MP-201 Exp Pedal & "Active Ignore"

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
turunturun

MP-201 Exp Pedal & "Active Ignore"

Post by turunturun » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:24 pm

So I am the proud new owner of an MP-201 (v2 firmware update), and will shortly be creating LFO'd sonic mayhem with my bitcrusher and modfactor. And after explaining the MP-201's "raison d'être" to my wife (fellow musician and producer), a Little Phatty has suddenly popped up on her must have list, as her Trillian samples are good, but..... well that's a different post....

I have scoured the manual & forums and can't seem to find this specific question answered anywhere (so forgive if I overlooked). My aim is this:

I would like to have the expression pedal (footpedal) of the MP-201 affect certain active Channels, but not other active Channels.

For instance, here is a desired scenario:
Channel 1 is active and set to CV Out, LFO, ramp down saw, controlling bitcrusher sample rate (now THAT sounds nice through a delay), with a narrow and specific CV voltage amount and offset to dial in a particular bitcrush tone.

Channel 2 is active and set to use Expression pedal position to send CV Out, Expression, across a certain voltage range.

My only options under a Channel's Expression pedal control options are "Amount, Rate, Offset, ".....there is no "Off". So whenever I move the expression pedal, it WILL affect one of those parameters on ALL active channels, including the LFO on Channel 1. Which I don't want it to do.

So the workaround I am using is to set the Expression pedal for Channel 1 to control Amount, dial in the heel and toe position to be the same, and to set the volts value to be the same as the Amount set for the LFO.
Is this the only option to get the expression pedal to essentially be "ignored" by an active LFO generating Channel?

If so no big deal - it works (I think), but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Thanks!!!

DontBelievetheHype

Re: MP-201 Exp Pedal & "Active Ignore"

Post by DontBelievetheHype » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:05 am

You got it- there is no off for the treadle, and your workaround is correct.
Synth bass guitar rig including MS-20 filter clone, Paradox TZF, MF101, 102, 103, 107(x2), CP-251 and MP-201

Amos

Post by Amos » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:49 pm

There is a second workaround for LFO channels - actually it's not a workaround, it's the method I had in mind for this situation.
On the LFO channel, set LFO Off Mode to "Continuous." This mode means that you can turn the channel "off" and the LFO output will continue unchanged. The only thing that's "off" in this case is the effect of the treadle on the LFO parameters.

See if that works for you as well...

-Amos

DontBelievetheHype

Post by DontBelievetheHype » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:14 pm

Amos wrote:There is a second workaround for LFO channels - actually it's not a workaround, it's the method I had in mind for this situation.
On the LFO channel, set LFO Off Mode to "Continuous." This mode means that you can turn the channel "off" and the LFO output will continue unchanged. The only thing that's "off" in this case is the effect of the treadle on the LFO parameters.

See if that works for you as well...

-Amos
Yep that method works well, but I think that if you truly want the treadle to be 'Off' so that it will not affect any parameters whether a channel is active or not, then you must do the 'workaround' to prevent any accidental parameter changes; this is what I've found to be the case at least :)
Synth bass guitar rig including MS-20 filter clone, Paradox TZF, MF101, 102, 103, 107(x2), CP-251 and MP-201

turunturun

Post by turunturun » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:20 pm

Thanks for the answers everyone -
Had a chance to really dig into the pedalboard+MP-201 this weekend, and really got some great things happening with all the control possibilities.

It is truly a thing of joy to be able to get an "auto-organic" morphing sound out of analog pedals without having to go the rack gear effect, through judicious use of the LFO outs.

Great job on the MP-201 to the Moog Gang - it hits the spot like none other!!! Can't wait to use this thing with a little phatty and some foogers!!!