MP201 v2.0 firmware is here

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
Vitja B

Post by Vitja B » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:52 am

When I turn it on: Blank LCD and red switches or sometimes switches without light at all.

No it didnt power it up by itself! :D
Or is this another thing in new firmware? :P
MF-101,MF-102,MF-104Z,MP-201,PRS Custom24/10 top,Acoustic G100T,many more.

Sidewind

Post by Sidewind » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:49 pm

Just finished some testing for this problem:

Power cycled the unit several times. Both by leaving it off for 15-20 secs and power cycling it on/off immediately several times. I even power cycled the unit while it was still booting. Unable to get unit to fail. (come up blank)

Re-flashed firmware several times (using three different Macs) - no errors.

I only tested this with a Mac, if anyone wants me to test with a PC, let me know and I will.

It should be noted that while I do not think this is related, I always flash any USB devices directly from the USB ports on the actual computer and never through any hubs. I have a lot of different gear in my studio and have found that it is often best to use USB ports directly on the computers for flashing firmware.

I also have not found any other issues as yet with the latest firmware.

Michael...

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:50 pm

Michael: this is good news; thank you!

I also did some testing here, with many power cycles, massive MIDI data sent to MP201, many firmware updates... and no problems.

Vitja B: I'm pretty sure now that your MP-201 has a power problem; not a firmware problem. This is not great news for you and I will continue to work with you to make sure it's fixed... but it's great news for me and for all other customers, as this doesn't seem to be a firmware problem of any kind.

I did find one or two bugs in my testing :(
If you are sending crazy excesses of MIDI data (like, triggering 4 envelope generators with 16th notes at 300BPM and sending CC data also), and you try to change presets rapidly while doing all this, the unit can re-start. Temporary solution: don't be so silly as to do this, unless you are testing for failure like I was :)
Other bug: It looks like the "press on/off footswitch to disable EG triggering from MIDI notes" seems not to work. I was sure I had tested this and found it working... but at least via USB, the EG will still fire in response to MIDI notes even when it is supposed to be disabled. Perhaps some other folks can test this one also.

-Amos

Vitja B

Post by Vitja B » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:28 am

Yes that is good news!
But I dont understand that I was using it for 6 months now with no problem.
Well, some adapters are just crap!
I hope that I didnt burn something out.
I will mesure it,but not today. I have two gigs and a rehersal.
I hope to do this tomorrow.

ebo

Post by ebo » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:49 am

Hi !I tested the 2.0 version of the MP201 .I miss the portamento CC5 and CC65 in the midi to cv mode and a mapping mode to send LFO at the same channel.Another idea is to trigger the steps of the LFO with midi note. I try this with my CP251 but the output of the S&H was to low.Regards .ebo

DontBelievetheHype

Post by DontBelievetheHype » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:42 am

Vitja B wrote:When I turn it on: Blank LCD and red switches or sometimes switches without light at all.

No it didnt power it up by itself! :D
Or is this another thing in new firmware? :P
I hate to say it, but this is exactly what my MP-201 did when it died a few months back.. I had to send it in, but Moog replaced/fixed the unit.

One morning when I turned it on... nothing. Just a blank screen. Some times more red/orange lights came up that others, but always a blank screen.

Good luck to you and hoping for a speedy recovery!
Synth bass guitar rig including MS-20 filter clone, Paradox TZF, MF101, 102, 103, 107(x2), CP-251 and MP-201

Vitja B

Post by Vitja B » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:13 pm

DontBelievetheHype, do you think my MP has the same problem?
Then I should send it to moog factory...
But first I have to test the power adapter,like Amos suggested me.
I hope that it will not cost too much.
I am really broke...I just bought a Ibanez John Scofield signature 100.
And now I have few broken pices that will cost.
Damn.

mtmelvin

Post by mtmelvin » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:33 pm

UPDATE

Amos, I finally got off my ass and did a quick google search to find out where errors are logged on a Mac. So I believe I have found the error report that is the result of the incident which killed my MP-201. I will email it to you now. Hopefully this can shed some light on what happened in my case.

I hope to hear from you soon. I'm ready to order the USB debug adapter if it will help, or ship my MP-201 back to Moog if that is necessary.

Thanks.

-Mark
Moog Voyager Old School, Memorymoog, Moog Prodigy, Moog Rogue, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104z, MP-201, Arp Odyssey, DSI Prophet 08 SE, Oberheim Matrix 6R, Roland Juno 6, Crumar Orchestrator, Rhodes, Wurli, Clavinet D6, Hammond C3 w/ Leslie 122

psound74

Can't update MP201

Post by psound74 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:40 pm

Hey everybody (Amos, hope you're in here),

tried from my mac & pc to update my v1.01 MP-201 to v2 firmware w/ USB & regular MIDI.

How do I ship it to Moog/get an RA #?

Thanks,
psound74

Prime NL

Re: Can't update MP201

Post by Prime NL » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:44 pm

psound74 wrote:Hey everybody (Amos, hope you're in here),

tried from my mac & pc to update my v1.01 MP-201 to v2 firmware w/ USB & regular MIDI.

How do I ship it to Moog/get an RA #?

Thanks,
psound74
Did you follow the upgrade instructions....it never stated anything concerning the use of MIDI to upgrade it that way..?

What was your error or problem...maybe it still can be solved without sending it to the factory...?

psound74

Post by psound74 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:32 pm

I tried USB first, and neither my Mac (in Audio MIDI Setup & SysEx Utility) nor the PC (Device Manager, Sound Control Panel, PD or Cakewalk) saw that the MP-201 was even plugged in. I tried the steps as described anyway, but the MP-201 didn't even blink!

I had been a victim of the "all-white" display bug months ago, after which my USB stopped working; Amos had mentioned trying to re-load the 1.01 firmware at that time over the standard DIN MIDI ports, which didn't work.

Since firmware v2 is out, I thought USB might work; when it didn't, I tried regular MIDI in the hopes that it would work...the MP-201 didn't even blink! Now, to be fair, I hadn't used my M-Audio Uno MIDI interface for months, but it at least showed up in Device Manager & Apple MIDI Setup & it's lights flashed when sending sysex per the instructions...

I think I might be hosed...

psound74

Prime NL

Post by Prime NL » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:04 pm

So your saying that on your Mac you could not find the MP-201 in the pull-down menu in the top-right of Sysex-Librarian when it was connected...?

If the MP-201 is not recognised on whatever computer then i indeed think that the USB part is faulty.... :?

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:02 pm

best way to get an RMA number is to email [email protected] with your name, return shipping address, and Moog product serial number. Also a problem description, of course.

We'd like to get this unit back here ASAP for repair, so please email us and we'll get it started! It is clear from your description that your unit has the same problem as a couple of other folks here are reporting.

Thanks!

-Amos

psound74

Post by psound74 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:37 pm

Emailed! Thanks, Amos!

MichaelPeterTrowbridge

Re: MP201 v2.0 firmware is here

Post by MichaelPeterTrowbridge » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:05 am

Amos wrote:
Let me know what you think...

-Amos
I think that you and this wonderful company you work for deserve a great amount of praise! The sort of prosumer-mentality that you have implied in your thinking is simply overwhelming!

The CV-Lag option is going to make a lot of things possible I would have needed either several CP-251s or would have had to repatch during a song for. I thank you very much for the added value you've created with this upgrade.

You made my day!