Micromoog ribbon controller - repair / replace / DIY ?

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
jbrave

Micromoog ribbon controller - repair / replace / DIY ?

Post by jbrave » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:48 pm

Hello,

My pop recently shipped me my old Micromoog which had been sitting in the attic for 20 years. I had a friend at work fix it up - a bit of cleaning, replace some power supply capacitors, new potentiometer for the mod wheel, new wire for one of the keys. Surprisingly, even prior to the fix-up work it still played in tune with itself.

However, the pitch strip appears to have some kind of internal short and thus does not work. I want to repair it if possible, I haven't found any source for them online except for an ebay store in another country (ebay.com.sg, where is that?) and it isn't cheap.

Anyone have an idea how to fix this thing or build a new one from scratch?

- Joel

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:25 am

I would see if Joe S. of Walking Stick ribbon controllers could help you out. I have one of his works, and it is of high quality and reasonable price. Here's his post.

http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopi ... c&start=45
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

jbrave

Re: Micromoog ribbon controller - repair / replace / DIY ?

Post by jbrave » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:10 am

Just to follow up here, 6 years later, this week I:

* Took apart the moog, found the right Allen wrench to tighten up the mod wheel so it is working again
* During this process I noticed that the cable connecting the ribbon to the electronics was disconnected. I couldn't have missed that all these years, could I? Hmmm
* Reconnected, reassembled - hey, the pitch ribbon at least has an effect now - jumps a half octave when I touch it.
* Reassembled. downloaded the service manual from the web. Read the part about the pitch ribbon - there is an adjustment knob to center it. Ok.
* couldn't get at the adjustor well enough to from the oustide. Took it apart again
* noticed that one of the wires on the ribbon was broken off - probably happened while I was putting the thing back together. Ok.
* Took it apart again, resoldered all the wires, no luck, so ignored the manual's "no user serviceable parts" suggestion to not try to repair the ribbon.
* Took the ribbon apart, cleaned it, connected and tested, working! - screwed back together - not working
* Loosened up the screws a bit and now I have a working pitch ribbon again, 30 years after they day I bought it and "broke" the ribbon and pitch wheel

Yay!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:42 am

:shock: Finally got around to it? Glad it was an easy fix! This topic was started shortly after I bought my brand new Jeep Compass...It has been replaced with a brand new Wrangler Willys Wheeler as of last month. Wow, how time flies!
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

jbrave

Post by jbrave » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:07 pm

I took a soldering course a few weeks ago so I'm less lame about these things now, fixing gear left and right now!

Joel

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:50 am

Awesome! :mrgreen: