Thoughts on the official Minitaur Editor

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
User avatar
muksys
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:05 am
Contact:

Thoughts on the official Minitaur Editor

Post by muksys » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:58 pm

Been playing around with it a bit today. Little bugs here and there (VCA knob does not reflect to changes at MT, saving presets is a little tricky, random button does nothing, etc) but overall it's pretty kickass. The only thing I'm not 100% on is all settings and presets are on seperate pages. I would like to, at least, have the settings (just parameter, not necessarily MIDI IN & OUT settings) displayed on the same page as the Main Editor. It is a bit cumbersome switching between settings and the main page when tweaking.

Anyone else had a chance to check it out? Thoughts or comments?

EMwhite
Posts: 1650
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:22 pm
Location: Middlesex

Re: Thoughts on the official Minitaur Editor

Post by EMwhite » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:37 pm

muksys wrote:Been playing around with it a bit today. Little bugs here and there (VCA knob does not reflect to changes at MT
I think that the hardware pot is tied directly and CC# 7 only adjusts relative volume up to the max set at the physical knob.

(not sure if that was you observation)
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

EMwhite
Posts: 1650
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:22 pm
Location: Middlesex

Re: Thoughts on the official Minitaur Editor

Post by EMwhite » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:44 pm

Oh, otherwise I think this is going to be awesome. From where I'm sitting, Minitaur has been very well received but based on looks, folks expect it to be 'just' hardware (very appealing for some) The other half of the world is going to be thrilled once they see that you can manage presets and control some of the 'hidden' midi parameters that seem more like Easter Eggs and otherwise inaccessible if the user is not equipped with a flexible controller and the skills to build up a usable template.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

User avatar
muksys
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:05 am
Contact:

Re: Thoughts on the official Minitaur Editor

Post by muksys » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:07 pm

EMwhite wrote:
muksys wrote:Been playing around with it a bit today. Little bugs here and there (VCA knob does not reflect to changes at MT
I think that the hardware pot is tied directly and CC# 7 only adjusts relative volume up to the max set at the physical knob.

(not sure if that was you observation)
ah, yeah, that makes sense.

User avatar
muksys
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:05 am
Contact:

Re: Thoughts on the official Minitaur Editor

Post by muksys » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:12 pm

EMwhite wrote:Oh, otherwise I think this is going to be awesome. From where I'm sitting, Minitaur has been very well received but based on looks, folks expect it to be 'just' hardware (very appealing for some) The other half of the world is going to be thrilled once they see that you can manage presets and control some of the 'hidden' midi parameters that seem more like Easter Eggs and otherwise inaccessible if the user is not equipped with a flexible controller and the skills to build up a usable template.
Absoluetly. It did seem at first, a lot of people scoffed at it for it's lack of on board preset management. I was definitely part of the smaller percentage that was thrilled to see a Moog synth remeniscent of their roots. But, with the Editor, I think a lot more people are going to gravitate to it. I hope so anyway, for Moog's sake. It really is an amazing sounding synth :D

Amos
Posts: 2438
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Thoughts on the official Minitaur Editor

Post by Amos » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:11 pm

Editor's still in beta; we're making improvements to it now.

I agree it would be good to have all the synth parameters on one page but I thought it would be too large...
the Mac version at least has hotkeys for the different pages (command-0, command-1, command-2); I presume the Windows version will have this as well.
In that case if you have a lot of monitor space you can put the different Editor pages side by side. I'm not sure if the Windows version will support multiple floating windows; possibly not though. We will see.

Thanks for the feedback!

User avatar
muksys
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:05 am
Contact:

Re: Thoughts on the official Minitaur Editor

Post by muksys » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:01 pm

Amos wrote:Editor's still in beta; we're making improvements to it now.

I agree it would be good to have all the synth parameters on one page but I thought it would be too large...
the Mac version at least has hotkeys for the different pages (command-0, command-1, command-2); I presume the Windows version will have this as well.
In that case if you have a lot of monitor space you can put the different Editor pages side by side. I'm not sure if the Windows version will support multiple floating windows; possibly not though. We will see.

Thanks for the feedback!
Thanks for the reply, Amos.

Yeah, I figured the official release will be better/different than the beta version. I believe Windows can support multiple floating windows. If I'm not mistaken, this is how [url=http://www.gimp.org/]Gimp[/gimp] works. Maybe have the main editor window strictly for parameter controls (MT front & MIDI only commands) and have separate tabs for presets & MIDI setup. Also a scaling option to increase or decrease the overall size of the Editor to fit smaller resolution monitors.

Just my 2cents :)

noisemaker
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Thoughts on the official Minitaur Editor

Post by noisemaker » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:14 am

How did you guys get the Editor? I have already registered and need to use MIDI cc to control the Osc Phase.

User avatar
muksys
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:05 am
Contact:

Re: Thoughts on the official Minitaur Editor

Post by muksys » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:12 am

noisemaker wrote:How did you guys get the Editor? I have already registered and need to use MIDI cc to control the Osc Phase.
I emailed Tech Support requesting the link to the editor. (check your messages :))

soundsubs
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:17 pm

Re: Thoughts on the official Minitaur Editor

Post by soundsubs » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:55 pm

i (accidentally) noted that you can stretch the editor to almost full screen! LOVE THAT!

..but once its stretched, the buttons no longer function.

CTRLSHFT
Posts: 986
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:24 pm
Location: boulder, co
Contact:

Re: Thoughts on the official Minitaur Editor

Post by CTRLSHFT » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:27 pm

Anybody know where we can download the editor without having to wait for support to get around to replying? The registration site is broken (won't accept minitaur serial) and my request for support assistance has gone unanswered for a week.

I don't really understand what the purpose of putting it under lock and key is...?

Sidenote, I noticed someone was able to successfully register by removing some of the excess characters but I'm not getting any getting with various permutations of MT00107/00107/107/MT107 etc. HALP :(
www.ctrlshft.com

Amos
Posts: 2438
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Thoughts on the official Minitaur Editor

Post by Amos » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:10 am

just email me, amos at moogmusic dot etc... i have the latest betas.
the reason to keep it under lock and key is to get everyone to register
which is somewhat undermined by having a dodgy non-working registration server... what's up with that?
I'll look into it...

CTRLSHFT
Posts: 986
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:24 pm
Location: boulder, co
Contact:

Re: Thoughts on the official Minitaur Editor

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:22 am

Amos wrote:just email me, amos at moogmusic dot etc... i have the latest betas.
the reason to keep it under lock and key is to get everyone to register
which is somewhat undermined by having a dodgy non-working registration server... what's up with that?
I'll look into it...
Thanks! Yeah for sec I was wondering if Nova sold me a returned one as new or something, but this sounds server-y and Nova doesn't roll like that. I'm blaming retrograde.

Also, if you need any specifics regarding the error, it just says "Please check the accuracy of your serial number" no matter what you enter/permutations of your serial you try.

Mine is MT00107, I wonder if the zeros in it are throwing some sort of exception.
Last edited by CTRLSHFT on Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.ctrlshft.com

Bonefish67
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:01 pm

Re: Thoughts on the official Minitaur Editor

Post by Bonefish67 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:26 am

Hello Amos, I am also having an issue with not seeing the editor on the DL page even though my MT shows as registered. I sent you an email with the details.
Thanks
Mike

SSquirrel
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:48 am

Re: Thoughts on the official Minitaur Editor

Post by SSquirrel » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:18 am

That's weird. Last night I was able to setup an account and register both my new Minitaur (#123)and the Freqbox (#3550) I bought second hand on Ebay.

Post Reply