MP-201 firmware in active development! Please read

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:24 pm

jufros wrote:Ok I'll clarify...

I set channel 1 to an LFO slaved to tap tempo. Channel 1 is exporting midi clock.

I connect to the MIDI OUT to the MIDI IN of an effects unit. It's successfully receiving MIDI clock. I connect the MIDI THRU of that unit back into the MIDI IN of the MP-201.

I set channel 2 to a MIDI clock synched LFO. I want to be able to set the heel and toe positions to different subdivisions of the midi clock and use the expression pedal to move between the two.
Yes, exactly. This should work perfectly, provided the MIDI THRU is a true passive thru that passes the MIDI clock messages from the input.
just set the FPEDAL MODE to Rate and it will sweep through MIDI clock divisions.
jufros wrote: It would also be really convenient if you could just subdivide a tap tempo synched LFO and have the expression pedal control the number of subdivisions at heal and toe. Does this make sense?
That would be very nice. I will see if I can add that to the next (after 2.0) firmware update... that will be the one in which I hot-rod the LFO section. ;)

DontBelievetheHype

Post by DontBelievetheHype » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:44 pm

Amos wrote:Hey there... Well currently the only way to get a whole array of different in-tune CV pitcjes is via MIDI notes. However you can certainly dial in a specific pitch for the pedal toe and heel positions, and save a group of presets with different notes. you can step through the presets for different keys or chords. Try setting one up to see how it works for you.

In other news we are testing a V 2.0 release candidate this weekend. It has really come together wonderfully and is just about ready.

Best regards,

Amos
r05c03 wrote:DBH. I have done exactly what Amos mentioned, but with the "analog" EP-2. You can use the attenuator knob to dial in two different desired notes, one in the heel and one in the two position, and if you want to get tricky, and it does not need to be exact you can attain in a third note by ear in the mushy middle...
Yep, it works! Can't wait for the firmware and a 2nd Freqbox...

Thanks for the input 8)
Amos wrote:
That would be very nice. I will see if I can add that to the next (after 2.0) firmware update... that will be the one in which I hot-rod the LFO section. ;)
Awesome!
Synth bass guitar rig including MS-20 filter clone, Paradox TZF, MF101, 102, 103, 107(x2), CP-251 and MP-201

Amos

seeking fearless volunteer

Post by Amos » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:33 pm

seeking fearless volunteer to beta-test the MP201 v1.0 to v2.0 update process. Applicants will need nerves of steel, a USB cable, and the willingness to take full responsibility for whatever might happen as a result of the attempt.

Additional info: I have tested the process here, using several MP201s that have only ever had v1 code on them, and I was able to update them successfully without problems. In the worst case, you would need to spend around 30 dollars/pounds/euros on a Silabs USB Debug Adaptor, if the update fails and we can't recover gracefully. I don't think it will come to this, but I'm warning you about the worst case possibility.

Now, after all that, is anyone interested?

Thanks,

Amos

HB3

Post by HB3 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:37 pm

I'm down, but I lost yr email. Do you still have mine?

HB3

Post by HB3 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:01 pm

amos "at" moogmusic.com, right?

tubeampguy

Re: seeking fearless volunteer

Post by tubeampguy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:06 pm

Amos wrote:seeking fearless volunteer to beta-test the MP201 v1.0 to v2.0 update process. Applicants will need nerves of steel, a USB cable, and the willingness to take full responsibility for whatever might happen as a result of the attempt.

Additional info: I have tested the process here, using several MP201s that have only ever had v1 code on them, and I was able to update them successfully without problems. In the worst case, you would need to spend around 30 dollars/pounds/euros on a Silabs USB Debug Adaptor, if the update fails and we can't recover gracefully. I don't think it will come to this, but I'm warning you about the worst case possibility.

Now, after all that, is anyone interested?

Thanks,

Amos

I'm eagerly awaiting the end result. :shock:

Amos

Re: seeking fearless volunteer

Post by Amos » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:08 pm

tubeampguy wrote: I'm eagerly awaiting the end result. :shock:
haha, you are very wise! :lol:

I have enough testers now... we'll see how it goes... more info soon. :)

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:36 pm

Update:

Three for three testers op and running on the new firmware!

I think we've got it. :)

T7

Post by T7 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:30 pm

Nice work. Thank you!

tubeampguy

Post by tubeampguy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:55 pm

Amos wrote:Update:

Three for three testers op and running on the new firmware!

I think we've got it. :)

Amos. So with beta testing succeeding so far, how long till its available to everyone :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:57 am

Excellent question. What remains to be done is to finish the release documentation and installation instructions, some final testing, and then I think it will be ready to release.

One of the beta-testers has kindly helped with the release documentation as well, so that has helped the process along. I think by the end of this week or beginning of next week, we'll make this available for everyone. I'll keep you posted!

-Amos

Vitja B

Post by Vitja B » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:30 am

I red all this... Best of all: Guitar with MIDI pickup and some interface, into
MP-201, into ring mod/filter/FreqBox... tracking Ring Mod? tracking filter?
Aaaaaammmmmm..... Guitar synth? Ammmm... A MOOG MODULAR GUITAR SYNTH???????? :shock: :?: :?: :?: :?: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
I cant wait!!!
MF-101,MF-102,MF-104Z,MP-201,PRS Custom24/10 top,Acoustic G100T,many more.

jufros

Post by jufros » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:35 pm

Did this update address tap tempo exporting slower-than-tapped midi clock?

DontBelievetheHype

Post by DontBelievetheHype » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:07 pm

jufros wrote:Did this update address tap tempo exporting slower-than-tapped midi clock?
Amos mentioned it in the previous page; he said that they addressed this and other things with the tap tempo, and that its working better than ever (or something to that effect, his post is at the end of page 4 iirc)
Synth bass guitar rig including MS-20 filter clone, Paradox TZF, MF101, 102, 103, 107(x2), CP-251 and MP-201

jufros

Post by jufros » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:32 pm

Did the end of "this" week last week mean this current weak now? "A few weeks" turned into months and months before and I still have a $500 piece of equipment that is completely and utterly useless because of this tap tempo bug. I've had to buy an expression splitter AND a midi controller just to gig and have really trusted that Moog was doing everything it could to support an initially exciting but arguably nonfunctional device... Can we just get a straight answer on a date here? I really do just want to sell this thing.

Yet another issue I'm having with the MP-201 is that, even ignoring the fact that the tap tempo to midi clock conversion is horribly inaccurate, it will send the same tempo to multiple MIDI devices, but the counting won't be uniform at all. For example, I'll tap 120 BPM and the MP-201 will send ~85 BPM to my Eventide Pitchfactor, Modfactor, and Timefactor. The Pitchfactor and Modfactor will sync up about 65% of the time while the Timefactor will sync up about 25% of the time, yet each device will display 85 BPM. I've talked to Eventide about this and tried using tap tempo with other MIDI devices. All of them have worked flawlessly.