MP-201 High Pitched Whine

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
Proton Lenny

MP-201 High Pitched Whine

Post by Proton Lenny » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:03 am

I was just curious if anyone else experienced a high pitched whine when plugging there MP-201 into something via CV. I just got the MP-201 and it is incredible except for this damned whine. I have a MS-20 LPF clone, and the MP-201 causes a nasty high pitched whine. I know it is not my filter because it makes no noise when the MP-201 is not plugged in. In fact I don't even have to plug it in to cause the whine, I can just touch the filter's metal enclosure or jacks with a cable coming from one of the CV channels. Anyone have something similar occur. I know at least one other poster on this board has had this problem. Anyone have any suggestions for getting rid of it?

Thanks,

Proton

jeepo

Post by jeepo » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:02 pm

Disclaimer: I am not an EE and do not really know what I am talking about, but. . .

If they are not plugged into the same outlet, try that, I think you may be experiencing problems due to a voltage across ground. I had some problems with my Phatty, that turned out to be grounding issues between the synth and my PA, which were resolved after talking to Amos, and rearranging how everything was plugged in. My guess is that the MP and the filter have different ground potentials, to confirm this you could use a voltmeter and measure the voltage between the ground of the MP and that of the filter (plug a cable into each one, leaving the other side disconnected, then measure the voltage between the sleeves).
Last edited by jeepo on Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff

Proton Lenny

Post by Proton Lenny » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:21 pm

So your suggesting I have them plugged into the same outlet? I currently have them plugged into the same power strip.

DontBelievetheHype

Post by DontBelievetheHype » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:04 pm

My Lowpass filter only makes the noise when the Frequency is set to 0 so its never noticeable. My MS-20 filter clone exhibits it in the bass ranges I use it at often- with the closed filter at 50ish hz there is no noise, but as soon as I start to open it the whine comes through and is present until the filter opens past a certain point. It makes the LFO in my Ringmod audible (the pitched whine cycles with the LED anyway) when the Ringmod is bypassed, and I've noticed it on my Freqbox as well, though obviously not too bad there because I don't think I've noticed it since looking for it originally.

I didn't notice any noise with my first MP201, but when it was returned I immediately did, though I did not have the MS-20clone at the time of the first MP201 and also did not use it much with the Ringmod prior to the MP201's return, so the first one may or may not have been the same.. In some settings the whine gets lost in the mix, but not all unfortunately and therefor limits my use somewhat for recording especially. I'd love for there to be a simple answer to fix this! My MP201 and filters are currently on the same strip, and the Ringmod on a different isolated output and wall outlet... doesn't make a difference, makes the noise.

Ultimately yeah it sucks, but I deal with it. Its by far the most noticeable with my MS-20 filter clone, and some people might not ever notice it, or have it be noticeable enough to make a difference depending on their application and gear they use with it. I've never noticed any noise from the Paradox TZF or HOG for instance..
Synth bass guitar rig including MS-20 filter clone, Paradox TZF, MF101, 102, 103, 107(x2), CP-251 and MP-201

Proton Lenny

Post by Proton Lenny » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:13 am

Yeah, the noise is really annoying me, but I played with my band tonight and didn't really notice it too much. So I'm hoping that live it will go by unnoticed for the most part. The pedal is so damn cool, but like so much Moog gear it seems they just ignore these little issues (whines, hisses, bad bypasses, etc...). Too bad to. They could make great products into truly amazing ones...

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:51 pm

actually this is news. We would have never ignored an issue like this if it had been noticed, I don't think. I'll forward this thread to our engineering team and we'll look into it!

Thanks for posting,

Amos

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:38 am

any possibility either of you had USB connected to the MP-201 while experiencing this whine on the CV? Or do you get the same thing regardless of whether USB is connected or not?

We aren't getting this problem here in any of our test set-ups, so it's worth looking into whether this issue is specific to an individual MP-201, or specific to an individual person's set-up (some variable in your studio but outside the MP-201 that might cause this).

-A

DontBelievetheHype

Post by DontBelievetheHype » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:49 pm

No USB for me at least; I originally noticed the problem when using only the CV Outputs and controlling with my bass guitar (whether or not an instrument is plugged in though), and I just started using a MIDI Keyboard with it a few days ago, and now the whine actually is quite noticeable with the MoogLPF, because I'm using it as an oscillator and have the Freq set to 0... where the whine occurs, so on each note when the ringmod/VCA opens there is the high pitched whine accompanying the oscillators. If an audio clip would help, I could make a quick one-- the sound is pretty easy to hear with a sine or triangle, or clean bass guitar especially, under an unfiltered saw/sq/pulse, not so much(lost in the mix). My signal chain is usually dead quiet and the MP201 introducing the whine a constant, but it should be noted that I do not have the best wiring in my house.
Synth bass guitar rig including MS-20 filter clone, Paradox TZF, MF101, 102, 103, 107(x2), CP-251 and MP-201