How do I set my Moogerfoogers "behind" my Taurus..

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Gith

How do I set my Moogerfoogers "behind" my Taurus..

Post by Gith » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:04 pm

Hi folks,

Got a new setup with my Taurus 3 underneath a Gibraltar drum rig.. want to use my 4 moogerfoogers (and CP251) with my feet as i'll need my hands free for drumming.. If they were above and behind the Taurus panel controls and wheels, this would be ideal.. but to fix something that's solid is the problem.. Obviously they cant be vertical as I need access to the switches, but some patching will be done during a set. if they were to the side in a traditional 'pedal board' style.. it would be harder to perform accurately and so would lessen their usefulness (and also space in my studio at least is a concern).. Ive thought about some sort of rack kit setup behind and at an angle so I can punch those bypass/tempo switches, but most options seem to be making a big structure for something which I want a simple elegant solution..

Any ideas? Anyone thought about this before?

Cheers..

Aaron.
[url]https://soundcloud.com/subliminalsandwich/sets/codex-provocateur[/url]

psynthetic

Re: How do I set my Moogerfoogers "behind" my Taurus..

Post by psynthetic » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:20 pm

I've been looking into the MP-201 multipedals for similar(ish) reasons for my Taurus also. Except when I look into them they get mixed reports from their owners.. But it would give you a convenient way to control multiple moogerfoogers depending what you're looking to do i guess..?

A new version with MIDI etc would be excellent... but for the time being their is no sign of that happening... Though i was thinking that i could maybe get similar results if i can find a sturdy LFO w/ a mult (CP-251 maybe....) and sine wave + option of MIDI sync or Tap tempo. (Triangle wave LFO on the T3 is infuriating me sometimes when i hear that peak..) but that wouldn't be a very good stage rig.. without a crafty way of keeping it all together and protected..

There are also 19" rack mounting kits available for Moogerfoogers so maybe you could adapt something like that for your purposes. Depends how good you are with tools I suppose?

Bought my first stompbox for my Taurus 3 just yesterday actually.. Electro Harmonix Deluxe Bass Big Muff Pi, pretty damn full on.. the filters are super resonant.. Thinking about putting a simple drive pedal before it for when i want something more subtle and probably one of those MXR 10 channel Graphic EQ stompboxes to scoop out some of the flab before it hits anything else in the chain...

Good luck with your project..

Gith

Post by Gith » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:43 pm

Hi psynthetic,

thanks for your input.. I have heard there are problems with the multi pedal too, but people have said its a really excellent device.. I see a great use for it, but I suppose they didn't sell as many units as needed to keep it in production..

Im actually a modular synth/samplist freak which will be kept a closely guarded secret for the duration of this project.. :) I want to keep things as simple, raw and direct as possible while still satisfying my experimentalist desires.

Ive thought 2 rack kits on some sort of board might work.. but butting up against the vol/control wheels renders them unusable.. it would also mean I would have space for a midi murf! no temptation please.. :) some sort of angled stand/legs with the front of the board resting/fixed on the back of the Taurus might do the job and wouldn't be beyond my DIY capabilities..

Im looking at the EHX pedals also.. specifically the 8 Step.. good value for what you get (especially looking at it from the euro-rack modular world). For tonal shaping, ive got an Evol Audio Fucifier.. infinite flavours of warm to devilish distortion, with nice inductor eq..

Do you have a specific bass amp for your Taurus? Id be interested to hear what works well with it.. I like the look of the orange hybrid Tube/Transistor amp..

psynthetic

Post by psynthetic » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:56 pm

I dont use any dedicated amp for my Taurus.

There was a thread kicking around here with people talking about one unit or the other. But nothing really conclusive. A lot of people seemed to be fans of dual cabs, one with a single large driver and then something on top for the hi freq content.

Depends what you want it for really? If you want something to make it sound good (different) on stage, go some kinda amp with character, tubes etc.. If you just wanna know what noise your gear is actually making as you tune your presets so that you can trust the sound your hearing is the Taurus and not your amp then I'd suggest studio monitors.

I work from a studio/engineers perspective, so I've always listened to my Taurus through monitors, via preamps, interface etc.. Haven't been making my own music very long at all, I've always been much better at working on other peoples multitracks in Pro Tools, but lately i've started fooling around in Ableton to make my own stuff.

For what it's worth, i reckon the only way you'll hear whats really happening in the deepest darkest depths of your T3 is with these ;)
http://www.genelec.com/products/7073a/

psynthetic

Post by psynthetic » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:00 pm

I actually hadn't heard of the 8 Step before.. Only just started looking at stompboxes recently (again from a studio perspective they always seemed kinda sloppy/out of control to me.. starting to come around a little bit on that now) and this one looks right up my alley..

Gith

Post by Gith » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:57 am

Hmmm yes.. dual cab seems a good idea.. if I was going to go that way it would be pretty new territory for me aswell.. It would be for individual tone and stage presence rather than quality of reproduction.. Would be good to mic it up but am a studio guy myself (KRK VXT8s here).

Ableton seems very flexible, APC40 looks a cool interface.. for me, I cant write music with a mouse (and only record into a DAW at the last possible moment).. it just destroys my creativity.

A lot of stomp boxes seem very simple, and don't offer the flexibility im after.. that's why I got a few moogerfoogers.. But at £100 the 8step has a lot going for it..

If you like sequencers, MFB (small german company) and the Oberkorn (from Analogue Solutions) are the best places to head to in my opinion. (stand-alone devices that would work well with the Taurus cv ins) but for a little slice of sequenced action the 8 step has my interest.

marty

Post by marty » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:54 am

The MP-201 seems like a good solution for what you want to do. I almost never bypass my 'foogers; instead I'll use the Mix parameter set at zero. So you can place the pedals anywhere and use an expression pedal to dial-in the effect. The MP-201 is nice because you can set precisely the range of the expression and also program things like CV lag, etc. I've used mine on the road for the last two years and have never had an issue with it.

You ought to be able to do tap tempo via the MP-201, too.

If you don't need precise control you might experiment with setting an Etherwave Pro somewhere in your rig and using its CV outs to modulate your 'foogers in time with your drumming.

Gith

Post by Gith » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:29 pm

Hi marty,

Yeh the multipedal is looking more and more attractive.. That mix control idea is a winner.. so I just punch the output I want to control and whatever voltage range is programmed in is on the pedal? if I can recreate the bypass functions _and_ perform some cv control that would be sweet (obviously my Taurus would have to be sequenced or on arp or something as i don't seem to have enough limbs to function as an entire band!).. there are some shops in the UK that say they can get them in 4-5 weeks, but I don't know if that's just old info..

Ive got an Etherwave plus and im actually at least "slightly" more accurate with it than just flailing your hands in the air and hoping for the best.. :D The "guitar solo" sound on this track is my theremin through distortion and wah.. The Taurus also features on this track.. ignore shameless self promotion at your discretion! :)

https://soundcloud.com/subliminalsandwi ... wine-24bit

I've thought of using it as 2 "invisible" cv drums if you like.. Although the more I think about this project the more gear im adding to it.. :lol:

I have 1 EP2, and might patch this around for each track for the moment cos ive just shelled out on a sE tube microphone so i gotta rein in that ever present gear lust, regardless of what my musical direction demands.. :)