MP-201 --> Boss DD-7

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
HB3

MP-201 --> Boss DD-7

Post by HB3 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:08 pm

Just curious if anything horrible will happen if I plug the mp-201 into the expression jack of a boss dd-7...they say to only use a roland ev-5 ;)

_DemonDan_

Re: MP-201 --> Boss DD-7

Post by _DemonDan_ » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:56 pm

HB3 wrote:Just curious if anything horrible will happen if I plug the
mp-201 into the expression jack of a boss dd-7.
Hi HB3,

I tend to be a little more fearless with my toys as I have friends at
work who know how to fix them, so please take that into consideration.

But, so far, I have never broken any pedal that had a TRS jack by feeding
it +5v. If it's nearby, I often go through an attenuator on my CP-251 and
slowly increase the depth while listening for when the full range of the
parameter has been maxed.

You could also try a volt-ohm meter to see what voltage is being supplied
to the jack. If it's +5v or greater... {insert standard denials of liability here.}
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

HB3

Post by HB3 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:25 pm

You know, I was gonna email Boss' tech support, but good Christ, they make you go through this horrible registration process even to email them....

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:25 am

There is a chance that something horrible could happen. That's as much as I have found out about the whole thing. The problem is that not every company does an expressions pedal jack the same way. Most are synth friendly, however not all. I'm guessing that BOSS is a synth friendly company.

I have always used an attenuator to keep the voltage low when applying it to a pedal in the unknown. In every case I have found the limit of the pedal by patiently adjusting the max / min voltage. Some have done nothing at all, and some respond exactly as planned. Some have lower voltage maximums, and some higher.

If you have an attenuator like the CP-251 try it... You're going to fry the DD-7 if anything does go "wrong", your MOOG gear will be fine. I suspect that you should be fine though, just use the attenuator to find the limits.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

HB3

Post by HB3 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:18 am

Lol! Look at this!

Hello Hugh,

Unfortunately, there is no voltage spec published by Roland Japan for the DD-7. To avoid malfunction and possible damage, we can only recommend you use the BOSS EV-5 or FV-500 pedals.

Sincerely,
Roland US Product Support