Minitaur + External Audio Source

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
pspells

Minitaur + External Audio Source

Post by pspells » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:57 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any success with running an external audio source through the Minitaur.

I'm new to analogue synthesizers and the manual says that in order to do this you need to "apply +5V
to the GATE jack" and I have no idea what this means.

Does it mean that i need to get a Gate pedal and connect the keyboard to the Minitaur through it?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

o.

SteveD

Re: Minitaur + External Audio Source

Post by SteveD » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:03 am

Hello -

Take a look at the signal diagram of the Minitaur on p. 8 of the user's guide
http://www.moogmusic.com/sites/default ... NUAL_0.pdf

The Audio Input is summed with the VCOs in the Mixer, then routed to the Filter then to the VCA then output.

The VCA level is controlled by the Volume Envelope Generator. So you need a MIDI Note or Gate signal to trigger the Envelope Generator. You also need to make sure the cutoff isn't set to minimum or no signal will pass.

If you're new to CVs then just use your MIDI controller to send and hold a note. You can also set up a pattern of notes in a sequencer that can gate the external audio input.

Hope this helps!
SD

pspells

Re: Minitaur + External Audio Source -- solved

Post by pspells » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:32 am

I just wanted to post the solution that Moog tech support proposed for the external audio source sans MIDI signal predicament I encountered.

If you want to run external audio source through the Minitaur, and can't send a note-on MIDI message, you can make a battery operated CV device that keeps the gate open and allows you to run any audio signal through it:

From Moog tech support:

"In a pinch, you can create a battery operated device that will work. Basically, you will need a small 9V battery case and a 1/4" TS plug. Connect the positive terminal to the tip of the plug and the negative terminal to the sleeve. This should keep the gate open as long as it is plugged in and the battery is charged. If you turn down the VCOs, you should now be able to run audio through the unit and shape it with the filter."

I tried it yesterday and it works great! I ended up adding a 5W 390 Ohm resistor (connecting from the positive lead) because otherwise the battery gets extremely hot.

(i've included a picture in case anyone with even less knowledge of electronics than me wants to make one)
Attachments
minitaur.JPG

hogo

Post by hogo » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:14 am

Will the ep-2 pedal open the gate for this application?

pspells

Post by pspells » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:17 am

From what I understand there are only two options for opening the Gate when using an audio-in, either using a modular synth that has a CV output, or connecting a gate control device (such as the one above) that sends a +5V signal. From Moog tech support:

"Basically, the oscillators are constantly droning, but you cannot hear them because the gate stays closed. Once you send a MIDI Note On message or Gate CV signal, the gate opens and "lets the sound out".

This Gate signal is a +5V DC voltage applied at the tip of a 1/4" cable in the Gate jack. Sadly, this type of control is usually only present on modular-style synths or other CV gear. We do not sell a stand-alone gate control device here at Moog, but I'm sure there are such devices available on the market."

I don't think that an expression pedal would work for this because it doesn't send any voltage into the jack you connect it to.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:31 am

Maybe when full toe'd.
Otherwise footswitch can help.

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:38 am

hogo wrote:Will the ep-2 pedal open the gate for this application?
Not on the Minitaur because the Minitaur does not supply +5V to the Ring contact of the footswitch (as the LP does, for example). This means the voltage to the gate jack has to come from outside the synth.

hogo

Post by hogo » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:26 am

Ahh cool, I suppose I'll use the "taped down keyboard key" method used on YouTube I think :)

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:34 am

hogo wrote:Ahh cool, I suppose I'll use the "taped down keyboard key" method used on YouTube I think :)
A battery with a resistor will work, as well. This stuff isn't rocket science. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

hogo

Post by hogo » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:58 am

I also discovered that several of my iPad apps can do this via my Alesis io dock.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:15 pm

hogo wrote:I suppose I'll use the "taped down keyboard key" method...
Hi hogo,

The easiest way to get a MIDI "Stuck Note" is to simply connect
a MIDI cable and press a note. Then, while still holding the note,
pull the MIDI cable out. Now, release the note and put the MIDI
cable back in.

As long as you don't restrike that particular note the Gate will be
locked open until you power cycle the Minitaur or (perhaps) send
it an All-Notes-Off command (Panic).

After replacing the MIDI cable, you can even send other MIDI
messages and it won't affect the Stuck Note. I was even able to
do this and have a USB connection as well.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

johnson33445

Post by johnson33445 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:56 am

Yes. Read in the manual that the gain goes up to 200%! Interesting.