Strange minitaur noise

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
absentmusic1

Strange minitaur noise

Post by absentmusic1 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:55 am

And the next prob with my Minitaur.
Im sorry if i dont use the correct words in englisch.
But it would be very nice if someone can help me out.
Im not sure if the problem was there all the time
or i just recognized it yesterday.
After i played a note on the Mini and the note is off,
I can hear a noise comming from the Audio Output.
Its very silent.
But when i get a little more gain on the mixer
i can hear the last note i played, will be very silently repeated in the mini
all the time. If i turn down the Low cut or the Osc then the noise is gone.
If i play an other key, the background noise changes to the note i played.
If i power up the mini, there is no background noise.
The silent note repeat noise starts after i played a note (no matter midi or usb)
Sounds like a feedback in the mini ?
I made an Update to 2.10 and not sure if it depends on this.
Went bach to 2.07, but still the same

ALB

Re: Strange minitaur noise

Post by ALB » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:28 pm

same for me.
like a gate that is not well... gated ?
something to do with a calibration mode or something else ?
at home for rehersals, it's boring but well, ok, but on stage, on big systems it's veeeery shitty.

still waiting for a REAL 3.0 update with aaaall the troubles mentionned X 150 everywhere on this forum resolved (sustain....? save a preset that still have the same sound after saving, and located at the same place ? an editor that really works ?

many efforts have been made since 2.0 and 2.8 is far better but...
PLEASE !! we are users, not beta testers

THX

mydni

Post by mydni » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:07 am

Same here : strange noise each time I release a note (2.0.10)
Had to return to 2.0.0, the noise is gone.
I completely agree with the previous poster, we're not beta testers, it's time to make (please) something that really works (presets, editor...) !!!
The sound of this little thing is so nice, a bit sad...
Thks

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:28 pm

mydni wrote:Same here : strange noise each time I release a note (2.0.10)
OK, I found the cause of this. It is totally not mysterious.

It is exactly an offset which I added to the volume CV and certain other CV signals... the reason is that (in the analog VCA circuit) there is a certain "off" threshold for the VCA, which is somewhere above zero volts CV. If the envelopes go all the way to zero, that means they are going below the "off threshold"... which means the VCA is actually completely closed before the envelope release is finished.

By adding a small offset, the end result should be a smoother and more natural envelope release.

Too much offset, and the VCA never completely closes. I used too much offset. Its possible that my test unit has a higher than average offset in the analog circuit, such that it was not a good unit to use as a reference for this... or possibly the users who have noticed and reported this sound have units with unusually-low offset in the VCA.

In any case, I will revert to no CV offset by default, which was the v2.0.0 behaviour... and perhaps I'll add a way to calibrate this offset exactly to a given analog VCA. That will allow best performance for all units.

Cheers,

Amos

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:59 pm

Amos wrote:
mydni wrote:Same here : strange noise each time I release a note (2.0.10)
In any case, I will revert to no CV offset by default, which was the v2.0.0 behaviour... and perhaps I'll add a way to calibrate this offset exactly to a given analog VCA.
This might explain why I had to lower the range of both antennae plugged to the CVs from the EW+, in order to use the expected range of any parameter. Actually, when they were both above 2 o'clock, Minitaur's tuning began to behave really weird.
I think this adjusment should even have a calibration feature... I have to confirm yet if the behavior works as expected on version 2.0.0, though :roll:
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:33 am

bichuelo wrote:This might explain why I had to lower the range of both antennae plugged to the CVs from the EW+, in order to use the expected range of any parameter.
I think that's a different thing -- the EW+ CV outputs have a big range, up to +10V output... and the Minitaur CV input maximum is +5V. So, it's normal you would have to reduce the CV output of the theremin quite a bit in order to map it to the Minitaur's CV range correctly.

SLVRWLF

Post by SLVRWLF » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:31 pm

Hey. Same issue here. Already contacted tech-support but now found this thread...

I have been experiencing this problem for a long time using FW 2_0_0. Just updated my FW to 2_0_16 but the noise is still there (same goes for 2_0_14 / 2_0_15).

Is there any solution yet?

I made a little recording of the noise: http://www.file-upload.net/download-814 ... m.mp3.html

Maybe someone could verify that this is the noise mentioned above. Maybe it's a completely different issue after all....

Thanks 8)

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:18 pm

SLVRWLF wrote: Maybe someone could verify that this is the noise mentioned above. Maybe it's a completely different issue after all....
Thanks 8)
hi, that's a different issue I think... I'm looking into it separately from the "vca not closing completely between notes" as I would describe the issue discussed (and solved!) in this thread. Stand by for further developments. :)

SLVRWLF

Post by SLVRWLF » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:54 am

Ok. Thank you!

Tech-support suggested to update my firmware... Unfortunately that doesn't help at all.

SLVRWLF

Post by SLVRWLF » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:28 pm

Hey. Is there any news on my issue? In the meantime I have even sent my minitaur back to the store and they checked it. Unfortunately my problem is still unsolved...

Something interesting: I recently checked a friends minitaur in my studio setup. The same noise was audible (in the same frequence range) but it was much quieter than the one on my minitaur.

Here is the recording of my problem again:

http://www.file-upload.net/download-814 ... m.mp3.html