Minitaur firmware update soon - your requests here please

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
tagirov

Re: Minitaur firmware update soon - your requests here pleas

Post by tagirov » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:19 pm

Good news.
Can't wait to get back home from spanish vacation to upgrade the firmware and check all new issues
Best regards, Ruslan Tagirov.

Toyz: MBPro+Live 9.x+LogicProX, Moog: LP StageII/Sub37/Grandmother/MF-104m/MG-105m, Nord: Stage2 SW73/ModularG2Engine, Roland: MC909/TR-8, Korg: MS-20, R-3, OTO: Bisquit/BIM, etc.

umutgokcen

Post by umutgokcen » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:14 am

Hi all,

I recently bought the Minitaur and so far I'm loving the sound! It's amazing how well it sits in a track without any need for processing. I'm still struggling with workflow issues though :?

I tried the new firmware and it is indeed nice and stable, great work Amos! However, the preset handling is still problematic when using the editor. Like some of the previous posters I also noticed that the preset names and numbers that show up on the editor are out of line with what is on Minitaur's memory, even with the latest version of the firmware. Mind you, this is not nitpicking because there is no way of knowing which preset number you are currently at simply by looking at the hardware. I name my presets with the names of the songs they are used in so when I open up the session in six months I will know what to load. It is impossible to do this right now with this editor/firmware bug, so please get this fixed.

On the topic of preset handling, I have a suggestion for a new feature. Could we have a multi-key press from the hardware that will dump the current settings? In other words the equivalent of Command-C of the editor on the hardware itself. That way while we are writing in our sequencers we can just record the "snapshot" in a midi track and not break the workflow. Or maybe it's already possible to do this?

Cheers,

Umut

zeneixi

Post by zeneixi » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:55 am

I've just installed firmware update, but it doesn't work. My MInitaur keeps freezing since the moment I power on. Please Amos fix this, I need my Minitaur working!

evaluna

Post by evaluna » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:17 am

umutgokcen wrote:Hi all,
<snip>
On the topic of preset handling, I have a suggestion for a new feature. Could we have a multi-key press from the hardware that will dump the current settings? In other words the equivalent of Command-C of the editor on the hardware itself. That way while we are writing in our sequencers we can just record the "snapshot" in a midi track and not break the workflow. Or maybe it's already possible to do this?

Cheers,

Umut
Hi,

I don't know about a front panel shortcut, but you can do something similar by sending the Minitaur a couple of messages from your sequencer. I am quoting Amos below:

>>
Amos said:

I reckon you could save the current patch into your sequencer by recording every CC value and then playing it back.

To get the Minitaur to output a CC value for every parameter, you just have to ask it to do so. :)
(this is newly implemented in the latest firmware, v2.0.7)
You ask it to do so by sending it a special pair of messages:

CC 99 value 0, followed by CC 6 value 127.

[This is the same as saying "NRPN 0, value 127" using the basic rules for NRPN messages as defined in the MIDI 1.0 spec. In short, NRPN means "non-registered parameter number" and it's an extension of the basic MIDI CC system... by using a message or pair of messages to set the parameter, and then a separate message or pair of messages to set the value for that parameter, the NRPN system allows you to control up to 16,386 possible parameters at 7-bit or 14-bit resolution.]

so, if you send that command while recording the MIDI output of the Minitaur, it should capture all the data of your preset. Or, you could create an editor or m4l device which uses this functionality.

Amos
<<

Hope this helps.

Regards,
evaluna

zeneixi

Post by zeneixi » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:19 am

I've just updated firmware to 2.0.7 and it didn't work. When I power minitaur up, it freezes on any note I play. Please Amos fix this problem!

Chef

Post by Chef » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:52 am

Hello amos,

There is one bug that I haven't seen before in the posts and which I would really like to see fixed in the preset functionality:

- VCA output level is not stored/recalled to/from the Preset Memory of the Minitaur.
I think this is a Firmware problem. Adressing the Minitaur Memory for the VCA output level or something of the sort?

After I save the value of the Main Volume (I assume this is the same as VCA output level) from the editor to a preset, this value is recalled when I open the preset from the Editor.
After I copy the preset to the Minitaur Memory and recall the preset from the Minitaur, the value is not recalled.

Goodluck with the update!

Thanks

umutgokcen

Post by umutgokcen » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:02 pm

Thanks for the tip. I tried it and it worked :D

Still I hope that the preset handling in the editor is improved. I keep getting confused and overwrite factory presets by mistake. Every time we capture a setting the editor could create a new preset for example.

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:20 pm

Chef wrote:- VCA output level is not stored/recalled to/from the Preset Memory of the Minitaur.
Volume knob cannot be saved. It's a purely analog control.
There is a "MIDI volume" response (CC7) which digitally scales the volume envelope to a reduced maximum amount... and I don't remember if this is saved or not, I think not. I'll have a look.

zeneixi: regarding the frozen Minitaur: something about the firmware update probably didn't succeed. Otherwise, everybody who tried it would have the same experience as you, which is not the case.
So, I suggest to try the update again. Or, if it still doesn't work for you, downgrade to an earlier firmware version. If you would like more help you can email me, amos at moogmusic d.t com.

HouseCliche

Post by HouseCliche » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:53 pm

Hi Amos,

I'm a proud Minitaur owner and this is my first post. Just finished an intense solo session with the mtaur through an analog delay pedal that rattled the windows and flowed like a dream, during which came the following "vision"...

I'm rocking the latest firmware 2.07 - installed perfectly, stable, no issues, happy days.

But there's a fundamental problem with the editor/firmware that needs addressing and that I'd characterise thusly:

"No discernible, useful workflow that makes sense for the working musician"

Sound harsh? Bear with me - the editor is a disparate collection of screens and menus that provide no clear path to task oriented success in any meaningful way - there are no consistent visual cues that represent "job done" that can be relied on, and there seems to be a disconnect between what the firmware claims to support versus what the editor allows - or how the editor interfaces to what the firmware supports e.g. I want to have OSC sync always on, velocity and key to env settings at 0% with a sync LFO, then create a preset that uses these settings and the unit always to use these settings after power cycle and the editor to reflect my choices(and I just described a workflow) .
Depending on who you read in this thread the above workflow will result in either 1) punchy preset that sounds different after power cycle or 2) punchy preset that sounds the same but editor doesn't reflect the settings. Details, schmeetails !!
I say ignore all the details in this thread as they are a black hole of important, trivial and sometimes illogical suggestions that are a huge draw on your time. What then to do?

Abstract UPWARDS.

I'm not suggesting you redesign the editor into one screen flow (see mininova editor for excellent example of this though) - I'm suggesting you forget all the detail from customers for a few cycles and get down to fixing end to end workflows that make sense.

So lets build some workflow Use Cases/Scenarios:

1. Bob hates presets, he's an old school dude that likes his hands on the panel but loves that the editor/firmware lets him get under the hood, set up his prefs and get on with making music. From time to time he needs to adjust his legato settings and its important that when he fires up he editor, the settings reflect the actual state of his unit.

2. Bob Junior loves building presets so he can "switch things up" quickly when he's gigging at the local hop. He needs reliable preset management and for the editor to be consistent with the actual sound of his presets - sometimes he just wants to make a quick change to an existing preset, push it, and play out.

3. Bobby purchased a widely advertised and much anticipated BASS synth with a heritage to be proud of, but wishes he could play higher up the keyboard so he can communicate with Norman, his pet chihuahua. Although Norman is a dog, Norman wishes the Minitaur were a Polysynth and is petitioning Bobby to flashmob Moog Music inc until his demands are met. Bobby thinks Norman is confused, he also thinks Mila Kunis is his girlfriend, but quite likes the flashmob idea and is currently rallying his buddies on the online gaming forums where he likes to hangout when he's not busting "Phatt toons" or posting pictures of Norman pretending to be a cat making goat noises.

Etc

Hell, start with two or three - you decide.

Now trot your scenarios round the office/your buddies, and test them on folks who actually make music with synths (maybe even with Minitaurs, radikal right?). Rip em down and rebuild until the worflows make sense, have a sublime logic, a purity of expression, or just plain work.

Ignore all other details, demands, and customer wish lists, until the workflows are solid - only critical bug fixes should distract the young Padawan during this time.

Deliver the workflows, then kick back and start working on the i-lead-poly-taurus-cheese-grill-thingy or something.

Make sense? Cool. Peace out.

Cool story eh bro?

chefmenteur

Post by chefmenteur » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:23 pm

If it's not too late to add a feature request, I'd love to see an alternate scale editor like the Little Phatty has.

Cheers!

marc1634

Post by marc1634 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:51 pm

The capture bank function doesn't seem to work fine. For example, I have a preset called "Say to me" (named after a song) stored in slot #1. When I turn on the Minitaur and capture the bank to get my presets, "Say to me" is now stored in the slot #2. The slot #1 is now called ''Init''.

For live shows, I usually make a list of the presets that I need but if the presets are changing places without notice, this problem could give me some bad surprises... :? So yeah... that's a weird problem. Thanks for the support but please fix this! :roll:

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:35 am

that sounds like correct behaviour ~ will have to recheck documentation myself, but I believe
the first slot is reserved for that "init" patch
marc1634 wrote:The capture bank function doesn't seem to work fine. For example, I have a preset called "Say to me" (named after a song) stored in slot #1. When I turn on the Minitaur and capture the bank to get my presets, "Say to me" is now stored in the slot #2. The slot #1 is now called ''Init''.

For live shows, I usually make a list of the presets that I need but if the presets are changing places without notice, this problem could give me some bad surprises... :? So yeah... that's a weird problem. Thanks for the support but please fix this! :roll:
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

Amos

Post by Amos » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:05 pm

HouseCliche: Awesome first post. You are right on with your recommendations, too. Thank you.

marc1634

Post by marc1634 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:46 pm

misterpete wrote:that sounds like correct behaviour ~ will have to recheck documentation myself, but I believe
the first slot is reserved for that "init" patch
marc1634 wrote:The capture bank function doesn't seem to work fine. For example, I have a preset called "Say to me" (named after a song) stored in slot #1. When I turn on the Minitaur and capture the bank to get my presets, "Say to me" is now stored in the slot #2. The slot #1 is now called ''Init''.

The Slot #0 is used for the current settings. By #1 I meant 2nd slot! Hope I made clear for everyone! :wink:

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:18 am

The Minitaur Editor preset display has a painful "off by one" error. The actual presets in memory don't move around. However, the Editor displays these presets "off by one" from their real location. It's pretty crazy-making.

This will definitely not be the case in a proposed completely-overhauled future editor, and if possible I'll try to get the current editor patched to fix this as well. I can't make any promises about when this will happen, though, since only the firmware is in my direct control and software is handled by other folks. I'll do the best I can to make it a top priority, however.

Cheers,

Amos