Midi Clock and Tap Tempo

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
jufros

Midi Clock and Tap Tempo

Post by jufros » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:48 pm

It seems that in order to get subdivisions of your tap tempo rate, you need to have one channel synced to tap tempo, midi clock output slaved to tap tempo, and another channel slaved to the midi clock. The problem with this is that you can't slave the second channel to a midi clock that originates from the MP-201 (this REALLY should have been an included feature). So, I'm thinking that the only workaround solution is to use an external clock device, send the clock rate from the tap tempo channel, and then return it back to the MP-201 (this shouldn't be necessary in my opinion). Will this work the way that I want it to?

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:40 pm

You might be able to connect a MIDI cable directly from the MP201 MIDI OUT to its own MIDI IN and do this. That's OK if you don't need the DIN output for anything else (either no other MIDI in your setup, or USB MIDI)... but obviously not ideal.

I am working very hard to finish the OS 2.0 update for the MultiPedal right now. I think you'll be amazed at all the features and fixes that are included in this new version... however, clock divisions from tap tempo (or clock divisions for LFO SYNC) did not make it onto my list until now. If I am very successful with my current list, I'll try to add this now... if not, then I promise it will be added in the next update. There should be much less time waiting for this next update, also...

-Amos

tubeampguy

Post by tubeampguy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:54 am

Amos wrote:You might be able to connect a MIDI cable directly from the MP201 MIDI OUT to its own MIDI IN and do this. That's OK if you don't need the DIN output for anything else (either no other MIDI in your setup, or USB MIDI)... but obviously not ideal.

I am working very hard to finish the OS 2.0 update for the MultiPedal right now. I think you'll be amazed at all the features and fixes that are included in this new version... however, clock divisions from tap tempo (or clock divisions for LFO SYNC) did not make it onto my list until now. If I am very successful with my current list, I'll try to add this now... if not, then I promise it will be added in the next update. There should be much less time waiting for this next update, also...

-Amos
Amos, Do you know when the software update will be available?

jufros

Post by jufros » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:48 am

I assume doing that would be totally safe. That's an interesting idea that I hadn't thought of. Out of curiosity, why didn't you guys implement tap tempo subdivisions before? It seems like the whole point behind the MP-201 is to give you as much CV control at your feet as possible to maximize live performance flexibility.

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:15 pm

jufros wrote:why didn't you guys implement tap tempo subdivisions before?
Lack of time, or because we didn't think of it. Probably lack of time.
tubeampguy wrote:Amos, Do you know when the software update will be available?
As soon as I finish programming and testing.