Latest, Greatest Minitaur Editor - Get It Here

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
RoboticEFX

Editor feedback

Post by RoboticEFX » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:53 am

I just have some feedback on using the editor. These aren't huge issues or anything, but just some stuff that I noticed.

-Can't use asterisk saving patch names. It's not a big deal, but I usually tag the beginning of my patches with an asterisk to identify certain ones. It probably seems like a hilarious thing to mention, but I was curious about it.
-Can't hold down backspace to quickly delete a patch name, and can't hold down the arrow key to quickly move back and forth in the patch name.
-Can't use the mouse to click in the middle of a patch name. It always goes straight to the end.
-Scrolling the menu bar up, makes it go down, and down makes it go up. Also, the mouse wheel doesn't work to make it go up/down. For example, if you have multiple MIDI interfaces active. Opening the editor, opening "under the hood", and looking down at "outputs" if you have too many, you need to scroll to get to the right one. It's not a big deal, but I didn't realize that I had to drag the menu up to make it go down...just was a bit confusing. I get that it works like a roll-a-dex where you move it up to flip down, but It seems more logical to make it work like a menu bar.

till

Re: Editor feedback

Post by till » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:40 am

RoboticEFX wrote:I just have some feedback on using the editor. These aren't huge issues or anything, but just some stuff that I noticed.

-Can't use asterisk saving patch names. It's not a big deal, but I usually tag the beginning of my patches with an asterisk to identify certain ones. It probably seems like a hilarious thing to mention, but I was curious about it.
No problem like this here on my Mac version. You are using the Windows version, right?
-Can't hold down backspace to quickly delete a patch name, and can't hold down the arrow key to quickly move back and forth in the patch name.
I can use both without a problem on the Mac version.
-Can't use the mouse to click in the middle of a patch name. It always goes straight to the end.
Same here.
-Scrolling the menu bar up, makes it go down, and down makes it go up. Also, the mouse wheel doesn't work to make it go up/down. For example, if you have multiple MIDI interfaces active. Opening the editor, opening "under the hood", and looking down at "outputs" if you have too many, you need to scroll to get to the right one. It's not a big deal, but I didn't realize that I had to drag the menu up to make it go down...just was a bit confusing. I get that it works like a roll-a-dex where you move it up to flip down, but It seems more logical to make it work like a menu bar.
On the Mac OS this was changed recently in the defaults to work this way. So this is nothing problematic here. Actually it feels just right for the Mac GUI. But I imagine the confusion if you are not used to it. So it should work like in the OS preferred way.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

andrzejmikosz

Re: Latest, Greatest Minitaur Editor - Get It Here

Post by andrzejmikosz » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:22 am

Will the Minitaur Editor work on 10.5.8 ? This actual version doesn't work.

BezO

Post by BezO » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:14 am

The problems mentioned in this thread seem to be closest to mine, so a few questions...

-I will just download the firmware update posted in this thread when I get home, but are firmware updates usually available under: Support/Downloads? I didn't see any Minitaur firmware updates listed there.

-Is the firmware update compatible with OS 10.6.8?

-Maybe a coincidence, but my USB/editor stopped working as soon as I plugged my MIDI cable in and played some notes. Should the firmware update address this? Is it possibe to have USB & MIDI cable working at the same time?

-My Minitaur stopped making noise on a few occasions. I had to fiddle knobs to get it working again. Is this a firmware issue or might my Minitaur be defective?

-Typically, MIDI instrument icons in my Audio MIDI Set(AMS) up in Pro Tools show channels 1-16 and allow you to activate/deactivate them. The Minitaur icon that showed up in my AMS had no MIDI channel options. Is this normal, maybe because there's only 1 channel or should the firmware update address this?
Moog Minitaur
iMac 3.6GHz 8-Core i9, 64GB RAM, OS 10.14.6

till

Post by till » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:38 am

Just a short info:
the Minitaur Editor does work fine here under Mac OS X 10.8
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Richard J

Post by Richard J » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:56 pm

Look great and, so far, all seems to working well :-)

R

BezO

Post by BezO » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:53 am

How do I control the Minitaur with my MIDI controller through my MIDI interface? I can't connect the virtual output of my MOTU Express XT to the virtual input of the Minitaur in the Audio MIDI Set Up (AMS) and thus can't control the Minitaur with my controller.

The Express XT shows up in the Under the Hood MIDI Set Up, but selecting the port(s) I want doesn't seem to change anything.

Edit: OK, I created a 2nd Minitaur in my AMS and it works. Can someone confirm that the Minituar that appears in the Audi MIDI Set Up automatically after connecting it to the CPU via USB is only for communication with the Editor? Should I not be able to use that icon for controller/interface control?

Edit #2: A 2nd virtual Minitaur in AMS doesn't seem to be the answer. Though I can control the Minitaur with my controller through my MIDI interface, I can no longer use the Editor.

Edit #3: 2 virtual Minitaurs in AMS is working now.

I still hope to hear from someone controlling the Minitaur both with the editor & a controller via MIDI interface.
Last edited by BezO on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moog Minitaur
iMac 3.6GHz 8-Core i9, 64GB RAM, OS 10.14.6

guitargod70

Post by guitargod70 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:33 pm

Does the new editor allow for switching between patches using a midi controller. I have some custom midi bass pedals that I use for performance. I have 8 program change buttons and I would like to be able to assign each button to a different patch.

If not, is this something that is coming soon?

Briman

Post by Briman » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:22 pm

Hi Amos...

Howdy. So I can't get the new Minitaur Editor's "Capture" feature to work?
This is the Editor's download file name: 1_7_2012_OSX

However... I can change the sound of my Minitaur with it...
and access the Under the Hood stuff... but it just can't "see"
the front panel Controls... which is totally weird!?

I also have the older 0.04 Editor Version...
and it can "Capture" the Minitaur's front panel settings no problem!

I'm on a Mac Pro Early 2008 running OSX 10.6.8
The Minitaur USB is plugged in directly. (no USB Hub)
My Serial is above 497... so apparently it has the latest Firmware.

Any ideas? Many thanks.

btw: Still wondering if you are getting closer to the Firmware Revision for it...
that will allow us Users to save their "Under the Hood" settings Inside the Minitaur...
without the Editor hooked up? This being for the Live Stage environment!

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:06 am

Is the release version compatible with mac os 10.5.8?
Can't see a compatibility chart...
Thanks
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:42 am

If 10.5.8 is Snow Leopard then yes. Works for me.

I wont' run Lion and forget about Mountain Lion (too many apps and things setup just perfectly at the moment!)
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:16 am

EMwhite wrote:If 10.5.8 is Snow Leopard then yes. Works for me.

I wont' run Lion and forget about Mountain Lion (too many apps and things setup just perfectly at the moment!)
10.5.8 is leopard
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

fndrblndr

Post by fndrblndr » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:45 am

I have not been able to get the editor to work on OSX 10.5.8, it crashes everytime try to open the program. Also, I cannot get it to work on XP, going to try it with Win7 32 bit this afternoon.

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:51 pm

Yeah same here, it wont even open on 10.5.8. To me this really needs sorting as 10.5.8. isnt that old and all other plugins and software works on 10.5.8 that i use. Do i really have to upgrade my whole Mac OS just to use the Minitaur editor? Come on Moog software peeps, make it work on 10.5.8, surely this can be done?

Thanks!

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:08 am

Slightly off topic but it amazes me, just how much changes between Mac OS releases (or possibly some toolkit that is being used to leverage OS services from the Minitaur editor) when it comes to class compliant devices and 'simple' Midi over USB communication.

I have a Universal Audio UAD II system in my MacPro, a Saffire Pro 24 Firewire based interface, a MOTU Timepiece USB, NI Mashine which allow for editing/tweaking of the UAD from directly within the control surface, AND the SonicProjects OP-X Oberheim VST which is running within WINE using WINEASIO that I tweaked to perform perfectly (OP-X is PC/Windows only). It's a balancing act like no other... (oh and the Minitaur editor, at least the version I have and the firmware I have within the Minitaur are all good).

Which supports my comment above that I will NOT move off of the version of Snow Leopard that I have. Sure, I'll update my MacAir with the newer Mac OSes but my unsolicted advice to everybody is to stand on the config that you finally get working. Lion was reportedly horrible on many levels. This stuff is [apparently] tricky!
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!