stamm

Re: Minitaur Rack Mount

Post by stamm » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:19 pm

You can preorder now at Full Compass:

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/432297.html

acatcalledanarchy

Post by acatcalledanarchy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:51 am

I'm curious - rather I suspect you're going to have to have 1U space above the rackmount kit in order to plug in the necessary cabling, would anyone at Moog be able to confirm this..?
A Cat Called Anarchy

Voyager Select Series Whitewash Electric Blue, Little Phatty Stage II, Minitaur

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:43 pm

I'm a bit disappointed by this but I suppose I understand the difficulty in offering all of the variations that folks would require; Moog didn't have much of a choice in the matter; there's not much of a value-add in rack kits so it's farming out the work to a fabrication shop.

I would have much rather preferred a system to mount Minitaur alongside a VX-351 or CP-251 but I know from experience that the profile of Minitaur is just outside of the width that would comfortably fit without a well machined end cheek that could a) bolt up to Minitaur, b) mate to the inside of a VX/CP, and c) be thin enough to fit the profile. {when I get some time, I'll take a pic of my DIY solution to this matter; I think many of you will get a laugh out of it}.

My other suggestion would have been for Moog to have leveraged some of the real estate on the right blank panel to allow for a series of Jacks, patchbay style, for CV Vol, Filter, Freq, Gate, audio Input, and headphone (customer supply their own 1' cables). Tightly packing a Minitaur between other modules is going to make it difficult to get into/out of and heck, they have the space here. My solution to this was to leverage a STG 'Imagine' panel which is alongside some MOTM modules.

But the summary of the idea would have been to leverage 6 jacks, side by side, patch bay style, provided an 1/8" wire for the headphone cable and included an adhesive backed lexan decal that the owner could affix if wanting to use the jacks for this purpose, or maybe even a blank that could be written on if wanting to use it for some other purpose.

Of course that would increase the $55 cost to something that is way too high for all but the most discerning rack space connoisseur : )

It's a matter of units sold (and potential market) and cost to produce, package, support and ship, but at least there is a rack option now.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

sp00ge

Post by sp00ge » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:07 pm

How soon until the Minitaur rack is actually shipping, from either retailers or moog direct? Need one ASAP.

unitard

Post by unitard » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:49 pm

I received my Minitaur Rack Mount last week. I purchased it from Moog and it works as advertised.

Be aware that there's not much clearance for the cables above the unit. I have my Minitaur between other rack devices and I chose the flat mount. I needed to use right-angled cables so the cables would fit nicely. Even with the Minitaur Rack angled mount option, I needed right-angled cables. In a nutshell, its a tight fit for NORMAL cables unless you put the Minitaur in the top rack space.
Moog Voyager RME, Moog Minitaur, Roland TB-303, Roland TR-606, Roland SH-1, Vermona Kick Lancet, Korg Monotribe, Ensoniq SQ-80, Mac Pro, Cubase 6.5, MOTU Micro lite, MOTU UltraLite-mk3

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:27 pm

They could have done much better with this rack adapter. For what it is, it really takes up too much space and doesn't look like it leaves any room for a future product. The only advantage is if you want to drill out something for your favorite small stompbox perhaps.

I like the logo though.

I'd really like to know why the MoogerFooger rack shelves doubled in price! I bought a used one off of ebay recently for the price it originally sold for. It's not worth a hundred bucks to rack a fooger. Even the VX/CP rack kits doubled and it's half the metal involved! I can only assume that it is to make up for the customers who aren't buying them, or if their manufacturer jacked their price up.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:55 pm

EricK wrote: I can only assume that it is to make up for the customers who aren't buying them, or if their manufacturer jacked their price up.
The cost of metal went up again.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:29 pm

Voltor07 wrote:
EricK wrote: I can only assume that it is to make up for the customers who aren't buying them, or if their manufacturer jacked their price up.
The cost of metal went up again.
Why would the VX shelf cost the same as the MF shelf is there's roughly half the metal involved?

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:41 pm

EricK wrote: Why would the VX shelf cost the same as the MF shelf is there's roughly half the metal involved?
Dunno, that IS odd. :?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:59 pm

Isn't the VX shelf supposed to come with a wire lead, and wooden block? Surely that would add to the cost. Otherwise, the metal is cheap. The cost is variable from a fabrication perspective (how many steps, bends, surfaces that require stamped holes) and fixed cost the paint and shipping.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:07 pm

THat tiny wire couldn't cost THAT much, could it? It's been so long since I ordered mine I totally forgot about that check block factoring in. I still don't see it doubling the cost though. Anyway, at least I got my second shelf used for normal price, and it's not slightly bent like my first one is.

MirrorMind1968

Post by MirrorMind1968 » Mon May 10, 2021 7:21 am

Here is my home-made rack for Minitaur and CP251 side-by-side.
I used the 2xCP251 rack mount, and a angle grinder. Some of the CP251 wood end is removed, and the left screws in the Mini is mounted through the side of the rackmount.
Attachments
Moog-rack.jpg

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Wed May 12, 2021 11:56 am

Nice job!!

Do you need to remove the Fooger bottoms, or do they attach to the plate without removal?

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu May 13, 2021 4:47 pm

ummagumma wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:56 am Nice job!!

Do you need to remove the Fooger bottoms, or do they attach to the plate without removal?
I just took off the feet when I had my Foogers rackmounted. I ended up selling them, as they weren't seeing much use, and I needed the rackspace for an amplifier.