Minitaur firmware update soon - your requests here please

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
nectarios

Re: Minitaur firmware update soon - your requests here pleas

Post by nectarios » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:36 am

Not helping much this post, but for the record, I have 0 problems with V2.0 on my MacBook Pro running Logic Pro 9 on OS 10.6.8.
Eurorack, 5U, x0xb0x, Moog Slim Phatty, MF-102, MF-103, MF-108, CP-251, Beatstep Pro, Nord Lead 1, NI Maschine, MXR-104, ProCo RAT2, Big Muff π Bass, Logic Pro 9.
http://soundcloud.com/martianarts

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:18 am

FW 2.0.7 is working well... on my machine thanks Amos!
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

Kirk Markarian

Post by Kirk Markarian » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:55 pm

Amos,
Looking forward to installing this!

I know I've asked before, but I don't remember getting an answer - would it be possible to extend note playing beyond C5? Regardless of accurate tuning, I would LOVE to hear higher notes (I enjoy an out of tune synth). If at all possible, could it be a setting via software?

Thanks,
Kirk

earthlinger

Post by earthlinger » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:47 am

Kirk Markarian wrote:Amos,
Looking forward to installing this!

I know I've asked before, but I don't remember getting an answer - would it be possible to extend note playing beyond C5? Regardless of accurate tuning, I would LOVE to hear higher notes (I enjoy an out of tune synth). If at all possible, could it be a setting via software?

Thanks,
Kirk
+1 8)

we need to go beyond C5 :arrow: request from someone who is studying microtonality...
expectation of precious & surprising gift from Amos and/or MoogMusic perhaps... :idea:

Motion

Post by Motion » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:49 am

Hi Amos

Just updated to 2.0.7 from 2.0.4

Would you be kind enough to clarify a few issues please related to the upgrade:

Used Sysex lib on OX 10.8.4

Before on same spec I ran the erase file...this was on a pre v2.00 to 2.0.4 Minitaur, I could see it took a bit of time to erase (the feed bar) and all went well with the flash of LED etc and on to the firmware update...no problems.Minitaur running pretty much without issues.

On this occasion when running the erase file I just get a blink of the eye "done"....but no confirmation with the " You should see the Glide switch turn off, the MIDI light flash, and the VCO1 switch LED will blink several times while the system file is erased "...the Minitaur was connected only over USB and was responding to notes before I did the upgrade just to make sure its USB was being recognised (everything that could possibly grab/share/interfere with a USB port such as Live switched off just to be sure), the Minitaurs input was selectable from Sysex Lib.

The Minitaur was as far as I could tell clearly still in boot loader mode pre erase cycle....I thought I would at this point cycle the power (thinking it would just restart okay) and leave alone until I spoke with you guys....anyway it would on power up only load to boot loader mode....tried erase file several times again (even switched the USB cable to another port) and still the same behaviour as before.

In the end I ran the update and it injected the Minitaur with new brains no problem, however I did not get any visible restart either (I have power cycled anyway and no issues), I ran the Minitaur editor, it states 2.0.7, everything on every knob over USB and patch management is operating okay, it's receiving clock from Live, playing notes, everything on the Mintaurs hardware appears to be working as it should..sending receiving CC automation etc.It's been running flawlessly for the last few hours.

A few questions:

1 Does the current update from a V2 not require the erase file anymore or is what I was experiencing some weird bug or behaviour/gremlins going on here.

2 If the Minitaur wasn't erased/maybe it was.Does overwriting the existing OS in this manner do any harm/increase risks? I was worried about the possibility of bricking the Minitaur or inducing some degree of dementia :lol:

3 I'm assuming the erase cycle is just a dead sure way of a clean firmware update? The firmware if sent straight without erasing will just overwrite all code anyway?

4 Is there a way to cancel the boot loader mode.

That said the Minitaur is a magnificent sounding machine....maybe I'm imaging things but after 2.0.7 it sounds tighter, more dynamic, cleaner (for want of a better word) more responsive than before?

Thanks for your reply.

kind regards

evaluna

Post by evaluna » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:02 am

Amos wrote:
tagirov wrote:To Amos: FW request, just to remind you :^)
Please implement a combination of CC data, by sending them we able to get the current state of the synth as a 'snapshot' of CC's (not as sysex), such as you did for the new SubPhatty FW.
10nx
-- done :)
Please explain how this works - if I am reading it correctly, it will allow you to save the current patch into your sequencer without using the editor (which has never worked for me). If so, that would be great, but how would you go about doing this? Thanks.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:01 pm

+1 on enabling 'notes above C5' requests - if THAT is physically possible and you can actually make it work...then yeah that MIDI transpose function I asked for ~ not so important :lol:
Please Call Me, PETE

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:29 pm

It's not possible to change the pitch range in firmware. Sorry guys.
Here's the way it works: the hardware is set up so that the maximum possible output of the DAC (around 14.5 Volts, I think) produces the maximum possible pitch of slightly-above-C5. I might be able to eke out one more semitone or so... but that's really about it. The voltage to pitch conversion is really determined in the analog domain by the VCO components themselves; all I can do in firmware is to control the voltage that is applied to the analog circuit.

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:35 pm

evaluna wrote:
tagirov wrote: Please implement a combination of CC data, by sending them we able to get the current state of the synth as a 'snapshot' of CC's (not as sysex)
Please explain how this works - if I am reading it correctly, it will allow you to save the current patch into your sequencer without using the editor (which has never worked for me). If so, that would be great, but how would you go about doing this? Thanks.
I reckon you could save the current patch into your sequencer by recording every CC value and then playing it back.

To get the Minitaur to output a CC value for every parameter, you just have to ask it to do so. :)
(this is newly implemented in the latest firmware, v2.0.7)
You ask it to do so by sending it a special pair of messages:

CC 99 value 0, followed by CC 6 value 127.

[This is the same as saying "NRPN 0, value 127" using the basic rules for NRPN messages as defined in the MIDI 1.0 spec. In short, NRPN means "non-registered parameter number" and it's an extension of the basic MIDI CC system... by using a message or pair of messages to set the parameter, and then a separate message or pair of messages to set the value for that parameter, the NRPN system allows you to control up to 16,386 possible parameters at 7-bit or 14-bit resolution.]

so, if you send that command while recording the MIDI output of the Minitaur, it should capture all the data of your preset. Or, you could create an editor or m4l device which uses this functionality.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:05 pm

Thanks Amos! that makes sense ~ what about the functionality of Taurus being able to transpose notes down into playable range via "MIDI TRANSPOSE" - i believe it's 36 semitones in both directions if memory serves...
Can you get Minitaur to do that either in Firmware and/or Editor updates?
Amos wrote:It's not possible to change the pitch range in firmware. Sorry guys.
Here's the way it works: the hardware is set up so that the maximum possible output of the DAC (around 14.5 Volts, I think) produces the maximum possible pitch of slightly-above-C5. I might be able to eke out one more semitone or so... but that's really about it. The voltage to pitch conversion is really determined in the analog domain by the VCO components themselves; all I can do in firmware is to control the voltage that is applied to the analog circuit.
Please Call Me, PETE

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:59 pm

I tried version 2.0.7 yesterday and it seems fine.

there is one more request too. The Key Retrigger function on the LFO resets the modulation to zero when a NOTE ON is received. Could this be set to the highest value instead? Or maybe a new CC control that changes the phase of the reset value?
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

docaquatic

Post by docaquatic » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:36 pm

Nothing of value to add here, just wanted to say how excited I am to see the KB gate/note hold feature becoming available. Thanks Amos!

Also, still running 2.0.4 with zero problems but I never use the editor FWIW. Although now that I think about it, I was playing a show the other day and the Minitaur stopped producing sound. The MIDI light was still registering that I was playing notes on the PK-5, but no output. A quick power cycle solved the problem. It didn't feel excessively hot - was it just overheating or could stage lights cause this?
- Doc Aquatic -
Asheville, NC
Bandcamp
Soundcloud

docaquatic

Post by docaquatic » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:38 pm

While I'm at it, is OSC sync an available option from the front panel, or can it remember the setting if I save it as a patch?
- Doc Aquatic -
Asheville, NC
Bandcamp
Soundcloud

edrochagoncalves

Post by edrochagoncalves » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:36 pm

Hey Amos,

I'll be trying the new firmware tonight. In the meantime, I second Misterpete's request. I need to play the Minitaur via Voyager Keyboard and I need to transpose the MIDI. I do it in the Voyager menu (-1octave) but the Minitaur doens't register. Can you get us a quick fix for this?

Thanks

sawtdk

Post by sawtdk » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:15 pm

I've installed the 2.0.7 firmware and have problems with presets. when I load some presets in using the editor and check it afterwards using 'capture bank' in the editor, an old preset name keeps appearing at program 1 and the presets I loaded is moved down from 1 to 2, 2 to 3 and so on.
Is there a way to delete all the presets from minitaurs memory and start all over?