Minitaur - Duophonic Mode?

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
moognase

Minitaur - Duophonic Mode?

Post by moognase » Sat May 12, 2012 2:07 pm

While experimenting a bit on the Minitaur, I noticed that there seems to be a duophonic mode above the hightest octave of the normal range.

When VCO 2 Frequency is turned all the way down and the Mix (Volume) of both VCO's are up, you achieve this effect. VCO 1 acts as a drone.

Demonstration (not a musical statement - just to demonstrate how this sounds):

http://soundcloud.com/moognase/duophonic-demo

I am using a Yamaha DX100 as a controller.

I like this, especially for bagpipe sounds or other drone music. Is this intentional? Could a duophonic mode be implemented for a wider range?

EMwhite

Re: Minitaur - Duophonic Mode?

Post by EMwhite » Sat May 12, 2012 6:26 pm

I wouldn't say it was intentional, but Moog didn't go out of their way to prevent it from happening.

Has to do with the upper range of the OSCs. And when they are detuned a full octave (at most) apart, or some small amount, it's inevitable that one will hit the upper range before the other. Most/many synths go so high or so low that you don't even want to play them there but Minitaur, sweet spot being Bass runs out 1/2 way up the keyboard.

A feature request comes to mind and I know that Steve and Amos are listening...: How about a CC to enable 'detached' model that will drop one of the OSCs from tracking the keyboard for droning anywhere? How about 0=disabled, and x=note number?

But I wanted to say that I liked yours alot, Bagpipe sounding indeed. Especially like that the legato playing highlights the varied beating of the OSCs (something you wouldn't necessarily notice as they would be linear otherwise.

Here is something that I did a long while ago: it's shite playing but there is a better description of this 'feature' http://soundcloud.com/emwhite/minitaur- ... val-pseudo
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

mooginnashville

Re: Minitaur - Duophonic Mode?

Post by mooginnashville » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:45 pm

Just ran across this thread. I know the Minitaur has been around for a while but I'd LOVE the ability to configure one of the VCOs to free tune without tracking the keyboard. This would enable you to play the VCF while self resonating with keyboard tracking , and feed the now droning VCO into the resonating filter for Underworld "Rez" type sounds.