MP 201 LFO sync to Tap Tempo of MF 105B issues

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
Han Solo

MP 201 LFO sync to Tap Tempo of MF 105B issues

Post by Han Solo » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:14 am

I've been noticing some less than regular results from trying to set the tempo via LFO to the Tap Tempo input of my Bass MurF. Is the Tap Tempo jack designed to respond to the LFO from the mp 201? Also, is there a way to tweak the LFO so that it communicates better with the Bass MurF?

Furthermore, will the Bass MurF always require three tempo pulses before it changes or is it able to adjust with every beat from the LFO?

Cheers

SteveD

Re: MP 201 LFO sync to Tap Tempo of MF 105B issues

Post by SteveD » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:22 am

Hi Han -

How's Chewbacca?

Say - it was a feature of the original murfs that the Tap/Step function had two purposes. The tip connection of this jack is the tap tempo input, while the ring connection of this jack is the Step input. Gate signals received on the Ring stop the internal clock and each gate advances the MuRF's pattern by one. There are two advantages to this:

1) You can sync w/o 3 pulses to get the tap tempo set
2) You can advance the pattern with an arbitrary amount of time between steps - so you can make your own rhythmic variations on a pattern.

We came up with this accessory to address the ring connection of the jack:
http://www.moogmusic.com/moogerfooger/? ... ack_id=117
But you can use a regular insert cable (Send/receive TRS 1/4" Male Y to two 1/4" TS Male). The stereo plug goes into the tap/step input of the murf and the plug that connects to the ring goes to the MP-201. You may get better results if you ground the tip of the plug that is left flopping around - as that connection is floating if it is not grounded (not dangerous but possibly unpredictable).

Anyhow - hope that helps... Originally this feature didn't make it into the manual, I think the MIDI muRF manual explains it well...

SD

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:24 am

Very cool, indeed. I can use this with the trigger interface of a sequencer to add control of the Murf while still using 3rd row timing of the sequencer.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Han Solo

Post by Han Solo » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:06 am

cheers SteveD.

so in the setup you've described, will the standard triangle LFO suffice, with all its default values?

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:50 am

Hi -
Square waves are generally used for most timing applications, because they have sharp rising and falling edges. I'd try that first...

Good Luck!

SD