Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Amos

Re: Minitaur firmware update soon - your requests here pleas

Post by Amos » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:50 pm

OK, here's v2.0.28:
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/mi ... 2_0_28.syx

now we are getting somewhere! :)

Fixed in this version:

- Good old tuning (you will need to do Note Calibration if updating from 2.0.25/.26, but probably not if updating from v2.0.21)
- fixed Knob Mode behavior; Relative knob mode should work consistently now.
- new panel knob function: Hold GLIDE + turn FILTER ATTACK knob to select TRIGGER MODE (legato on, legato off, reset).
- fixed Save Preset behavior... see below

To save a preset in place, it's the "older" way again (although a little faster)... first press GLIDE, then while holding GLIDE press RELEASE; hold for half a second, done. The GLIDE and RELEASE button lights start to pulsate, then they go back to normal and the MIDI LED blinks to confirm preset is saved.

To save a preset to a different location, it's simplified similar to your suggestions... Press GLIDE + RELEASE and then let go, instead of holding for half a second. You'll see the GLIDE and RELEASE button lights pulsating... while it's in this mode, you can scroll up/down through the presets by pressing the OSC 1 and OSC 2 waveform buttons. When you get to a preset you want to save over, press GLIDE + RELEASE again to finish saving. If you want to exit this mode without saving, press the RELEASE button by itself.

To output all parameter values as MIDI CCs, this is the same as before: while holding the GLIDE button, double-tap the RELEASE button. This only sends MIDI CCs and does not save the preset to internal memory.

A note about saving presets "in place" -- the Minitaur always boots to Preset 0 and preset 0 always gets the real knob positions from the panel, instead of using the saved values for the panel knobs... so if you turn on the Minitaur and tweak up an amazing sound, you might want to save it to a different location rather than saving it to Preset 0, because your saved sound won't always sound the same in that particular location. You may have already discovered this.

I added a global setting for this (preset 0 behaves like all other presets, or preset 0 always gets the panel settings)...
here are a couple sysex "commands" for turning this on and off. "preset 0 is static" is the new setting where preset 0 acts like any other preset. "preset 0 is dynamic" is the default behavior, where the MInitaur uses the real knob positions any time you switch to Preset 0. (the Minitaur always loads preset 0 when you first power it on)
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/mi ... static.syx
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/mi ... ynamic.syx
Last edited by Amos on Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:27 pm

I downgraded back to 2.0.26 after 2.0.27 because of a weird 'time lag' i.e. every preset and setting had a super slow attack like playing a pipe organ, or being out of sync on a primitive DAW... i forgot the word for that...
strangely, on my machine tuning is fine and 2.0.26 is running quite smoothly!
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

CleverConQueso

Panic?

Post by CleverConQueso » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:23 pm

Is it too late for a two or three button note panic? I know I'm supposed to be able to send one but sometimes you just can't. It's particularly an issue because it seems like my Minitaur, anyway, is particularly prone to sticking on a drone.

Amos

Post by Amos » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:33 pm

misterpete wrote:I downgraded back to 2.0.26 after 2.0.27 because of a weird 'time lag' i.e. every preset and setting had a super slow attack like playing a pipe organ, or being out of sync on a primitive DAW... i forgot the word for that...
The word is "Latency" -- and I added a hidden parameter for it in v2.0.27, although on my presets it was set to zero by default. I'll tinker with that some more this afternoon.

Why add a latency parameter, you might ask? I have a good reason, actually. :) Note Sync.
The idea is, Note Sync resets the VCO phase to zero the instant you get a Note On.
If you want to play with the phase relationship between the oscillator and the envelopes, you need to reset the oscillator first and then add a little latency to the envelopes so that they start at a different phase relative to the VCO.
You could do it the other way (envelopes, then phase reset) but then you'd get a reset-glitch at the start of the note and it wouldn't sound right.

So, that's the deal... It will be a really useful parameter I think... but it looks like I'll need to ensure that its default value is set to zero for all presets.

CleverConQueso wrote:Is it too late for a two or three button note panic? I know I'm supposed to be able to send one but sometimes you just can't. It's particularly an issue because it seems like my Minitaur, anyway, is particularly prone to sticking on a drone.
There's already a panic -- hold GLIDE button while turning the Amp EG SUSTAIN knob to zero.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:08 pm

Cool!
Thanks Amos!
Is there a good reason for leaving the CV Filter IN static as opposed to mapping it like GATE, VOLUME, PITCH?
Please Call Me, PETE

Amos

Post by Amos » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:19 pm

Here's v2.0.28, with no latency.

-- This new latency thing I described in my previous message is not ready for release, so it's better to take it out entirely for now.
It's something I am working on in response to an individual user's request, but it's a cool idea... just needs more work and we are trying to get to a stable release build at this time.

So, I've updated the link in my previous message as well... v2.0.28 is the version to test at this time.

Cheers,

Amos

PS)
misterpete wrote:Is there a good reason for leaving the CV Filter IN static as opposed to mapping it like GATE, VOLUME, PITCH?
Yes, the filter CV is purely analog. It's not scanned by the processor, so it can't be mapped to anything.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:33 pm

Thanks Amos ~ I guess most people only post when things DON'T work but want to confirm everything is running well for me with this fixed Minitaur_firmware_v2_0_28.syx

about the analog Filter CV is that the same as selecting "Cutoff" via a mapped input or is there something else going on there?

best, Pete
Amos wrote:Here's v2.0.28, with no latency.
misterpete wrote:Is there a good reason for leaving the CV Filter IN static as opposed to mapping it like GATE, VOLUME, PITCH?
Yes, the filter CV is purely analog. It's not scanned by the processor, so it can't be mapped to anything.
Please Call Me, PETE

tagirov

Post by tagirov » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:58 am

updated to 2.0.28, works stable so far
Best regards, Ruslan Tagirov.

Toyz: MBPro+Live 9.x+LogicProX, Moog: LP StageII/Sub37/Grandmother/MF-104m/MG-105m, Nord: Stage2 SW73/ModularG2Engine, Roland: MC909/TR-8, Korg: MS-20, R-3, OTO: Bisquit/BIM, etc.

CleverConQueso

Audition?

Post by CleverConQueso » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:22 pm

Say, I think the V2 editor has an audition feature under the bleep key. Any chance on getting that replicated in the new editor or in the hardware?
Thanks for the tip on the panic feature (glide+ampSus->0)
-CCQ

confused machine

Post by confused machine » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:54 am

hi amos

first just want to say thanks for your efforts on the minitaur, i had one of the early ones so all this extra functionality since v1 has been a great bonus :D

one quick question, is there any possibility of being able to assign the various cv mappings via midi cc instead of the editor?

tagirov

Re: Audition?

Post by tagirov » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:14 am

CleverConQueso wrote:Say, I think the V2 editor has an audition feature under the bleep key. Any chance on getting that replicated in the new editor or in the hardware?
Thanks for the tip on the panic feature (glide+ampSus->0)
-CCQ
+500 agree
Audition or external keyboard routing + virtual keyboard audition
Best regards, Ruslan Tagirov.

Toyz: MBPro+Live 9.x+LogicProX, Moog: LP StageII/Sub37/Grandmother/MF-104m/MG-105m, Nord: Stage2 SW73/ModularG2Engine, Roland: MC909/TR-8, Korg: MS-20, R-3, OTO: Bisquit/BIM, etc.

CleverConQueso

Post by CleverConQueso » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:14 pm

Bleep? Not sure how or why that happened in my post but it's the shift key. Maybe speech to text on input, I don't remember.

CleverConQueso

Save Behavior

Post by CleverConQueso » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:00 am

In the save routine, how about the oscillator buttons display the patch number you're on in the same way the firmware version is displayed? Also, any chance at an audition via button press or perhaps, keyboard press?
.Thanks,
-CCQ

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:01 pm

CleverConQueso wrote:Bleep? Not sure how or why that happened in my post but it's the shift key. Maybe speech to text on input, I don't remember.
:D It's called a typo followed by censorship :D
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

tatobox

Post by tatobox » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:34 pm

I updated to 2.0.28. It's really stable.
Thanks Amos