can mp-201 control Korg cv/gate?

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
badsound

can mp-201 control Korg cv/gate?

Post by badsound » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:09 pm

just starting out with the mp-201 pedal-and the LP2 and mf105-
but I just bought a vintage minikorg 700s, and am going to have
cv/gate, etc, added to it.

I know they have different systems than moog- so I'm not really
expecting it to work, but it would beat buying another midi/cv converter !

any thoughts ?
thanks!
David
moog voyager rack-Moog Opus 3- 2 Moog delays- midi murf-eventide timefactor delay- EH 2880 looper- Mackie onyx 1640i- filter queens-casio vltones-Moog Guitar-Prophet 08-Jack Deville Dark Echo pedal---MPC5000--akai Z4--Yamaha tx16w--spx90-rev 7 --protools9

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:10 pm

The answer is "yes and no" -- the Korg MS-10 and MS-20 have an oscillator CV input which tracks 1 volt per octave, but they also have a keyboard CV input which is not 1 volt per octave, it is a linear (hz per volt) input, where 1v/octave is actually an exponential input (in terms of the frequency to voltage relationship). I don't know about your minikorg 700s, but if it only has the keyboard CV input (Hz/V), then the MP201 won't be able to get it to track.

I was not able to fit a Hz/V routine into the MP201 v2.0 firmware, although I've done a bit of work on the concept. My next priority for the MP-201 is to improve the LFO options, so it may turn out that there is never enough room in the code to add Hz/V support. If I finish the LFO section and there is any code space left, I'll try to squeeze this in.

Cheers,

Amos

alamilla

Post by alamilla » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:07 pm

+1 on this request

I have an MS-20 and would love to take the creative possibilities further
http://www.myspace.com/skipteque

badsound

Post by badsound » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:06 pm

I guess I'll check out OSC cv input-maybe the minikorg will handle that-
in addition to the normal gate/pitch stuff, apparently you can input to the "repeat" control as well.......
guess I'm looking at a midi mod, or another converter.

on another note, I am using the mp as start/stop for ableton's looper, and layering the LP2 while using mp performance mode- very nice :)
I am just scratching the surface with this !
David

Amos wrote:The answer is "yes and no" -- the Korg MS-10 and MS-20 have an oscillator CV input which tracks 1 volt per octave, but they also have a keyboard CV input which is not 1 volt per octave, it is a linear (hz per volt) input, where 1v/octave is actually an exponential input (in terms of the frequency to voltage relationship). I don't know about your minikorg 700s, but if it only has the keyboard CV input (Hz/V), then the MP201 won't be able to get it to track.

I was not able to fit a Hz/V routine into the MP201 v2.0 firmware, although I've done a bit of work on the concept. My next priority for the MP-201 is to improve the LFO options, so it may turn out that there is never enough room in the code to add Hz/V support. If I finish the LFO section and there is any code space left, I'll try to squeeze this in.

Cheers,

Amos
moog voyager rack-Moog Opus 3- 2 Moog delays- midi murf-eventide timefactor delay- EH 2880 looper- Mackie onyx 1640i- filter queens-casio vltones-Moog Guitar-Prophet 08-Jack Deville Dark Echo pedal---MPC5000--akai Z4--Yamaha tx16w--spx90-rev 7 --protools9

deklin

Re: can mp-201 control Korg cv/gate?

Post by deklin » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:59 pm

I registered just to third this update!
I have a MP201 and just got a Yamaha CS10 which operates under Hz/V and as far as I can tell it's not compatible with the MP201. I really don't want to buy another MIDI to CV converter when I already have one!
What are the odds of it being implemented in the next update or would I be better off just forking out for another converter?
fantastic product otherwise, though! :)

Amos

Re: can mp-201 control Korg cv/gate?

Post by Amos » Thu May 06, 2010 10:58 pm

ahoy there -

well I'm not sure when I'll be updating the MP201 again -- oh it will happen, but there are some other projects in the works before that day arrives. At that point, I'll see if I have room to add Hz/V pitch-CV. I would say though, that if you definitely want CV control of your Korg Hz/V machine within the year 2010, you might want to look at a dedicated Hz/V converter.