Guitar Feature Request - QUAD "One Hot" Mode

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
blewis

Guitar Feature Request - QUAD "One Hot" Mode

Post by blewis » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:49 am

Well, I'm on my second approach trying to get this pedal to work for me.

Here's what I wanted to do this time around:
1) Use SGL mode as "Song" mode. Where each patch on the MP-201 represented a song for me.
2) In that song, I'd want to access up to 4 different sounds. These sounds would be implemented by sending Program Change info whenever each MP-201 channel is enabled and those Program Changes would change patches on my guitar rack.

Was hoping to use QUAD MONO mode to do this, but I've run into a small problem that destroys the whole idea.

Troubles:
- QUAD MONO mode only sends Program Change info when a channel turns on. That's expected and great.
- The Channel Enable light comes on. Great. That's expected.
- Hit the next Channel Button to turn it on, it sends the Program Change, and that Channel light turns ON.
- But now BOTH channels are ON. More importantly BOTH lights are on and I can't tell visually which patch I've asked my rack to play by looking down at the foot controller anymore.
- If I want to switch back to a previously engaged "sound" for this "song", I gotta hit that Channel and toggle if OFF, then hit it again to toggle in ON so I can send the Program Change to my rack to change the sound.

Doh! Dead in the water for this whole approach. Strike two for the MP-201 and my guitar rack.

What would "fix" it you ask? May I suggest QUAD "ONE HOT" mode.
- Only a single Channel can be turned ON at a time.
- If another Channel is enabled ON, the previous Channel that was enabled becomes disabled OFF, the light turns OFF and the recently selected Channel remains ON.

I thought this was how QUAD MONO was going to behave, but it doesn't. I clearly don't understand QUAD MONO.

So, how bout it, QUAD ONE HOT?

lordcasio

Post by lordcasio » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:15 pm

Hey there,
I'm using my MP in the same form, as a MIDI PC unit (in addition to it's other functions). I'm still setting mine up, so I can't speak from experience, BUT I believe that your issue was addressed in the V2.0 software.

quote from V2.0 addendum::
"(2) QUAD MONO/POLY - Selects how channel On/Off foot switches behave in Quad Mode. MONO = only one channel on at a time. QUAD MONO mode is great for controlling multiple effects on a guitar pedal board, switching instantly from one EXPRESSION channel to another."

Tech manuals are always a bit confusing, but I'm fairly sure that this function pertains to guys like us, trying to use the MP as a MIDI PC pedal. Just change the function from "EXPRESSION" to "PROGRAM CHANGE", right? I could be wrong. I'll try it out and get back to you...unless you wanna beat me to the punch.

::lord

blewis

Post by blewis » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:51 pm

lordcasio wrote: quote from V2.0 addendum::
"(2) QUAD MONO/POLY - Selects how channel On/Off foot switches behave in Quad Mode. MONO = only one channel on at a time. "
Hey Lord, thanks for trying to help. The quote you've put here is exactly why I thought QUAD MONO would work for me. "Only one channel on at a time" would be they key sentence.

So why do I have multiple Channel lights enabled? Am I not in QUAD MONO mode?

When you're in QUAD MONO and you have a Channel 1 ON and then you hit Channel 2, what happens to Channel 1's light for you? Does it stay on?

Just change the function from "EXPRESSION" to "PROGRAM CHANGE", right? I could be wrong. I'll try it out and get back to you...unless you wanna beat me to the punch.
The Channel Modes are GATE/EXPRESSION. Program Change isn't part of that menu, but it is an attribute of the Channel.

Well, maybe we can figure it out. It sounds like we're trying to do they same thing.

blewis

Post by blewis » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:17 pm

Well, I can get it to work how I want in Momentary mode with two exceptions:

1) The lights don't turn on to indicate what the last PC change sent was - i.e. it won't indicate what patch I selected on my guitar rig

2) Can't seem to use expression channel mode to send a PC when I enable the expression channel.

I'm about 2 night more experimenting with this thing before I sell it.

I thought having an electrical engineering degree would mean I could program this damn thing, but geesh I guess I just simply do not understand how this thing is supposed to be used. Perhaps I'm not the target audience.

lordcasio

Post by lordcasio » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:20 am

So I tried to set it up as well...but as it turns out my MP-201 and V2 software aren't jiving. Beyond that, my RG-16(MIDI controlled FX switcher) has crapped out too!

I think I had my 201 set up properly for this type function though. I set it to QUAD/MONO. Then I set the 4 channels to GATE, MOMENTARY, MIDI Output only, turned off the CC's and notes. Then I specified the PC message per Channel...but thats when I noticed everything was whacked. I reinstalled OS 1.1 and I'm shelving the project until I can get ahold of MOOG customer service.

I'm all about conserving real estate on the pedal board, but I think for the sake of ease in programing, I'm gonna get a small secondary MIDI PC pedal (like this one! http://www.peak2005.com/i/product_info. ... ucts_id/47). Maybe once MOOG comes up with a software editor, I'll use the MP-201 for utilitarian tasks like MIDI PC, but for now I think I'm gonna focus on using it to control effects parameters.

Good luck, and keep me posted if you figure out an easy way to get it to send PC's with an accurate status.

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:50 pm

I'm not handling Moog customer service any more, as I'm full time on firmware development.... but something doesn't seem right about this scenario. If Quad Mono/Poly is set to MONO, then when you are in Quad mode and you turn on Channel 2, Channel 1 should go off.

I remember now - this does not apply to GATE mode. GATE channels can always be on independently of each other.

If you're just using the channels to send MIDI patches, set the channel mode to EXPRESSION and set up your MIDI program changes per channel just like you've been doing. Just change channel mode to Expression. You should then see QUAD MONO behaving just like you'd think it would.

Sorry about the confusion with gates; it just made sense to me to do it that way, so folks could have an exclusive-on one at a time expression pedal but still be able to send one-shot triggers on a gate channel independently of which exclusive-on expression or LFO channel was selected.

Try this before you shelve the idea...

-Amos

blewis

Post by blewis » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:21 pm

Amos wrote:I'm not handling Moog customer service any more
NNOOOO!
as I'm full time on firmware development....
YES! ;-)

I've give your suggestions a shot. Thanks for the feedback! I'll post back with the results.

Brandon

blewis

Post by blewis » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:51 pm

Thanks Amos!

It worked. Setting all the channels to Expression gives me exactly what I was after and behaves as I expected Quad MONO to behave.

Thanks!

kinjo

Re: Guitar Feature Request

Post by kinjo » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:07 am

I am Having KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED problem in my Pc.

kinjo

Re: Guitar Feature Request - QUAD "One Hot" Mode

Post by kinjo » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:42 am

I found its my windows related problem

http://www.deskdecode.com/kmode-excepti ... x0000001e/

but i still get bsod within 2 hours

is that any way to fix this compelely? :(