Minitaur firmware update soon - your requests here please

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Freebot

Re: Minitaur firmware update soon - your requests here pleas

Post by Freebot » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:20 pm

Holy Crap!!! I can finally use this flipping thing. Presets do seem to save properly from the hardware, software is still a Joke though. Hopefully the new software will not blow donkeys and hopefully Moog has learned to farm out there software in the future. Waiting this long for a functioning editor is ridiculous. There are a lot of Synth manufacturers making amazing analog synths these days and if this is how Moog is going to treat their products, I don't know why anyone would buy one. Especially when they lack the others' options and a functioning editor. Either way, I'm getting a Bass Station 2 soon and it will soon face off to the death with the Minitaur. The loser gets sold!

ChrisO

Post by ChrisO » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:39 pm

So will the new firmware/software work flawlessly on Maverick? Often when I power on the Minitaur connected to my Mac my knobs only activate or effectively change values at their extremes.
Mac OS 10.12.1
NI Maschine
Moog Minitaur

cousinofdeath

Post by cousinofdeath » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:59 pm

Freebot wrote:Holy Crap!!! I can finally use this flipping thing. Presets do seem to save properly from the hardware, software is still a Joke though. Hopefully the new software will not blow donkeys and hopefully Moog has learned to farm out there software in the future. Waiting this long for a functioning editor is ridiculous. There are a lot of Synth manufacturers making amazing analog synths these days and if this is how Moog is going to treat their products, I don't know why anyone would buy one. Especially when they lack the others' options and a functioning editor. Either way, I'm getting a Bass Station 2 soon and it will soon face off to the death with the Minitaur. The loser gets sold!
http://www.moogmusic.com/news/patent-no ... der-filter

it's patented. no other synthmaker has it, no other synth can sound like it. that's why i buy moog (amongst other things) :mrgreen:
Minitaur (sequenced via MIDI with an MPC1000 and USB w/ mac running OSX 10.10)
MF-101 Lo-Pass Filter
MF-103 Phaser

Synth.builder

Post by Synth.builder » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:59 am

cousinofdeath wrote: it's patented. no other synthmaker has it, no other synth can sound like it.
The patent expired many years ago. The Moog ladder, although quite unique in its sound, is now used by other manufacturers.

However, there are many variations on the ladder topology. Moog themselves never used the same circuit twice in all their early products. Thus each one has a slightly different tone. The Minitaur's implementation is particularly good I find.

Tony

Freebot

Post by Freebot » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:40 pm

Looks like I spoke too soon.
Can someone explain how to save edits to a "preset?"
Saving presets to a new location works fine, but what if I want to edit a certain sound, say in slot 2, and keep it in slot 2.
If you follow the instructions, it appears to work, until I use my DAW (Ableton 9) to recall the sound in a scene via program change.
Then, the earlier version of the preset appears again. I.e., love a sound, but want to take out the glide, so I turn off the glide, follow the "finger-dance" method (supposedly saving the new sound), appears to save with the glide off, BUT, when the preset is recalled, the Glide button reappears (feels like it's giving me the finger). Obviously I can just save it to a new preset, but one, that's stupid…. especially for those of us who sequence things (than I have to change every clip in ableton to match the new preset #, every time I edit?), and two, it becomes very easy to lose your place when working with several presets and therefore easy to erase the sound you just worked on, which I've done twice now.
Ideas?

Freebot

Post by Freebot » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:53 pm

Ha, figured it out. It turns out that implementing the "hold glide, push release" method still activates the Glide button.
So, you have to turn glide on, then employ the finger-dance, which will actually turn the glide off before saving the preset. Fairly confusing, but I assume this is the only button that will behave this way.

Amos,
For the time being, can you make it so that if we engage the "hold glide, push release" deal, it will not think we are turning on the glide?
If it anyway pulls you away from deploying Version 3 of the editor, than please don't bother. A fully functioning editor is far more important.

cousinofdeath

Post by cousinofdeath » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:16 pm

Freebot wrote:Ha, figured it out. It turns out that implementing the "hold glide, push release" method still activates the Glide button.
So, you have to turn glide on, then employ the finger-dance, which will actually turn the glide off before saving the preset. Fairly confusing, but I assume this is the only button that will behave this way.

Amos,
For the time being, can you make it so that if we engage the "hold glide, push release" deal, it will not think we are turning on the glide?
If it anyway pulls you away from deploying Version 3 of the editor, than please don't bother. A fully functioning editor is far more important.
I've noticed this behavior as well.

This synth has so much potential...can't wait for the new editor
MF-101 Lo-Pass Filter
MF-103 Phaser

cousinofdeath

Post by cousinofdeath » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:11 pm

Amos wrote:
Knob mode is a global setting, it is saved but not per-preset. The default knob mode is Relative, not Snap. Perhaps try sending the "reset globals" sysex if you haven't.

http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/mi ... re_Cmd.syx

doesn't fix issue. when i power up minitaur it is always set to SNAP according to the editor
MF-101 Lo-Pass Filter
MF-103 Phaser

CleverConQueso

Post by CleverConQueso » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:00 pm

Same here. I never tried sending the command from Sysex directly but I know that when I open the editor it's set back to the defaults. All of the stuff on the bottom of that screen goes back to default. I just got used to it not working. (Firmware=.20)

Also, I notice that if I'm playing live from a keyboard and go above the note limit, it just plays the highest note. Would be better if it didn't play at all or started the top octave over. Playing the wrong note is probably not the best of all possible outcomes.

Is the Rev2 PDF going to be updated? I'm on the latest firmware and didn't notice all of the functionality changes until I saw them in this thread. Imagine my surprise and confusion. Maybe if the Sysex package contained release notes it wouldn't be such a shock.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:13 pm

CleverConQueso wrote: Also, I notice that if I'm playing live from a keyboard and go above the note limit, it just plays the highest note. Would be better if it didn't play at all or started the top octave over. Playing the wrong note is probably not the best of all possible outcomes.
Playing the top octave again would be awesome!
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

robml

Post by robml » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:05 pm

CleverConQueso wrote:Also, I notice that if I'm playing live from a keyboard and go above the note limit, it just plays the highest note. Would be better if it didn't play at all or started the top octave over. Playing the wrong note is probably not the best of all possible outcomes.

agreed! top octave repeating would be best ;)

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:33 pm

Freebot wrote:Amos,
I can make it so that it only actually toggles the Glide parameter on or off when you release the button, rather than toggling instantly on pressing the button. That's the only way I know of to do what you want.

However, I am having trouble reproducing your original problem.. as long as I use a separate action to turn Glide on or off (for real), and then I separately do the "hold glide, push release" to save... the preset will consistently save with Glide turned on if I want it on, or off if I want it off.

As you have observed, as soon as you press Release while you are holding Glide, the Glide setting is toggled back to its previous state (so, unchanged from the state it was in before you pressed Glide+Release to save the preset).

So... does that make sense to you, and can you get consistent results now?

Separate question, should I still change the behavior so that Glide only actually changes state when you release the button, to avoid the toggling back-and-forth that it does now?

New topic: repeating the top octave instead of always playing "C" when you play a note that's too high... brilliant. I will implement that. Originally, it simply didn't make a sound when you played a note that was out of range, but there were folks who didn't like that solution either. I think repeating the top octave is the best suggestion so far. Thanks for that!

Amos

phrygian

Post by phrygian » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:27 am

repeating the top octave is indeed a brilliant idea! :D

ALB

Post by ALB » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:18 am

Amos wrote: Separate question, should I still change the behavior so that Glide only actually changes state when you release the button, to avoid the toggling back-and-forth that it does now?

New topic: repeating the top octave instead of always playing "C" when you play a note that's too high... brilliant. I will implement that. Originally, it simply didn't make a sound when you played a note that was out of range, but there were folks who didn't like that solution either. I think repeating the top octave is the best suggestion so far. Thanks for that!

Amos
these two adds sounds very good to me ! go on !!
fresh news from the editor ?
cheers

cousinofdeath

Post by cousinofdeath » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:15 pm

I took the Minitaur on stage last night. Opening for bigger band, so packed house. I give the Minitaur a B. It performed well...but the preset recalling system, when used in conjunction with MIDI CC is really not working for me when using an AKAI MPC1000 as the sequencer. It seems like the knobs will unexpectedly change from SNAP to RELATIVE to PASS-THRU...or even just get completely out of whack.

There are times when I'm using the synth, and for whatever reason I send it a series of patch changes and control changes, and the filter just straight up stops closing all the way. I can turn the knob all the way to the left, but signal keeps coming through (it's as if the filter won't close past 100hz or so) FENV is completely off. The only solution is reboot.

Other times knobs get so uncalibrated mid-session that I have to "reset" their position by turning them all the way to the left, and then all the way to the right so they "lock-in."

I've pretty much given up trying to use presets all together. I also still have the "glide gets turned on when saving preset with it off" problem that was documented earlier. If I want to save a NEW (not overwrite an old) preset someplace, with GLIDE OFF, i have to initiate the save preset sequence with GLIDE ON. I almost prefer the old way of saving presets from the front panel, when you could only overwrite the current preset, a bit simpler to do and more reliable.

Instead of presets I'll likely find a way use CC to adjust parameters to new starting points at the beginning of songs. I like to use the minitaur as more than just a bass synth...so I'm constantly changing the octave of OSC 2 and the resonance to filter out lows...but not having a reliable way to switch back to a bassy sound after using the synth as more of a pad or lead is a bummer.

Well here's to the new editor solving some of these problems!
MF-101 Lo-Pass Filter
MF-103 Phaser