mp 201 and phaser rate

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
Han Solo

mp 201 and phaser rate

Post by Han Solo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:39 pm

So far all I can do is program an LFO to rise and fall in time with either tap tempo or midi clock. The effect this has is to increase and decrease the rate of my phaser, as opposed to having it maintain a steady tempo. What I would like to do is have the high and low sweeping in time with the beat as opposed to speeding up and slowing down with the beat, e.g sweeping from low to high across two bars, then high to low across two bars etc..

Is this possible to achieve by syncing, or is this sort of function only done by touch?

or, is their a way to measure control voltage relative to tempo, relative to the rate knob of a 12 -stage phaser?

DontBelievetheHype

Re: mp 201 and phaser rate

Post by DontBelievetheHype » Sat May 01, 2010 8:33 am

It sounds like you have the MP201's LFO patched into the "Rate" input of the Phaser.

If you want to use a MIDI synced LFO from the MP201 to sweep the Phaser, you must patch the MP201 into the "Sweep" input of the Phaser (which will disable the internal LFO and LFO rate knob). If MIDI synced, the rate will then be controlled ultimately by the master clock, and it can be subdivided by the MP201 from 1/32 up to 8 bars; If you choose '2' you'll get the 1-cycle-every-2bars you're looking for.(I think you had that part already, just got thrown off by the 'Rate' input) For an extra smooth phaser sweep, choose the triangle wave and turn the Lag Processor On with mild settings to smooth out the waveform into a sine wave... or you can make it lopsided with differing rise and fall times, or whatever, go nuts! :p)

The 'Sweep' input is on the top row of the Phasers CV inputs. On the bottom row, there is also another input labeled "Sweep In"; when the Phaser is set to '12 stage', this 'Sweep In' input is used to control 6 stages (half) of the phaser independently, so you can do 'Bi-phasing' with two independent LFOs, one for each 6 stages. With an LFO plugged into the 'Sweep In', the Phasers onboard LFO controls sweep 6 stages, and the external LFO sweeps the other 6 stages. You can also use an LFOs plugged into both the 'Sweep' and 'Sweep In' inputs, and do all the Bi-phasing with the MP201;*edit* I can't remember if the phasers onboard LFO controls are disabled when the Sweep inputs are used- if they are not, then you can set them to 0 and control everything with the MP201, or use them to mangle the MP201's synced LFOs.

The CP251 is a great tool for bi-phasing as well, with the ability to multiply LFO's, shape them and/or attenuate/boost them a bit, invert them, etc.. and this can be done with the CP251' built in LFO's, or a nice way of expanding a single MIDI synced CV output from the MP201 8)
Synth bass guitar rig including MS-20 filter clone, Paradox TZF, MF101, 102, 103, 107(x2), CP-251 and MP-201

Han Solo

Re: mp 201 and phaser rate

Post by Han Solo » Sun May 02, 2010 7:31 am

Excellent. The missing piece was not knowing that a CV input for the sweep jack disabled the internal LFO. And you answered another one of my questions as well with regard to creating a sine wave out of a triangle wave. Up till now I thought it was odd that all the waveforms offered had sharp edges.

Cheers for your help.