Minitaur with Moogerfooger

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
bamorello

Minitaur with Moogerfooger

Post by bamorello » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:09 pm

I'm looking at picking up the Minitaur to use with my wind controller and wanted to also get a moogerfooger pedal to go along with it. I was thinking about the Ring Modulator but I wasn't sure. The LPF didn't make sense because the Minitaur filter sweeps from 20hz - 20kHz.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Brian

namahshaman

Re: Minitaur with Moogerfooger

Post by namahshaman » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:30 am

Freq box!

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:59 am

Hey Brian, welcome to the forum.

Well, it depends on what kind of sound you want to achieve and what kind of playing you want. The FreqBox, as said Namah, as well as the delay are the obvious ones for you if you don't want to have your hands leaving the wind controller.
Otherwise, or unless you use an expression pedal, the Ring Mod and Phaser can be cool. The ClusterFlux might be of limited interest, anyone correct me.
The filter and MuRF, I'm not sure at all.

synthaxe

Post by synthaxe » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:50 pm

bamorello wrote:I'm looking at picking up the Minitaur to use with my wind controller and wanted to also get a moogerfooger pedal to go along with it. I was thinking about the Ring Modulator but I wasn't sure. The LPF didn't make sense because the Minitaur filter sweeps from 20hz - 20kHz.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Brian
Brian,

CP-251, no doubt about it. The possibilities of modulation and control would be expanded greatly.

You can't really go wrong with any fooger. They all do a lot of things and a lot of things well. Even the 101. It can be used for anything from mu-tron style effect, to super fat synth swells and everything in between By no means is it just a filter. It also self-resonates so that can be used for certain effects. Other than the CP-251, I'd suggest you get a 104m, unless you have a really good analog delay already, but even then the 104m is going to offer you more useable and interactive features than any analog delay I know of. With the 103 you will get one of the best phasers made, plus and lfo out cv to use to modulate different parameters of you Minitaur. I haven't played a Rig Mod yet, but I imagine you could get some pretty interesting textures and killer effects going with it. It seems like a whole lot of people use the Freq Box with their Moog synthesizers. You can't really go wrong, but once you get one you'll more than likely want then all.
Little Phatty Stage II, Minitaur, MF-105, MF-103, MF-102, MF-101, Mesa/Boogie Mark IV, EVH 5150III 50 Watt, EVM12L Speakers, ESP Eclipse-II FR, USA Charvel So-Cal, Squier Vintage Modified Surf Stratocaster, Alesis MidiVerb 4, and tons of Electro Harmonix.

bamorello

Post by bamorello » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:20 pm

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your input.

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:26 am

bamorello wrote: You can't really go wrong, but once you get one you'll more than likely want then all.
So true. I started with a Freq box two years ago, and now I have every fooger except the Phaser (which is coming soon, ha)

bamorello

Post by bamorello » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:59 pm

Again thank you all for your input. I ended up going with the MF-104M, which I purchased along with the Minitaur yesterday. I'm looking forward to creating some craziness.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:30 am

Congrats :) You cannot go wrong with a delay.

synthaxe

Post by synthaxe » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:45 pm

namahshaman wrote:
bamorello wrote: You can't really go wrong, but once you get one you'll more than likely want then all.
So true. I started with a Freq box two years ago, and now I have every fooger except the Phaser (which is coming soon, ha)
Hey, did you get you Phaser yet? What do you think of it? It's such an incredible phaser, and so much more interactive and deep than any other phaser I've ever played. I also love the LFO out option in it. Apparently, it has the capability of doing a Bi-Phase if you patch an lfo into the sweep in, and then set the stage to 12. I hope you enjoy it as much as I am! Oh, it's super quiet too :)
Little Phatty Stage II, Minitaur, MF-105, MF-103, MF-102, MF-101, Mesa/Boogie Mark IV, EVH 5150III 50 Watt, EVM12L Speakers, ESP Eclipse-II FR, USA Charvel So-Cal, Squier Vintage Modified Surf Stratocaster, Alesis MidiVerb 4, and tons of Electro Harmonix.

puzzlegob

Post by puzzlegob » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:58 am

I've got a Minitaur arriving today (YAY!) - and have a few moogerfoogers.

I'll be off work on Monday & Tuesday and would be happy to record a few quick examples for you.

I've got a 101 Lowpass, 103 Phaser, 104M MIDI Delay & 108M Cluster Flux

bamorello

Post by bamorello » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:33 am

My ultimate goal is to add probably of the foogers along with the CP-251. I'm looking into my next purchase and was considering the LPF, Phaser or Ring Mod. Any suggestions on what would pair nicely with the MF-104?

I like using the delay with the minitaur but I'd also like to venture into using the foogers with the EWI4000s and my sax (need to get a wireless mic set up).

Also any tips on patching the foogers together would be great.

puzzlegob

Post by puzzlegob » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:15 pm

bamorello wrote:My ultimate goal is to add probably of the foogers along with the CP-251. I'm looking into my next purchase and was considering the LPF, Phaser or Ring Mod. Any suggestions on what would pair nicely with the MF-104?

I like using the delay with the minitaur but I'd also like to venture into using the foogers with the EWI4000s and my sax (need to get a wireless mic set up).

Also any tips on patching the foogers together would be great.
I like to run my 104M delay through the 103 Phaser and use the stereo outputs with a slow LFO to create a nice stereo delay sound. By tweaking the Phaser you can get just the right amount of stereo movement. The stereo out uses even numbered filter poles for one channel, and odd for the other, so you get a truly unique stereo effect, (whereas the Cluster Flux just uses phase-inversion on the feedback of the right channel).

Plus with the 103, you get an LFO output, with a HUUUGE range that goes well into audio-rate modulation.

My other favourite moogerfooger combo is using the Lowpass 101's envelope follower CV-out to modulate the 'Time' CV-in of the clusterflux. It creates a wild, elastic sounding comb-filter type effect. It does amazing things to drum tracks!

puzzlegob

Post by puzzlegob » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:28 pm

I did a basic recording after work with the Minitaur running through the 104M and 103 (with stereo out)

It also has a Slim Phatty sequence (with varying amount of delay/phaser and reverb)

The drums are DSI Tempest being fed into the 101 lowpass and 108M clusterflux, (with the 101's envelope follower modulating the cluster flux's time-cv)

The reverb is the Vermona Retroverb Lancet, which is new to me, so I mess around with the VCA and VCF parameters a lot towards the end.

This is not a very good track, just a 1 bar loop that I jammed around with after work - created and recorded in about 30 minutes.

http://soundcloud.com/puzzlegob/minitest-wav

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:20 am

Same here - the low pass was the last one for me and surprised me with how wonderfully useful it has been - despite already having the "same" filter in my Voyager, Slim Phatty and Minitaur ~ next I will maybe add a second CP-251 or a different 104 - I have the 104z not sure how different it is from the current 104
namahshaman wrote:
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

mrboxxed

Post by mrboxxed » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:50 am

I've got a minitaur and a cp251... Just about to put down for the sub phatty, have been researching which fooger to go with also. I think it's going to be a MF103 Phaser!! I've got a MXR carbon copy delay I was thinking the phaser and delay might work well together. :D