MP-201 into Line 6 ?

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
teddykjam

MP-201 into Line 6 ?

Post by teddykjam » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:39 pm

PLugging the CV out of the MP-201 into a Line 6 M13 with either TRS or TS cables yields no result whatsoever. Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

when using midi out of the MP-201 into the Line 6 M13 there is a lag in the pedal. Is that normal midi lag or am I doing something wrong there?

thanks !!!!!

Teddy
Teddy

http://teddyjam.com

Bryan T

Re: MP-201 into Line 6 ?

Post by Bryan T » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:52 pm

teddykjam wrote:PLugging the CV out of the MP-201 into a Line 6 M13 with either TRS or TS cables yields no result whatsoever. Any idea what I could be doing wrong?
You don't give many details to go on. The only funky thing I remember about the Line6 expression control is that you set a knob, plug in the expression pedal, set the expression pedal to the heel setting, tweak the knob to another setting, and move the expression pedal to the toe setting. If you are doing that (and have the MP-201 set to expression - I'm not sure how it would work with LFO signals), then I'm not sure what you're doing wrong.

I looked at the details for Line 6's expression pedal and it is a TS cable.
when using midi out of the MP-201 into the Line 6 M13 there is a lag in the pedal. Is that normal midi lag or am I doing something wrong there?

thanks !!!!!

Teddy
There shouldn't be any noticeable lag. More details would help us figure out what you're doing wrong.

Bryan

teddykjam

Post by teddykjam » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:34 pm

what kinds of details?

I plug in the TS or TRS cable to the corresponding CV out on the MP-201
I plug it into the exp pedal input on the M13
I make sure the right settings are made in the MP-201
I do exactly what you described with the Line 6, i.e. set the heel and toe positions
then I move the pedal and nothing happens.

I think it must be a voltage level thing. I've tried many cables at this point and nothing works. My old line 6 exp pedals work fine.

on Line 6's site it say the exp inputs want to see 10k or onder voltage... should be ok with 5v, right?

I'm stumped.... and it takes a lot to stump me.
Teddy

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:37 pm

I'm not sure what the deal with the expression pedal is. Your MP-201 works with other pedals?
teddykjam wrote:what kinds of details?
Details on the MIDI side of things. What are you trying to control? What CC channel? How are things on the MP-201 set?
Last edited by Bryan T on Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:39 pm

teddykjam wrote:on Line 6's site it say the exp inputs want to see 10k or onder voltage... should be ok with 5v, right?
Also, 10K is the resistance of the pot, not the voltage of the CV.

teddykjam

Post by teddykjam » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:42 pm

that's right 10k is the resistance of the pot... true

should just work, no?

on the midi side

I have the M13 and the channel I'm using on the Mp-201 set to channel 8.

I have cc#2 being sent, which is what the M13 looks for to control exp pedal 2.

it works ! wow.... but there is a lag. if I throw the pedal to zero the patch follows too slowly. with the line 6 pedals that doesn't happen, it's immediate.
Teddy

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:49 pm

teddykjam wrote:that's right 10k is the resistance of the pot... true

should just work, no?

on the midi side

I have the M13 and the channel I'm using on the Mp-201 set to channel 8.

I have cc#2 being sent, which is what the M13 looks for to control exp pedal 2.

it works ! wow.... but there is a lag. if I throw the pedal to zero the patch follows too slowly. with the line 6 pedals that doesn't happen, it's immediate.
Do you get a lag if you control other CC #'s? What is Expression 2 supposed to control? I'd try controlling that directly.

Bryan

teddykjam

Post by teddykjam » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:00 pm

yes, I get a lag no matter what I try to control using midi on the M13... that's why I didn't give details before. I haven't tried controlling anything else through midi so it might just be how the m13 handles midi...

like I said....
I tried controlling with the cv outs and no love, that's why I'm using midi at all... I don't want to use midi. but if it's the only option... then I have to... I'm pretty close to returning this thing. If it doesn't work with line 6 it's useless to me. I even emailed all the moog guys before buying it to make sure it would work and they all said it would... yikes.
Teddy

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:06 pm

Maybe ask at the Line6 forum? I don't think the issue is with the MP-201.

http://line6.com/support/forum.jspa?forumID=56&start=30

Sorry you're so frustrated.

I'll try my MP-201 with my DL-4 tonight and see if I can get the expression pedal working.

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:10 pm

I'm back, hopefully with some helpful info. I was able to get the MP-201 to work as an expression pedal with my Line 6 DL-4. Initially, I couldn't get it to do anything consistently. I'd set the heel down setting, put the pedal to toe down, and set the toe down setting. Annoyingly, it them seemed like the heel down setting was 'forgotten.'

I got out my volt meter and checked the voltage on the expression pedal cable coming out of the Line 6. It read 3.25 V. Since the MP-201 puts out up to 5 Volts, I guessed that this might be an issue. I scaled back the toe down Voltage to 2.5 Volts and everything started working normally.

So, hop into the Utilities menu and set the display units to Volts. Then in an expression pedal preset you can set the heel value to 0 Volts and the toe value to 2.5 Volts (I found if I got too close to 3.25 Volts that I would run into issues. I'm going to play around with it some more to see what I can figure out.).

I think the expression pedal should work at that point.

Hope that helps,
Bryan

teddykjam

Post by teddykjam » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:32 pm

thanks Brian, I'll try that.... you rock
Teddy

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:10 pm

teddykjam wrote:thanks Brian, I'll try that.... you rock
I hope it works out for you. Thanks for getting me to try the MP-201 with the DL-4. I'd forgotten that it even took an expression input and now I'm getting all sorts of cool sounds out of it.

I'm still puzzled by the MIDI issue. I'd try specific CC's, like 'delay mix,' instead of the expression pedal CC. My thinking is that what you are doing is telling the expression pedal to change values and then the M13 has to interpret what the expression pedal value change actually meant. Might as well cut out the middle man (the expression pedal CC) and control whatever parameter you want to change directly.

Bryan

teddykjam

Post by teddykjam » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:16 pm

it works here if I set it to about 2.36v for toe and 0 for heel.
2,5 was a little too much. probably the DL4 is a little more tolerant.
the cool thing is that while adjusting the toe setting I can see the little bar move in the M13 so I could get it just right.

Thanks so much!

Teddy
Teddy

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:41 pm

teddykjam wrote:Thanks so much!

Teddy
:D

the mink

Post by the mink » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:07 pm

My first post here. Thanks so much you guys... I've been trying everything under the sun to get my M13 to respond to the Multi Pedal. Now it rocks.

I thought I was gonna go nuts.