Minitaur firmware update soon - your requests here please

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
phrygian

Re: Minitaur firmware update soon - your requests here pleas

Post by phrygian » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:47 am

Help, my Release button light is indicating the reverse! This is after the 2.0.16 update and sending a Note Calibration sysex.
I rolled back to the 2.0.14 and the Release button now seems to be okay, but whenever I power up the Minitaur the Release is always on by default. Shouldn't it be off? :cry:

spin

Post by spin » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:12 pm

the note calibration is necessary after the 2.0.16? Which time of warm up is required?

Amos

Post by Amos » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:42 pm

spin wrote:the note calibration is necessary after the 2.0.16? Which time of warm up is required?
I don't think so... use your ears; it's only necessary if the tuning or tracking is not correct.
If you wish to recalibrate, I think 10-15 minutes of warm up time is sufficient.

greenborder

Post by greenborder » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:11 am

Hi Amos,

Just registered to say thanks for your continued effort in providing updates. I'll try .16 tonight and provide feedback if needed.

Keep up the good work.

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:51 am

Thanks, greenborder! I appreciate the encouragement. :)
phrygian wrote:Help, my Release button light is indicating the reverse! This is after the 2.0.16 update and sending a Note Calibration sysex.
I rolled back to the 2.0.14 and the Release button now seems to be okay, but whenever I power up the Minitaur the Release is always on by default. Shouldn't it be off? :cry:
I'll have a look and see if there's any possible way that the Release button light could actually be "reversed" (indicating one state while the opposite state is really active) -- I don't think so, though.

There is a new behaviour that could be causing some confusion... if you are in "Release Mode 2" then the Release button simply selects whether you are, at the given moment, editing Decay or Release with the Decay/Release knobs. The Release stage is always active in this mode, meaning that turning off the Release button does NOT set the Release time to zero. That is a "Release Mode 1" behaviour, which still exists... if you want that behavior, just toggle from Release Mode 2 to Mode 1 by pressing and holding the Release button for one full second. You'll see the Release button light blink on/off either once or twice to indicate that you're now in Mode 1 or Mode 2.

Lastly, in Release Mode 2, the state of the Release button is persistent... so if you turn the unit off while the Release button is lit, it will power on with the Release button still lit... if the Release button is dark when you power down, it will be dark when you power on again. Likewise when you change presets, the state of the Release button doesn't change. Again this is only in Release Mode 2, where the Release button only controls what the Decay/Release knob is currently mapped to (Decay, or Release).

In Release Mode 1, the Release button has its original function of toggling the envelope Release time on or off (actually setting Release time to zero when off). In Release Mode 1, the on/off state of the Release button is saved per preset, since in this mode it affects the sound.

NOTE: As I wrote the above, I tested this function to be sure it behaved as described... and it turns out there is a bug :( The state of the Release parameter is loaded with each preset, but the Release button light is not updated (so the light stays on when it should go dark, upon loading a preset where Release was off.) This could be the source of the "backwards" seeming-ness... I'll fix it directly.

Cheers,

Amos

phrygian

Post by phrygian » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:50 am

Hi Amos,

Thanks for your very detailed response! The amount of dedication you put into this is incredible. =)

As for the reversed function, perhaps the explanation is that the Release light was incorrectly lit on startup, and every subsequent press of the button merely switched the light to the other state...?

Oh yes, before posting, I checked by powering off and on the Minitaur several times in different Release states (on, off, preset loaded), and in Modes 1 and 2. Whether the Release light was off or on when shutting down didn't affect the startup status. It always started up with the light on. But it wasn't displaying the correct Release status. When I checked in the Minitaur Editor, it was displaying the virtual Release light OFF, when the physical Release light was ON, and Release behaviour was indeed OFF. So, yes, your diagnosis of the Release light not being updated is correct!

OMG it has been so hard putting all this into words. Forgive my long-windedness!

Thanks! Can't wait for the new Editor. I hope the guys doing it are as dedicated as you =)

ilovemusic

Post by ilovemusic » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:07 pm

Hi Amos,

the latest firmware gives me clicks that occur every few seconds.. more in release Mode 1 than 2, release is on, sustain zero on both VCF and VCA

I have a question about the filter: Is the filter similarly susceptible to changes in temperature as the oscillator or does it remain stable :?:

Thanks

ALB

Post by ALB » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:17 pm

I had this strange "light on -sustain/ light off-release" trouble today... but it was in mode 01 i supposed. after a few clicks, it reversed itself.
for me it works pretty cool this 2.0.16 !

I have a strange / maybe silly question, but...
do the enveloppe filter is working the same than the amp enveloppe ? like... software controlled, with only three pots to save space on the box ? in this case, would it be possible to de-link decay&release in EXACTLY the same way than the amp enveloppe ? ("release" light on -> controls filter release, light off controls filter decay )

hé hé hé.... :wink:

cheers from France

Clément

ALB

Post by ALB » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:20 pm

phrygian wrote:Hi Amos,

As for the reversed function, perhaps the explanation is that the Release light was incorrectly lit on startup, and every subsequent press of the button merely switched the light to the other state...?
i guess it was that for me too. maybe the update set the release on by default, while some user's minitaurs was off, or on... in memory ?

greenborder

Post by greenborder » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:22 pm

Edit: Double post, sorry!
Last edited by greenborder on Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:47 am

I have tried almost all versions and 2.0.16 is working great, thanks for all those new features!

For me, Release Mode 2 works as expected, and Release Mode 1 works, although the light shows the wrong state; is reversed.

I do have the click several users report, and I have tried the new VCA calibration several times but it doesn't help.

I have tried most of the other new options, and everything else seems to be working really nice 8)
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

greenborder

Post by greenborder » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:45 am

Hi Amos, I tried the .16 version yesterday, I had the reversed release button state issue, but after switching back and forth between mode 1 and mode 2 it seems to work fine (at least in mode 2 which I prefer anyway).

I do however experience something strange where the modulation / mod wheel state is sometimes reset when changing parameters. For instance when I set the VCF mod value to a positive value and then turn down the mod wheel it disables (correctly) the modulation. However when changing any parameter like the VCA release or sometimes the filter cutoff, the mod value is 'applied' and I have to turn the mod wheel up and down again to reset it correctly. I haven't singled out exactly when this happens, it seems to happen when a parameters is completely turned down or up - let me know if you want me to do some more testing.

I am loving the new features, very nice I can now save the under the hood settings in panel #0 slot! One thing I don't understand is how to start from panel settings and save those in a new preset, because as soon as I select a preset it applies the parameters from the preset (understandably). Is there a way to navigate to a preset slot and reset to the panel settings and save with those values?

Thanks!

ilovemusic

Post by ilovemusic » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:23 am

Which firmware should I roll back to to get rid of the intermediate clicks ?

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:03 pm

greenborder wrote:I do however experience something strange where the modulation / mod wheel state is sometimes reset when changing parameters. For instance when I set the VCF mod value to a positive value and then turn down the mod wheel it disables (correctly) the modulation. However when changing any parameter like the VCA release or sometimes the filter cutoff, the mod value is 'applied' and I have to turn the mod wheel up and down again to reset it correctly.
any time the VCO LFO AMT or VCF LFO AMT pots are jostled, it resets the "mod wheel" parameter to maximum.
This was the best compromise for people who are using controllers with no mod wheel, versus controllers with mod wheel... the idea being if you are turning up the LFO Amount pots you want to know what the maximum amount of modulation will be... if you want dynamic mod-wheel control, you set the Amount once and then use the actual mod wheel thereafter.

See if this is what's actually happening... if not, we can investigate further.
Last edited by Amos on Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:09 pm

ilovemusic wrote:Which firmware should I roll back to to get rid of the intermediate clicks ?
don't roll back -- jump ahead! Try v2.0.18 here:

http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/mi ... 2_0_18.syx

in v2.0.18, the envelope clicks should be gone, and the Release button LED should be working correctly in all modes.

Cheers,

Amos