Minitaur firmware update soon - your requests here please

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
peteruertz

Re: Minitaur firmware update soon - your requests here pleas

Post by peteruertz » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:19 am

Hi like minded,

- while using the USB-PORT - I have a high NOISE in the audiosignal path? - This should not be the case. :(

- while using via MIDIKEYBOARD I got allways notlcks while changing the keyboards presets - I have to RESTART allways the Minitaur. ?

-The shortcut for the liveuse /(Gluide+VCO1+2) does not open up all buttons on the MT (mostly DECAY/RELEASE) ?? You can not use this button -
only a restart helps! ;(

ps: I am a 2 weeks experienced user :)

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:49 pm

peteruertz wrote:Hi like minded,
- while using the USB-PORT - I have a high NOISE in the audiosignal path? - This should not be the case. :(
you can cover pin 4 (ground) on one end of the USB cable you're using for the Minitaur and it will avoid this problem.
see this post for more details: http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.ph ... 07#p114167

this is just one of many ways to resolve a ground-loop problem; they are common in computer music setups with multiple interconnected devices.
peteruertz wrote: - while using via MIDIKEYBOARD I got allways notlcks while changing the keyboards presets - I have to RESTART allways the Minitaur. ?

-The shortcut for the liveuse /(Gluide+VCO1+2) does not open up all buttons on the MT (mostly DECAY/RELEASE) ?? You can not use this button -
only a restart helps! ;(
I recommend you should see if your MIDI Keyboard has an option to turn off sending MIDI Program Change when you change the keyboard's presets. If you want only the keyboard preset to change, and no change on the Minitaur, then you want not to send program change via MIDI. I will also add the option in Minitaur to ignore MIDI program change.

I think the DECAY/RELEASE is probably working "as intended" but it's very possible that the implementation is confusing.

If any experienced Minitaur users have a suggestion for how the DECAY/RELEASE control could be better implemented, I'm happy to consider changing it.

Cheers,

Amos

johanz

Post by johanz » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:44 pm

In logic using the lfo rate on the minitaur will put the selected audio channel on solo.

This LFO rate is very important to me, hope you can fix it in next firmware update

thanks!

nectarios

Post by nectarios » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:00 pm

I am happy with the way it works. It would be best to simply toggle without holding the RELEASE button down, but the way it is now, it finally works. If you can sort that "other thing" out that I suggested in the e-mails, I would be over the moon!
Eurorack, 5U, x0xb0x, Moog Slim Phatty, MF-102, MF-103, MF-108, CP-251, Beatstep Pro, Nord Lead 1, NI Maschine, MXR-104, ProCo RAT2, Big Muff π Bass, Logic Pro 9.
http://soundcloud.com/martianarts

cousinofdeath

Post by cousinofdeath » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:57 pm

I use a the Minitaur with an AKAI MPC sequencer. Program Change works quite well - I make presets via USB and then recall them from the MPC. I wish I could create presets on the fly with out a computer, but understand that the hardware is limited and that this might just be impossible.

The only MAJOR issue I run into is that when presets are recalled, the front panel controls are not fully responsive. The LFO section just flat out doesn't work. I have to switch to Preset 1, or the "Init" preset to then regain LFO functionality. Sometimes it seems like the LFO section syncs to MTC even though I have that functionality turned off in the preset editor. When I do use MIDI Sync LFO, the multiplier seems to change randomly after dumping the preset to the Synth. Yes, the LFO section and presets don't behave too well when the mTaur is used with an external sequencer sending MTC. Maybe I'll turn off the MTC on the AKAI and see what happens. It would be gorgeous to have the LFO truly synced to my sequencer though...wahwahwah bass for days.....

I also have problems with preset names getting corrupted after moving them to the synth and then back again.

The release functionality of Ver.2 is nice, you get full ADSR control, but perhaps it should be toggled so that with the release button lit up, the middle knob of the envelope section should control Release time like in Ver.1 - and then in order to modify Decay, you HOLD down the Release button. This way it's easy to set the ADS, then turn the release mode on and easily set the release, with the ability to still control Decay if you wish. Make sense? I don't like having to hold down the button to adjust any parameter tbh, but I appreciate the added functionality.
Minitaur (sequenced via MIDI with an MPC1000 and USB w/ mac running OSX 10.10)
MF-101 Lo-Pass Filter
MF-103 Phaser

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:27 pm

c7sus wrote:How about a bug-free version of the T3 firmware while you're at it?
I can't promise "bug-free" but I fixed some T3 bugs today... I'll have a Taurus 3 update later this week, too. :)

peteruertz

Post by peteruertz » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:15 pm

Thx Amos,
already helpfull!!
Glad I didn´t kick the MT :)

Best, Peter
Amos wrote:
peteruertz wrote:Hi like minded,
you can cover pin 4 (ground) on one end of the USB cable you're using for the Minitaur and it will avoid this problem.
see this post for more details: http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.ph ... 07#p114167

this is just one of many ways to resolve a ground-loop problem; they are common in computer music setups with multiple interconnected devices.
peteruertz wrote: - while using via MIDIKEYBOARD I got allways notlcks while changing the keyboards presets - I have to RESTART allways the Minitaur. ?

only a restart helps! ;(
I recommend you should see if your MIDI Keyboard has an option to turn off sending MIDI Program Change when you change the keyboard's presets. If you want only the keyboard preset to change, and no change on the Minitaur, then you want not to send program change via MIDI. I will also add the option in Minitaur to ignore MIDI program change.

I think the DECAY/RELEASE is probably working "as intended" but it's very possible that the implementation is confusing.

If any experienced Minitaur users have a suggestion for how the DECAY/RELEASE control could be better implemented, I'm happy to consider changing it.

Cheers,

Amos

peteruertz

Post by peteruertz » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:15 am

What you have here is a doubled action-button and double functionality - I find that confusing (and i never know in what method i am in!) - i would just recommend to get rid of the first method and take it as labeled on the box.

It would make live easyer (at least 4 me :)) (If you consider that i expected to get a "hands on" synth!)

KEEP IN MIND, THAT NOT ALL COSTUMERS WANT ALWAYS NEW AND MORE FEATURES! REDUCE TO THE essentials!

Best, Peter

an3

Post by an3 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:49 pm

- the whole lfo to modwheel is not really workin .. or is it ? page 16 bottom remark. i only seem to get lfo workin with the modweel. why not a per preset setting: direct / modwheel
- the hardware setting, in the edtor i do not seem to have the idea it actually saves the parameters.. everytime i start the editor same settings, not the saved once.. a send button maybye?

peteruertz

Post by peteruertz » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:38 am

After two weeks of using MT, the the DEACY/RELEAS and the RELASE ON/OFF still confuses me.

What i don´t get (in MODE 2) why i have to HOLD the RELASE ON/OFF button to ajust the releasetime??
This would be easyer to understand (at least for me):
a) RELASE ON/OFF off - i can ajust the DECAY-time
b) RELASE ON/OFF on - I can ajust the RELEASE-Time

and by the way: Thie is just what the panel-printing suggests!

The advantage of "No need to HOLD RELASE ON/OFF" is, that you don´t need your both hands and one hand will be always free for your keyboard.

I hope this makes sense :)

Peter

Amos

Post by Amos » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:06 pm

peteruertz wrote:What i don´t get (in MODE 2) why i have to HOLD the RELASE ON/OFF button to ajust the releasetime??
This would be easyer to understand (at least for me):
a) RELASE ON/OFF off - i can ajust the DECAY-time
b) RELASE ON/OFF on - I can ajust the RELEASE-Time

and by the way: Thie is just what the panel-printing suggests!
Hi Peter, I think you're right. :)

This is how it will be (for MODE 2) in the next firmware version.

thanks!

serenity

Post by serenity » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:02 pm

Hi,

I'd like to buy Minitaur for good analog bass to my tracks. Maybe I'm wrong. But I think analog hardware, controled by software is the future of making music with DAWs. I'm reading about workflow issues Minitaur with DAWs.

Are you planing to make Minitaur Editor as VST plugin ? If yes, when ?

What I need is to tweak sound and save project with that sound. Then load it next time with the same sound. I know there is a preset save feature. I know I'm lazy, but why not use things in simple way ? I think Novation MiniNova have a sutch of that VST editor.

I'm using Cubase 7.0.3 64 bit, RME FF400, Windows 7 64 bit.

Regards,

Paul

P.S. Sorry for my english.

Tech_Buzz

Post by Tech_Buzz » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:15 am

Thank you Amos for your hard work. It is greatly appreciated. I love the sound of my Minitaur. My only problem is that it freezes up way too often. I can get the Minitaur to freeze with USB or just the MIDI in port. The only way to recover is with a power cycle. Adding features is great and all but I create patches from scratch every time since most of the parameters have a knob. I have my M4L patch for under the hood parameters. Please, please, please address the freezing issue. My Minitaur is at FW2.0. I would love to just have a stable instrument that doesn't freeze up when trying to create new songs. I could care less about new features if the instrument is stable.

I am using a Mac 10.6.8 with Ableton 8.3 MIDI via USB. I am sending MIDI sync to the Minitaur so I can sync the LFO. I have tried connection my Remote SL37 directly via MIDI and that will freeze the Minitaur as well after a little while of playing. If there is something I can try on my end to stop this freezing up of the MT I will be more than happy to try whatever it is you would like me to try. I have tried sending the panic message CC#120 or 123. Still the unit remains frozen. All buttons are unresponsive. Only a power cycle fixes it.

Thanks again for your hard work. I look forward to the next FW update. :D
Voyager Select, Minituar, MF-104M, MF-108M, 2012 15" MBP 10.10.5, Ableton 9.7 64bit RME FF800

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:16 pm

Tech_Buzz wrote:Please, please, please address the freezing issue. My Minitaur is at FW2.0. I would love to just have a stable instrument that doesn't freeze up when trying to create new songs.
I have never had this happen, myself. However, I'm looking into it right now! Sorry for the trouble.
I think I found a related issue, which has been plaguing Portamental for a while... I'll work on that, and see if it suggests a fix for your freezing issue as well.

Anyone else having your Minitaur "freeze" or become non-responsive? If so, under what circumstances does it happen?

jupiternyn

Post by jupiternyn » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:20 pm

Hi Amos,

Just received my minitaur last week, used it twice, and now its frozen. Turned it on hooked it up to my octatrack, realized it wasn't receiving midi messages, and all buttons were lit, and remained that way regardless of whether they are pressed. Tried power cycling a number of times, no help, as is hooking it up via USB to my mac. Also tried to get into bootloader mode with no success. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated