T3 Access Cover

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Scott Rolf

T3 Access Cover

Post by Scott Rolf » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:20 pm

I hadn't logged onto the micro site in a while and saw that a video was posted showing in time-lapse photography the assembly of the T3.
It clearly showed the entire top control panel being raised like the hood of a car. Has anyone tried (for whatever reason) doing this?
Rael Imperial Aerosol Kid

EricK

Re: T3 Access Cover

Post by EricK » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:07 pm

When I visited the factory prior to the T3 being shipped, they had built a prop for the cover to hold it up. Hopefully whomever raises the hood has the prop.

I removed the bottom of the Taurus, but not the top.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:39 am

Moog, being a small shop manufactures various jigs and shelving, often out of wood. You won't find 10,000 chinese factory workers sitting on stools or factory style assembly line rollers, instead it's traditionally been a single "line" with a few stations along the way.

In the case of the Taurus 3 video, the tech is shown "hanging" the top edge of the panel on a rod which runs left to right and is slotted into groves on either side of a wood frame; The bottom of the panel just hangs but if you watch closely, they use a block of wood on either side.

So it's not hinged (like old Oberheim OB* and Matrix synths) and certainly can't stay up on its own (similar to Little Phatty construction; once the sides are removed and screws out, the panel just floats and only gravity keeps it in place.)
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Scott Rolf

Post by Scott Rolf » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:45 pm

I can see that now. Thanks.
Rael Imperial Aerosol Kid