Minitaur Pitch CV Problems

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
ZacGotTheButt

Minitaur Pitch CV Problems

Post by ZacGotTheButt » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:18 pm

Hi everyone thanks in advance for looking at this. So whenever I attempt to use a cv to control the pitch of the minitaur all i get is a very annoying single mid to high pitched tone. When A waveform is sent to it from my cp-251 the tone will oscillate with the LFO of the cp-251 but still that same unchanging pitch. When attempting to use an ep-2 expression pedal all it does is very roughly change back and forth from the sound of the minitaur to the unchanging pitched tone. The problem became clear when I attempted to recreate the patches used in the moog video with the minitaur, cp-251, moogerfooger ring mod and ep- 2. I know I made these connection appropriately. but pitch change was impossible. Anyway I'm fairly new to cv so maybe i'm just being a noob but this seems like an issue with the pitch cv input on the minitaur. Thanks again for reading and please help. This is making me rip my hair out.

EMwhite

Re: Minitaur Pitch CV Problems

Post by EMwhite » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:01 pm

One thing to remember about Pitch CV in general is that in the majority of modern implementations, the Pitch is only relative to the last note played.

So if you plug in a Midi keyboard and play the highest note that the OSCs can produce, then plug in an expression pedal (or any voltage into the Pitch CV), you'll get nothing but annoying high pitch tones which may only vary but the slightest margin (a fraction of a semitone). The EP-2, with it's somewhat imprecise string mechanism may not give absolutely precise heel toe voltage and of course the trim port changes the range.

Try this. On your Midi keyboard, play a very low note on Minitaur, then try you expression pedal or CP-251 again. I bet it works as you might expect. Of course the really cool thing about this setup is that if you have a sequence running (via CV), you can simply press a single key to transpose the sequence.

Remember the last key you press on the keyboard sets the absolute 0 point (where 0 voltage will sound) anything higher than that from a voltage perspective will create a higher frequency, but only if you are still within 'range' of the tones the Minitaur can create.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

ZacGotTheButt

Post by ZacGotTheButt » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:17 pm

Thank you very much for getting back to me. I tried exactly what you said with no luck. It took almost a half an hour of plugging and unplugging to get my midi keyboard to make any noise other than that annoying pitched tone through the minitaur. After some stroke of luck the minitaur finally started producing the sounds it should and I attempted plugging the ep-2 into pitch and got the same response as before...anything other than fully compressed at the heal yeilds whining pitched tone. After unplugging the ep-2 my keyboard no longer had any pitch at all. Every note just triggered the oscillators at the same pitch. Thank you again. Any other suggestions? I'm really starting to think I just purchased a broken minitaur!

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:28 pm

Did you try pushing a known good patch in to see what happens? (via one of the sample patches in the Patch Editor).

The only thing that I can think of is that some internal parameter is set to some funky value.

A call to support may be in order; I know that the Moog techs have ways of doing hard reset, likely not documented.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Amos

Post by Amos » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:59 pm

Sounds like the CV input may not have been calibrated correctly. This is easy to fix, although ideally you'd want an accurate volt meter or a precision voltage source to do the calibration. If you have another keyboard or something that can output 1V/octave pitch CV, then you can use that to do it.

Contact techsupport at moog music dot com and Perry should be able to give you the pitch-CV calibration instructions. I think that is all you need in order to be up and running.

-Amos