Minitaur LFO issue thread

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
EMwhite

Minitaur LFO issue thread

Post by EMwhite » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:55 am

I didn't get too much in the way of responses to the other thread so wanted to start new.

To begin with; I see an issue as soon as I power up, and the issue is simply that the LFO is pinned super high speed. Only after I move the rate knob slightly will it run at the rate it should.

I have a fresh copy of v2.0.0 software installed and otherwise, just playing with a DIN connected keyboard, nothign else.

Can anybody with 2.0.0 confirm the same?

Thanks.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Stuka

Re: Minitaur LFO issue thread

Post by Stuka » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:14 pm

Any chance that is a setting associated with the last preset loaded?
You might want to try resetting the "panel mode", then reset power and see if that makes a difference.

From the 2.0 manual:

Hold the GLIDE button and press both VCO 1 and VCO 2 buttons to return to
panel mode (Preset 0).

Might be worth a try!

Randy
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:53 pm

Not sure what preset comes up when I restart but clearly, I've turned it off with different presets loaded up.

So I take it that you do not have this issue? Amos suggests doing a factory reset to try and cure a certain situation but also asked that I try to help troubleshoot some of this without doing so because others have and still appear to be having some problem.

This is a very pesky issue and likely very low level. My Minitaur is rather new (serial number 3000-something) but I doubt it is hardware related but possibly relating to some setting between versions of code, etc.

Will see what I can find out and get back to this thread, thanks for the suggestion.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:53 pm

EMwhite wrote:Not sure what preset comes up when I restart but clearly, I've turned it off with different presets loaded up.

So I take it that you do not have this issue? Amos suggests doing a factory reset to try and cure a certain situation but also asked that I try to help troubleshoot some of this without doing so because others have and still appear to be having some problem.

This is a very pesky issue and likely very low level. My Minitaur is rather new (serial number 3000-something) but I doubt it is hardware related but possibly relating to some setting between versions of code, etc.

Will see what I can find out and get back to this thread, thanks for the suggestion.
So far, my Minitaur seems to be "cooperating" ~ I haven't been experiencing the issues some folks have been posting about on this section of the forum. I bought mine new at a Guitar Center just a few weeks ago.

Luckily, so far the only issue I had was my first attempt at the firmware didn't "take", but a power reset and 2nd attempt seemed to correct that. I'm still trying to figure out all the ins-and-outs of using the 2.0 editor, but the synth itself seems to be working as advertised.

Hopefully the factory reset will get yours functioning properly - good luck! :)
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

filosofem

Post by filosofem » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:36 am

After Minitaur v2 firmware upgrade the LFO Rate only needs to travel half the distance to cover the same speed of v1 firmware.
Aaron Mulqueen: Moog Subsequent 37 - MF 104M

citric_acid

Post by citric_acid » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:41 am

also the problem is stil there . if you use the lfo and a modwheel, the LFo stop working and just work if the modwheel is changed. after a reeboot it works just if you use a manual patch till you touch the modwheel, then the same problem.

hope moog will fix this soon.

the reset patch from amos doesn't help
I tweak the knop till it´s broken

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:05 pm

Hey guys. Just an update.

I performed a Factory Reset followed by re-load of v2.0.0 code (posted on the Moog web site). Happy to say that I haven't had any issues since so LFO problem solved! Code and SysEx command bundle here: http://www.moogmusic.com/downloads

Minitaur starts up normally, LFO works well and properly in all scenarios.

If you have the SysEx and are comfortable with the procedures, have at it. If you need assistance, give Moog Support a call @ +1 (828) 251-0090

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:12 pm

citric_acid wrote:also the problem is stil there . if you use the lfo and a modwheel, the LFo stop working and just work if the modwheel is changed. after a reeboot it works just if you use a manual patch till you touch the modwheel, then the same problem.
I understand now. This isn't a bug; it's supposed to work that way.

When you send a Mod Wheel message, you set a "mod wheel amount" inside the Minitaur. This mod wheel amount scales the LFO effect from zero to maximum. When you turn down the mod wheel to zero, LFO effect is zero. Turn the modwheel to maximum, LFO effect is maximum (as set by the VCO Amount and VCF Amount pots). Mod Wheel value persists when you change presets.

I can make an alternative setting where Mod Wheel amount is set to maximum (same as on reboot) each time you change preset. This will fix it for you, I think.

-Amos

citric_acid

Post by citric_acid » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:31 am

Amos wrote:
citric_acid wrote:also the problem is stil there . if you use the lfo and a modwheel, the LFo stop working and just work if the modwheel is changed. after a reeboot it works just if you use a manual patch till you touch the modwheel, then the same problem.
I understand now. This isn't a bug; it's supposed to work that way.

When you send a Mod Wheel message, you set a "mod wheel amount" inside the Minitaur. This mod wheel amount scales the LFO effect from zero to maximum. When you turn down the mod wheel to zero, LFO effect is zero. Turn the modwheel to maximum, LFO effect is maximum (as set by the VCO Amount and VCF Amount pots). Mod Wheel value persists when you change presets.

I can make an alternative setting where Mod Wheel amount is set to maximum (same as on reboot) each time you change preset. This will fix it for you, I think.

-Amos
hi amos,

thanks for your replay.
till kopper told me that this is not a bug and translatet that in german for me.
It will be verry nice if you can add this function . maximum to the wheel amount will be a nice function.

thanks and sorry for my confusion. its not easy sometimes.

thanks,cit
I tweak the knop till it´s broken

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:48 am

I think an easier way to understand it is by comparing it to the Volume/Expression CC and how they relate to each other, where the first one (LFO Amount) governs governs over the second one (M. Wheel), and the second one is not saved on the preset; the value always begins on 127.

Both parameters control the same feature, and I think this works fine.

. .

The LFO rate, however, does not behave as it should.

From 0-82, the rate changes as expexted, but when the value of the CC control is 83-127, the value goes to zero
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

Funky Switches

Post by Funky Switches » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:10 am

My new minitaur with current firmware; lfo will only respond to change when the sequencer (digitakt) is playing. When the Digitakt is stopped lfo will not respond to knob or midi.

If I turn off transport send, no response from lfo knob or midi message. If I defeat lfo midi control messages from the Digitakt; send nothing but notes, lfo is a dead stick.

So the issue Isn't a show stopper, but I likes to jam some with the low end, so I either need to play and mute a sequence, or plug my keys directly to the minitaur.

So it's more of a flow stopper..... what's your guess?

Quatschmacher

Post by Quatschmacher » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:58 pm

Is LFO MIDI sync enabled on the Minitaur? If so, that could be the issue. Stopping the external MIDI clock might mean it has nothing to lock on to.

Funky Switches

Post by Funky Switches » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:42 pm

LFO sync it was....thanks! And it's controlled via midi cc!