TAURUS ~ ToeTap Switch to toggle NOTE LATCH?

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
misterpete

TAURUS ~ ToeTap Switch to toggle NOTE LATCH?

Post by misterpete » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:30 pm

I'm just getting familiar with using the Taurus arpeggiator as 'step sequencer' wondering if there a shortcut to toggle NOTE LATCH _on/off without going into 'Advanced Presets'? Would be great if there was a way to do this with a toe-tappable foot-click ~ similar to starting/stopping the arpeggiator with the DECAY switch in PGM mode
-- IS this functionality already available, and I'm just not finding it?
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

psynthetic

Re: TAURUS ~ ToeTap Switch to toggle NOTE LATCH?

Post by psynthetic » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:24 pm

I dont think there's a footswitch to do it. But that is a great idea for the next update.

The best alternative i could give you is that your master menu remembers your most recent "location", so if you roll it over to Note Latch, then go back to preset mode, do your thing, whatever, when you next hit master it will already be sitting at Note Latch ready to be flicked on. OR, they may be a MIDI CC message you could send.. have to take alook in the addendum you got with the latest update download.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:36 pm

Thanks! ~i'm sure there must be a MIDI CC for it in that addendum list ~ and that reminds me ~ how do folks generally send MIDI CC's?
I have done it with plasticy Oxygen8 and AxiomPro swiss army type keyboard MIDI controllers but I don't tend to keep them hooked up, or need them for much else. I wonder if it's easy to send specific CCs directly from a DAW -(LOGIC?) or directly from a Voyager?
Please Call Me, PETE

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:06 am

A great idea indeed.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

psynthetic

Post by psynthetic » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:52 pm

I use ableton for MIDI duties.

I'd definently recommend getting a DAW into your setup, so long as the kind of performance or working enviroment you have in mind would be sympathetic to having a computer on hand.

Being able to clock everything to a central source is just dreamy. Add to that a plethora of send and return FX, the ability to launch dummy clips with tempo synced FX (eg: trigger a delay in quavers, semi quavers, etc) and have them all start together, on the bar, in unison, from a single button push. Wow. Not to mention the vast selection of backup drums, percussion, etc, etc that just became availible to you.
Plus i can use it as a live looper?! get outta here! :p

Also, Ableton 9 is on the horizon and that Push controller.. well... the whole package is a game changer in my eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7dIkonCfFE

psynthetic

Post by psynthetic » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:07 am

I was reading the T3 manual today and the feature you want DOES excist. I cant believe i forgot about it.

Enter PGM mode (hold down Transpose) then hit "Octave" that will turn Note Latch on and off with your feet.

Sorry i didnt remember sooner, still better late then never, eh?

That Amos thinks of everything it seems. :wink:

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:38 am

Wait are you sure about that? Now I can't wait to try it first thing in the morning! I thought that in PGM mode DECAY turns the Arpeggiator ON ~ and that OCTAVE turns the Arpeggiator LATCH ON
... oh look! I found it in the .pdf of the manual! Page 20 Right you are! Thank YOU!!! and Amos :wink:

---
can't copy that text from the .pdf but here's related info from the FW version 2 addendum:

FOOTSWITCH PGM MODE: the behavior of the Arpeggiator Tap Tempo function has been improved. Press and hold the TRANSPOSE/PGM switch until its LED starts blinking rapidly; in this mode the DECAY footswitch acts as Arpeggiator Tap Tempo. Pressing the DECAY switch will turn on the arpeggiator, and tapping this switch three times sets tap tempo. The new behavior is that you can press and hold the DECAY switch for 2 seconds to turn off the arpeggiator. NOTE: There is a 3-second timeout on the tap-tempo function; you must wait 3 seconds for timeout after tapping a tempo, or the next DECAY switch press will still be interpreted as a tempo tap (potentially with a very long tap interval).

BTW, Taurus FW update DOES let us filter CCs out in either/both directions :D ~ but unless someone can correct me ~the T3 Arp still doesn't have an option to send out MIDI notes out like the Phatty does :cry:
psynthetic wrote:I was reading the T3 manual today and the feature you want DOES excist. I cant believe i forgot about it.

Enter PGM mode (hold down Transpose) then hit "Octave" that will turn Note Latch on and off with your feet.

Sorry i didnt remember sooner, still better late then never, eh?

That Amos thinks of everything it seems. :wink:
Please Call Me, PETE

psynthetic

Post by psynthetic » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:51 pm

No worries, mate :)

Good news about the MIDI filtering.

Have you tried running your T3 into the external input on your XL yet? Use MIDI and or Pitch/Gate CV's to trigger them together, getting some T3 bottom end underneath some XL lead sounds or something? That would be really high up on my list if i had the priviliege of owning those two units.

I swear i'll do some experiements with the T3 Arp sending MIDI to Ableton soon.. but we're getting ready to move house in 3 weeks, so oppertunitys are few and far between right now with two EPs and a Theater show on my plate at the same time im pretty much flat out.... I spend more time staring at the T3 or reading the manual than i do playing it right now im afraid :(

Fingers crossed for a better studio space at my new place :D

marty

Post by marty » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:44 am

~the T3 Arp still doesn't have an option to send out MIDI notes out like the Phatty does
misterpete,

I mentioned this in another thread trying to help you figure out your issue--I use the arp over MIDI DIN with no set-up or special care. If you're talking about MIDI USB I don't know but over DIN the T3 definitely sends note-on (sometimes note-off is a little sketchy).

Using DIN out I have used the T3 arp as a controller of legacy Yamaha products as well as to arpeggiate my Voyager. What sort of attempts have you made to use the T3/arp as a controller?

Marty

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:08 pm

Thanks Marty ~ yes not sure where that other thread is - in the Phatty forum I think

In any case, yes using DIN out with no DAW or other device interfering in between ~ making sure MIDI channels are correct etc I can confirm the following results with T3 sending to either Minitaur or Voyager ~ a T3 arp pattern will indeed play correctly over MIDI until you try to transpose it ~ when you hit the T3s Transpose Key, the Taurus will play the correctly transposed pattern as expected- however, the MIDI out will continue to play the original untransposed pattern
Please Call Me, PETE

psynthetic

Post by psynthetic » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:50 pm

marty wrote: T3 definitely sends note-on (sometimes note-off is a little sketchy).
Hahaha. Gotta want it i guess..

I think i managed to miss your reply aswell Marty.. must just be a subtle kinda guy. :lol:

Still, good news about the MIDI notes on the arp, apparantly it was MIDIs 30th birthday on the 14th, so thats super cool that we're still trying to extract the most out of it today :D

I imagine everyone'll be due for a new set of FW updates once all the fuss from this new product (sub phatty?) dies down and its established and stable..

marty

Post by marty » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:44 pm

So I tried what you were talking about misterpete, and as you said the arpeggiator will not transpose the MIDI notes it sends--with the arp off transpose affects the MIDI note as it would the synth engine. I don't think this came up when some of us were beta testing the current FW, but it'd be great to see this addressed, I love using that arp and it would be cool to transpose its control of other synths.

calaverasgrande

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:30 am

I just select the arp latch menu and use the mod/ entry wheel to toggle it.
Also when the arp order is set to " order" you just play the same notes backward to stop it.
So if you played C F G then you would "pedal" gfc to end the arp.
Taurus III, Digitone, Dark Energy, OB6, MG1, Grandmother, Blofeld

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:44 am

Hi Marty!

i talked to Amos about this T3 ARP re: MIDI master/slave transpose bug at Namm and he asked me to eMail him a reminder
which I THINK i remembered to do ~ probably wouldn't hurt if anybody else wants to do the same though :D
there's just one or two of these firmware issues ~ this and adding midi CC filter controls to the Voyager OS are the biggest ones i think.
marty wrote:So I tried what you were talking about misterpete, and as you said the arpeggiator will not transpose the MIDI notes it sends--with the arp off transpose affects the MIDI note as it would the synth engine. I don't think this came up when some of us were beta testing the current FW, but it'd be great to see this addressed, I love using that arp and it would be cool to transpose its control of other synths.
Please Call Me, PETE