Minitaur firmware update soon - your requests here please

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Stuka

Re: Minitaur firmware update soon - your requests here pleas

Post by Stuka » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:15 pm

Page 17 of the Minitaur manual addresses the volume control.

It does not transmit or receive MIDI; it is wired in after the VCA
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

robml

Post by robml » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:32 pm

Stuka wrote:Page 17 of the Minitaur manual addresses the volume control.

It does not transmit or receive MIDI; it is wired in after the VCA
(Same as the volume control on the Little & Slim Phatty).
i dont have my minitaur plugged in right now (5AM) but if im guessing right there are two different volume controls

1. VCA VOLUME (on the panel)
2. OUTPUT LEVEL (midi controllable, no panel access)

i was thrown by the name on the midi list in the manual
VCA (OUTPUT) LEVEL (M)

will check it out further when the sun comes up ;)

cheers

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:55 pm

I'll have to double-check my statement about the Phatty's ~
Pretty sure the volume setting isn't saved with presets, but not sure about whether or not they send volume CC's.

The Minitaur, for sure, does not...but it does seem like it should!
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

dshook

Post by dshook » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:32 pm

Anyone have any luck with getting their knobs to actually behave as "snap" or "pass through" rather than "relative"?

lqzeng

Post by lqzeng » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:54 pm

Hey guys - new to the forum so apologies if this issue has already been raised and clarified
I did a search and found a few people with the same problem as me - I get stuck notes when using the minitaur in midi mode with ableton. The only way to fix this problem is the pull the power out and put it back in.
Some people said the problem was fixed with them with the firmware updates, but I'm on the most recent one (2.0.28) and I still get the problem every time I play with the Minitaur. I love the sound of the thing, but I am living in fear that it will freeze at the worst time so I can never do anything serious with it.
Is there anything I'm not doing correctly? Like should turn on the minitaur first (before ableton).. or last?

robml

Post by robml » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:34 pm

lqzeng wrote:Re: Minitaur firmware update soon - your requests here pleas
by lqzeng » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:54 pm

Hey guys - new to the forum so apologies if this issue has already been raised and clarified
I did a search and found a few people with the same problem as me - I get stuck notes when using the minitaur in midi mode with ableton. The only way to fix this problem is the pull the power out and put it back in.
Some people said the problem was fixed with them with the firmware updates, but I'm on the most recent one (2.0.28) and I still get the problem every time I play with the Minitaur. I love the sound of the thing, but I am living in fear that it will freeze at the worst time so I can never do anything serious with it.
Is there anything I'm not doing correctly? Like should turn on the minitaur first (before ableton).. or last?
either the minitaur is not responding to MIDI NOTE OFF or the MIDI NOTE OFF MESSAGE is not getting to the minitaur.

how are the midi messages getting to the minitaur?

are you using usb straight to the minitaur, or are you going through a soundcard with a midi din cable?

osx or windows, what soundcard?

if using the USB on the minitaur, try using the midi din cable instead. if using midi din try using the USB instead.

cheers

Solum

Post by Solum » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:52 am

How long must we wait for the working editor to come out? Waiting more then two years for a working editor is quite long if you ask me...

gab66

Post by gab66 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:10 pm

Yes, it's very long. When will you release the au/vst editor?

Mihajlo

Post by Mihajlo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:12 am

I aint buying Minitaur until someone here tells me that firmware is stable. Including issues with CV.
And Amos, any timeline when official stable Firmware version with addendum will be finished? I want MT so bad... but all this uncertanty puts me off.

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:47 pm

Solum wrote:How long must we wait for the working editor to come out? Waiting more then two years for a working editor is quite long if you ask me...

Actually, the current v2 editor works ~
It just has a few quirks you have to get used to in the way it handles patch organization.

It is not a VST, but it was never advertised as such either.

I'm also looking forward to checking out the upcoming release, but in the interim we DO have something we can work with! :)

BezO

Post by BezO » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:33 pm

Should I be able to find the updates under -> Moogmusic.com / Support / Downloads...
or are they only available throughout this thread?

Also, I believe I will be updating from 2.0. Will I need to do the note calibration?

Lastly, are there official manual addendums for the updates outside of the descriptions in the posts by Amos?
Moog Minitaur
iMac 3.6GHz 8-Core i9, 64GB RAM, OS 10.14.6

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:12 pm

Hi all; we're getting very close to an official release at this point. It will come with an updated manual addendum covering all the changes since the last official firmware release. This thread will no longer be necessary reference material. :)

As for when, I would say "this month" -- I am wrapping up final changes to the editor now, and working on the documentation. I believe that the firmware is done.

Here is the most current firmware release candidate:

http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/mi ... 2_0_30.zip

This version fixes a bug in v2.0.29 where the Release On/Off switch could get out of sync between the editor and the hardware.

There is one thing I'd like for folks to test... I have gotten reports in the past that the Glide could break, when switching between Exponential and other glide types...the symptom is, you switch to Exponential mode and then the oscillator pitch stops changing in response to notes. Problem is I can't get this symptom to occur, so I can't fix it (nothing to fix). If you can figure out a repeatable way to cause this problem, it would be a big help. Or if you conclude that you also can't get any problems to happen when changing glide type, that's also good to know. :)

Regarding the editor, I am waiting for a small fix -- POLY VOICE NUMBER and POLY VOICE MAX are reversed on the Setup page -- then, I think the editor will be ready for initial release. I'm also waiting for a quick start guide to be written, which should also be done this week.

ricards

Post by ricards » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:28 pm

hi Amos and all
thanks for your work in developing the minitaur, im particularly pleased by the shortcuts for having new parameters accessible on the front panel.
since im using my memory for so many other things, i started sticking some tape on the panel and writing the shortcuts.
then i thought i could go a little further and print some stickers with labels with similar design to the minitaur.
you can see what i did here http://makenoise.org/minitaur-update.html
in the first image is the panel with the stickers for the current available shortcuts.
for the second image, i started to imagine how it could be if is possible to use every knob for the other 'under the hood' parameters.
i think with good labelling we can say it all becomes 'front panel operation'
cheers

robml

Post by robml » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:12 pm

upgraded to 2.0.30 from 2.0.28

-------------------------------------------

MIDI CC VALUES FOR THE LFO CLOCK DIVIDER (CC# 86) still has problems.

at least 2/3rds of them are now incorrect. ie, should be 80, shows 79 etc etc

also, some LFO CLOCK DIVIDER options get set to the right midi value in the editor but are then being recalled in the editor incorrectly. ;) ie, set it to 1+1/2bars, it gets set (correctly) to 19, but when recalled (send all midi parameters command) the editor shows "2 Bars".

--------------------------------------------

midi sync on/off now has the opposite problem.

before it didnt follow the tempo in ableton live regardless of the state of "midi sync on/off"

now it always follows the tempo in ableton live regardless of the state of "midi sync on/off"

------------------------------------------

glide type EXP still shows a value of 86 where it should be 85.

------------------------------------------

good news about the impending release date!

cheers

dshook

Post by dshook » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:14 pm

Hi Amos - any idea about changing the knob mode to "snap" ? It seems stuck on "relative" on my MT. I have tried the v.2 editor via USB as well as sending the sysex command directly via DIN MIDI and nothing seems to change the knobs' actual behavior. If this is in fact an issue I'm sure it's a simple fix for this upcoming release, and if it isn't, can someone please fill me in on what I am missing?!

Thanks

Dan