new firmware and editor it would fix it, but alas, it did not.