Minitaur firmware update soon - your requests here please

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
greenborder

Re: Minitaur firmware update soon - your requests here pleas

Post by greenborder » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:13 am

No I'm using a Mac and have it, be sure to check out the "Under the hood" page, not the front panel.

mydni

Post by mydni » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:12 am

Hi,
The envelopes are still really clicky on some presets.
Also sometimes I turn off the modwheel (0) and it seems it is self activated (127) at some point (I don't touch it).
Thks

ilovemusic

Post by ilovemusic » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Hello, the latest firmware works much better now..thank you

I have a question about the CV pitch input.

Is a voltage source plugged into CV input controlling the oscillator passed on directly analogue or is it quantized before it reaches the oscillator ? If the latter, what is the bit resolution ?

Thanks

greenborder

Post by greenborder » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:39 am

greenborder wrote: One thing I don't understand is how to start from panel settings and save those in a new preset, because as soon as I select a preset it applies the parameters from the preset (understandably). Is there a way to navigate to a preset slot and reset to the panel settings and save with those values?
The scenario is as follows, I power up the Minitaur, start tweaking and then want to save that into a preset slot (preferably from the hardware itself, but the software editor will work as well). I am sure this is a common scenario so I must be missing something, anybody know how to achieve this?

@Amos, I know you're working towards a stable release so it's a long shot, but would it be possible to route/assign the aftertouch commands from an external keyboard to an arbitrary control or at least the modulation amount?

Thanks in advance.

renzo

Post by renzo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:23 pm

greenborder wrote: @Amos, I know you're working towards a stable release so it's a long shot, but would it be possible to route/assign the aftertouch commands from an external keyboard to an arbitrary control or at least the modulation amount?
+1

:)

an3

Post by an3 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:54 am

great improvements on the OS... on thing remains: When on usb, sound dissapears at one point, still receives midi (light flickers)

ALB

Post by ALB » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:43 am

an3 wrote:great improvements on the OS... on thing remains: When on usb, sound dissapears at one point, still receives midi (light flickers)
Sounds like my remaining problem too... looks like a "no-note off" trouble. sometimes it come back with the new special trick for "all note off" and... sometimes not

but for sure it occurs in midi too.... not just in USB. :|

Amos, stupid idea/question number 15000: :idea:

i'm not programmer, neither english so i won't use the right words, but would'nt it be possible for the minitaur to detect when it receive 2 note ON or note OFF consecutively, (that is never a normal situation i suppose ?) and THEN perform automatically a CC123 ALL NOTE OFF
like an auto-panic, thing like that
sounds silly ?

By the way, and except this problem that is a bit blur and maybe not depending of the machine itself (i send a looot of midi informations, Cc's, Pc's through a midi-solution hub, to 4 machines included the Minitaur. We agree that it's filtering everything that's coming for other channels, right ?) AMOS you made an Incredible work on the latest releases, and everything is working for me now. I can't wait for the Editor, but i can almost safely work for now on.

Cheers,
Clément

tagirov

Post by tagirov » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:37 pm

Hi all
I haven't been here for a while and it seems my 2.0.4 firmware is old.

So, shall I upgrade to 2.0.19?

Amos, have you a full list of changes somewhere?
Best regards, Ruslan Tagirov.

Toyz: MBPro+Live 9.x+LogicProX, Moog: LP StageII/Sub37/Grandmother/MF-104m/MG-105m, Nord: Stage2 SW73/ModularG2Engine, Roland: MC909/TR-8, Korg: MS-20, R-3, OTO: Bisquit/BIM, etc.

rajcoont

Post by rajcoont » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:29 pm

cv routing changes in editor dont seem to be working for me in .19, updated from .16 where they werent working either...they remain doing whats printed on back of unit (filter volume pitch) but editor changes to other routings change nothing

am i missing something?

BTW hi there, my first post, absolutely in love with my minitaur

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:21 pm

rajcoont wrote:cv routing changes in editor dont seem to be working for me in .19, updated from .16 where they werent working either...they remain doing whats printed on back of unit (filter volume pitch) but editor changes to other routings change nothing

am i missing something?

BTW hi there, my first post, absolutely in love with my minitaur
Hi, and thanks for reporting this! You aren't missing anything; I broke that function. It's fixed now in v2.0.20 :)

here: http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/mi ... 2_0_20.syx

New in v2.0.20:
- CV mapping is working again (not actually new, but...)
- Can now tweak a sound and save it in a different hardware location! Here's how --
1) press and hold the Glide button, press also the Release button, hold them both for half a second; you'll see the Release button light start flashing on and off.
2) now you can select a different preset location in the usual way, by pressing Glide button + Oscillator 1 button to increment to the next preset location, or Glide button + Oscillator 2 button to decrement to the previous preset location. You will hear the sound change as you change presets, but your tweaked sound is saved in a buffer while you browse to the location you want to save over.
3) when you find a sound you want to replace with your new tweaked sound, press Glide + Release buttons again (first Glide, then while holding Glide press Release).. you will see the MIDI LED come on for a moment and the Release LED will stop flashing... the sound will change back to your tweaked sound, which is now saved in the current preset location.
4) if you want to exit without saving, just press the Release button by itself. It will stop flashing and your tweaked sound will be discarded.

- also envelopes are slightly better still... if you have "clicks" in the envelope at this point, it's probably just because the Attack or Release (or maybe Decay) is actually set to zero, and you should try making some small adjustments to these parameters if you want to remove the click. I don't think there are any more "unintentional" clicks... just the ones that are normally possible due to 1-millisecond minimum time settings.

Have a great weekend,

Amos

greenborder

Post by greenborder » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:10 am

Thanks Amos, will try it soon!

spin

Post by spin » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:23 am

How many presets can storage the minitaur?

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:21 am

spin wrote:How many presets can storage the minitaur?
100 presets.

citric_acid

Post by citric_acid » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:00 pm

Hi amos,

thanks for the new firmware.

Can you please provide us a LIst with all new hidden / new features since the 2.00 .
Im totaly confused and its hard to read al 21 pages here :-) sorry for that. Hope you can write a smal txt, that will help a lot. Thanks, CIT
I tweak the knop till it´s broken

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:32 am

citric_acid wrote: Can you please provide us a LIst with all new hidden / new features since the 2.00 .
Im totaly confused and its hard to read al 21 pages here :-)
OK, here is a list... it might not be complete, but it covers most of the things.
There are a number of new global parameters which will be easy to edit in the new editor... I am expecting first alpha builds of the new editor next week or so.

Apologies for the poor formatting here... I just cut and pasted various bits from the 21-page thread...

what's new in Minitaur v2.0.20 (versus 2.0.4 release)

- Can now tweak a sound and save it in a different hardware location! Here's how --
1) press and hold the Glide button, press also the Release button, hold them both for half a second; you'll see the Release button light start flashing on and off.
2) now you can select a different preset location in the usual way, by pressing Glide button + Oscillator 1 button to increment to the next preset location, or Glide button + Oscillator 2 button to decrement to the previous preset location. You will hear the sound change as you change presets, but your tweaked sound is saved in a buffer while you browse to the location you want to save over.
3) when you find a sound you want to replace with your new tweaked sound, press Glide + Release buttons again (first Glide, then while holding Glide press Release).. you will see the MIDI LED come on for a moment and the Release LED will stop flashing... the sound will change back to your tweaked sound, which is now saved in the current preset location.
4) if you want to exit without saving, just press the Release button by itself. It will stop flashing and your tweaked sound will be discarded.

Hardware command to output all parameters as MIDI CCs:
- Press & Hold Glide switch + Double-Tap the Release switch.

- "all notes off" / panic function:
While pressing and holding the Glide button, turn the Amp EG Sustain knob to zero.

- "gate always on" function:
while pressing and holding the Glide button, turn the Amp EG Sustain knob to zero, then to maximum.

- RELEASE MODE 2 is changed. No longer must you hold the RELEASE ON/OFF switch while turning the Release knob. Whose idea was that, anyway? (mine; I apologise) ... now it is simple. If RELEASE on/off is lit, the DECAY/RELEASE knob is editing the Release time. if RELEASE On/Off is dark, then DECAY/RELEASE knob is editing Decay time. Release Mode 1 behavior is unchanged; still v1.0 Minitaur behavior (which is: Release on/off sets release time to zero when off; release and decay times are linked when release is on). Press and hold Release On/Off for >1sec to toggle between modes 1 and 2.

- VCA "off threshold" has been added. You can calibrate this "off threshold" precisely for your unit, if you like. Don't worry if you don't want to do this... the default setting is zero, which is the same as v2.0 and older firmware (so, if you don't do any calibration, everything should be the same as you were used to). However, a calibrated VCA off threshold should provide smoother envelope release.

To do this calibration, connect the minitaur to a good sound system, play a note, and after the note has decayed to silence, turn up the sound nice and loud.
Next, send this sysex file:

http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/mi ... o_end).syx

You will see the GLIDE switch light blinking on/off (at 120bpm). Turn the GLIDE RATE knob up and down. Above 12:00, you should start to hear the VCA open up, and the sound of the oscillators will get louder. Make sure you are NOT playing a note, because we are setting the "OFF" voltage for the VCA, so we want the envelope to be off. Now turn the GLIDE RATE knob down slowly, just to the point at which the VCA is truly closed and you can't hear the oscillators at all anymore. This is the correct VCA Off threshold for your unit. Press the GLIDE On/Off switch to end the calibration.

CC# 81 = Note Sync (VCO gate reset_ on/off

global controls to filter sending, receiving program change (will be editable in new editor)

True (constant) Beat-Frequency adjustment has been added... with "compatibility mode" for older presets.
Basically: if you load an old (pre-v2.0.9) preset, the Beat control will behave as before, like a very tiny detuning of VCO2 Freq. So, old presets will play and sound as they used to. HOWEVER, if you change the Beat setting at all, it will update the preset to the new format and you will now have constant-beat-frequency detuning behavior. You'll then need to save the preset if you want this new behavior to persist.

So... if the old sound of your presets is important, leave their Beat setting alone, and they'll keep sounding the same. If not, tweak away and enjoy the improved Beat setting.

ALSO... you can now adjust Beat from the front panel. Just press & hold the GLIDE button while turning the VCO2 Freq knob. VCO2 Freq while holding glide = VCO2 Beat. The only downside is it's sorta hard to do one-handed. It works, though!

- MIDI Note transposition; transpose incoming MIDI notes up to 24 semitones up or down.
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/mi ... inus12.syx (down one octave)
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/mi ... inus24.syx (down two octaves)
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/mi ... e_Zero.syx (no transpose)

- Ignore MIDI CCs (except for Mod Wheel, Pitch Bend); for the fellow who wants to control Minitaur from a synth and turn knobs on the controller synth without the Minitaur sound being affected:
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/mi ... se_OFF.syx (Minitaur won't respond to CCs)
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/mi ... nse_ON.syx (Minitaur will respond to CCs)

- Load Preset Volume; MIDI CC7 sets a volume scale, prior to the (always-active) VCA Volume pot on the front panel. You can load this saved volume scale when loading presets, or not. Default = not.
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/mi ... ume_ON.syx
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/mi ... me_OFF.syx