MP-201 firmware in active development! Please read

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
RAH

Post by RAH » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:17 am

It would be great to be able to program each preset to have the CV outs disabled, so those outs can be used exclusively as MIDI control outs. You can disable MIDI for each channel, but I haven't been able to do the same with CV's. This would be good because you could, for example in a live setting, have each CV wired for your Moogerfoogers and have the MIDI to your LP, but have some presets have all four channels control the LP via MIDI and other presets control 4 CV outs to your MFer, or any comibination...

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:49 pm

RAH wrote:It would be great to be able to program each preset to have the CV outs disabled, so those outs can be used exclusively as MIDI control outs. You can disable MIDI for each channel, but I haven't been able to do the same with CV's. This would be good because you could, for example in a live setting, have each CV wired for your Moogerfoogers and have the MIDI to your LP, but have some presets have all four channels control the LP via MIDI and other presets control 4 CV outs to your MFer, or any comibination...
That's a good idea. You do need to be clear about what you mean by disabled. Does that mean 0V? 5V? Something else?

RAH

Post by RAH » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:08 pm

Bryan T wrote:
RAH wrote:It would be great to be able to program each preset to have the CV outs disabled, so those outs can be used exclusively as MIDI control outs. You can disable MIDI for each channel, but I haven't been able to do the same with CV's. This would be good because you could, for example in a live setting, have each CV wired for your Moogerfoogers and have the MIDI to your LP, but have some presets have all four channels control the LP via MIDI and other presets control 4 CV outs to your MFer, or any comibination...
That's a good idea. You do need to be clear about what you mean by disabled. Does that mean 0V? 5V? Something else?
Thanks, Bryan T..

I guess what I mean is 0V, so that the pedal still affects the LP through MIDI, but doesn't affect the MFer's through the CV connections. As it is currently, you can control MIDI signals to the LP with the pedal, but not without also simultaneously sending CV outputs to the MFer. For example, what if, on say preset 41, I want to control my LP via MIDI on channels 1 and 2, Abelton Live parameters via MIDI on channels 3 and 4, but I don't want my movement on the pedal affecting the MFer simultaneously. I don't necessarily want to bend down and unplug the patch cables for that one particular song, etc..Do you know what I mean?

So I think it would be great to be able to program that preset to not send CV signals, so I guess 0V would do it.

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:37 am

Vitja B wrote:How about a software for programing MP-201.
It can be found.... but only if you look on my desk :roll:

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:33 pm

RAH - this is a very good idea, thank you! It's true, you can disable MIDI while actively tweaking CV, but there is no way to "disable" (set to 0V or anything non-changing value) while actively tweaking MIDI output on the same channel. So, it would be really helpful to have such an option.

I'll get right on it. :-)

Progress update: Just finished the MIDI MuRF firmware late last week... on Wednesday I will work with another programmer to resolve a critical bug which is holding up the MP201 firmware development process. After that critical bug is resolved, it will not be much longer until the next MP201 firmware is ready to release. :cool:

-Amos

patobrujo

Post by patobrujo » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:12 pm

:D great news... we'll be here waiting...
..::PATOBRUJO::..

RAH

Post by RAH » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:46 pm

Thanks Amos.
This pedal is great. Can't wait for the update!

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:43 am

critical bug is fixed... development is back in full swing.

Tap tempo working on all channels in all modes

"one button at a time" (Quad Mono) mode seems to be fully working

can send program changes one channel at a time now (when you turn on each channel it sends its own program change if you want) -- perfect for Quad Mono mode

Can set Quad Mode as the default so the unit boots up into Quad Mode

Can send MIDI Notes from Gate channels

...more fun stuff on the way! No exact release date yet, but it should be Rather Soon Now.

Cheers,

Amos

patobrujo

Post by patobrujo » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:46 pm

:D that's some great news Amos.... i'll be waiting for this update
..::PATOBRUJO::..

Amos

Post by Amos » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:30 am

Update! Big stuff. Release soon.

I just finished implementing per-channel MIDI notes to Pitch-CV... with pitch-bend!

You can adjust the CV scale on each channel independently, to get all your stuff playing in tune... does true 14-bit pitch bend which you can set from 1-12 semitones... and it uses the CV scale per channel so all pitch bends will be in tune with each other, even across multiple VCOs that are not calibrated to each other! So, you can play an MF-102 and MF-107 oscillator via CV from a MIDI keyboard at the same time, and have them track each other, even pitch bend them both in unison! That is the idea, anyway...

Lots more good stuff but this is a big one. You also get any combination of MIDI note to Gate-CV channels, which can be set to Legato or Retrigger.

Also, I implemented the feature RAH requested... you can now set any channel to output only MIDI, only CV, or both... this is saved with your preset, so you can flip between MIDI presets and CV presets without unplugging any patch cords. Awesome!

OK, I'm stoked... lots more to do, and not much time until we're ready to release.

More soon,

Amos

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:36 am

Amos wrote:Update! Big stuff. Release soon.

I just finished implementing per-channel MIDI notes to Pitch-CV... with pitch-bend!
Ooh! Tracking ring mod via MIDI!

Prime NL

Post by Prime NL » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:17 am

Great news Amos....keep it going.... :)

DontBelievetheHype

Post by DontBelievetheHype » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:10 am

In order to be able to quickly and consistently switch between lfo's, or lfo subdivisions, I have to use an A/B pedal, with multiple outs from the MP201 going to it, and then the single output from the A/B into a moogerfooger-- ie the LPF;

I'd really like to see a mode that allows you to use a preset and its 4 channels/footswitches all channeled through a single, or multiple CV outs. I'll give two examples with the lowpass filter

Example1-- Preset #49, CV out 1 going into the MF101 Freq input (values represent 'fooger knob positions)

Footswitch #1: Freq- Triangle, whole, 60hz
Footswitch #2: Freq- Triangle, 1/4, 60hz
Footswitch #3: Freq- Triangle, 1/8ths, 60hz
Footswitch #4: Freq- Expression, 60hz

This would allow on the fly switching between multiple subdivisions and manual control of filter.

Example2-- Preset #50, CV outs 1-3, and the MF101; CV1 into Freq, CV2 into Envelope, CV3 into resonance.

Footswitch #1: Freq- Expression, 60hz; Envelope- 0; Resonance- 5 ----- sub-bass, manually controlling cutoff
Footswitch #2: Freq- Triangle, 1/8ths, 100hz; Envelope- 0; Resonance- 6 ----- triangle lfo
Footswitch #3: Freq- Ramp, 1/2 notes, 60hz; Envelope- 0; Resonance- 7.5----- slower ramp lfo
Footswitch #4: Freq- Fpedal off, 80hz; Envelope- 10; Resonance 8.2 ----- classic envelope filter

Unless Im missing something, the only other way to accomplish this would be to make 4 presets in a row, say 47-50, and switch between them- this is still quite effective, but not as efficient as the method I described; to get from 47 to 50 it would take 3 taps, versus being able to access any of the 4 presets directly.

Anyway, im just brainstorming so I hope this makes sense, and if there's already a better way to do it, I'm all ears! 8)
Synth bass guitar rig including MS-20 filter clone, Paradox TZF, MF101, 102, 103, 107(x2), CP-251 and MP-201

HB3

Post by HB3 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:13 am

Amos wrote:Update! Big stuff. Release soon.

You can adjust the CV scale on each channel independently, to get all your stuff playing in tune... does true 14-bit pitch bend which you can set from 1-12 semitones... and it uses the CV scale per channel so all pitch bends will be in tune with each other, even across multiple VCOs that are not calibrated to each other! So, you can play an MF-102 and MF-107 oscillator via CV from a MIDI keyboard at the same time, and have them track each other, even pitch bend them both in unison! That is the idea, anyway...

Lots more good stuff but this is a big one. You also get any combination of MIDI note to Gate-CV channels, which can be set to Legato or Retrigger.

Also, I implemented the feature RAH requested... you can now set any channel to output only MIDI, only CV, or both... this is saved with your preset, so you can flip between MIDI presets and CV presets without unplugging any patch cords. Awesome!

OK, I'm stoked... lots more to do, and not much time until we're ready to release.

More soon,

Amos
That sounds fantastic. I've been having amazing fun w/ the 201 and this sounds like it'll take it to the next level.

RAH

Post by RAH » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:23 am

Amos wrote: Also, I implemented the feature RAH requested... you can now set any channel to output only MIDI, only CV, or both... this is saved with your preset, so you can flip between MIDI presets and CV presets without unplugging any patch cords. Awesome!

More soon,

Amos
That's so great. Gotta love a company that is so open and responsive to their customers' input. Thanks again Amos and Moog!