Taurus Clock Divider

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
psynthetic

Taurus Clock Divider

Post by psynthetic » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:55 pm

Hi guys.. Had my T3 for a couple weeks now, really enjoying it, starting to be able to reach where i need to get the results i want without consulting the manual.

This morning i upgraded from 1.11 to 2.0.2.. it seems to of worked fine.

But..

For some reason, i cant seem to find the note divider in the menues of the T3... not sure if its the update or if i've forgotten... i can find the place to set the BPM and such (cool that it's displayed in BPM now! and the Note Latch actually WORKS!) BUT, i cant find the menu where i can set it to whole notes, 4th's 8th's triplets etc, etc.....

I've got a feeling i've just had a mental blank.. i've scanned the manual and stuff and cant seem to find it.. which is weird cause thats where i would of learned to do it... I think i must have some tunnel vision going on.

Any help'd be appreciated, im keen as to get back into it :D

psynthetic

Re: Taurus Clock Divider

Post by psynthetic » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:09 pm

The more i look into this the more it appears that i wasnt SUPPOSED to be able to access the clock divider before without being in MIDI sync mode... :|

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:06 pm

I'm pretty sure that's correct ~ and that I didn't see actual Time Division Markers ie 1/4 , 1/8, 1/16 etc until I updated my FirmWare ~ and then it works as you say with clock set to MIDI ~ but I discovered if you break the chain you can lose them again~ ie switching out the USB Midi cable from your Taurus and into your Minitaur or whatever ~ you will need to make sure you are plugged in, reset ~ recycle/reboot and set the clock back to MIDI :oops:
psynthetic wrote:The more i look into this the more it appears that i wasnt SUPPOSED to be able to access the clock divider before without being in MIDI sync mode... :|
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

psynthetic

Post by psynthetic » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:10 am

Although... i just finished a computerless/clockless (MIDI sync-less) "jam" session with the Taurus and not being able to Change between 1/4 1/16T etc was actually quite limiting. It clearly has the ability to divide its own internal clock... i think it IS a bug that i can seem to do that without an external clock now...

If thats not the case, it should really be right at the top of the feature list for the next update..

Aside from this, and some note sticking here and there (havent done anything to see if i can replicate it "at will" yet) i havent found any problems with the latest FW update while its running standalone.. havent done a thorough investigation while hooked to a DAW yet.. but all the basic things like MIDI CC filter/volume automation work fine..

psynthetic

Post by psynthetic » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:51 am

Yup... after extensive (grueling) research, i've decided i've have three things high on my wish list for the next T3 update.

1) The ability to set 1/4, 1/16T etc, etc on the arpeggiator without being synced to a DAW or external clock of some description

2) I want to be able to set a floor and ceiling (min and max) value on the LFO Rate, eg: set a floor value of 0.59Hz and a ceiling of 2.36 Hz, (1 bar and 1/4 at 142 BPM respectively) and flick back and forth between a (essentially tempo synced.. (with some planning)) modulation wobble/pulse/whateve at either a bar or 1/4 beat and not have to worry about overshooting to a non musical frequency.

3) Maybe a way to sync LFO Rate to Arp Rate... not "hard" but so they can rise and fall with a linear relationship with one stroke of the modulation wheel (eg: LFO Rate at 0.59Hz and Arp at 142, then Tap Tempo Arp to 138, LFO Rate automatically jump to 0.57Hz)

the third one seems like it may be a tall order.. but the first two are basically must have and well within the realms of possibility im sure.

I really think this would improve the live performance potential of the T3 in a really big way, not so much when its hooked up to a DAW.. you could just automate these things (although it would be a bit fiddly, though maybe if you got your figures dialled in you could record in the MIDI CC change with MIDI send... i think?), but as a standalone analogue instrument, i really think it would be a huge leap forward in on stage ergonomics.

calaverasgrande

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:55 pm

The BPM display is nice, but it's always starting off at 400BPM or so, which is nowhere in the ballpark!
It should default to 120bpm (like all the old sequencers and drum machines did) and maybe offset from there?
I will say that post update I am finding it much easier to start an arp on the "one". Before I'd get different results each time.
Taurus III, Digitone, Dark Energy, OB6, MG1, Grandmother, Blofeld

calaverasgrande

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:34 pm

I think it needs an "initial/current/continuous" setting for the LFO such as the MP201 has.
I gotta say I feel so priveleged and exclusive that I own two modern Moog pieces that are discontinued.
(MP201 and T3)
yet Moog continues to issue updates and such.

I had a nice jam session last weekend where I got my MP201 and the T3 synced to the drum machine (via x0xb0x din sync to midi!).
So nice to have LFOs arpeggios and the kick and snare all showing up in the right places in the measure!
Now to get my head around this midi Murf...
Taurus III, Digitone, Dark Energy, OB6, MG1, Grandmother, Blofeld

psynthetic

Post by psynthetic » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:49 pm

Been a long time absent, moved house, rebuilding studio,blah blah blah..

calaverasgrande: that setup you've got with the MP-201 and xOx sounds intresting.. I've been thinking about getting an MP-201 in the mix..

I'm still having a little bit of a problem with the clock divider though and i was hoping someone could help me.

I can adjust the divider to 1/4 1/8D whatever with the value knob, however, when i try and automate it to change between these values via MIDI (from Ableton over USB) nothing happens.

I have had (mixed) success automating the filter and other things (although the MSB/LSB thing is doing my head in trying to get smooth and precise automation happening) but i cant get that clock divider to change via DAW automation.

Thanks for your help guys..