Full range of Moogerfooger knobs

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
Bryan T

Full range of Moogerfooger knobs

Post by Bryan T » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:45 pm

I'm using the MP-201 in Unipolar mode, so it should output from 0 V to 5 V. What I'm noticing is that this doesn't cover the entire range of my Moogerfooger's knobs. For example, if I have the Cutoff on the MF-101 set to 0, I can't turn the cutoff all the way up with the expression pedal on the MP-201. Is that behavior normal?

Looking at the manuals for the Moogerfoogers, I'm thinking that it is normal, as the Moogerfooger's voltage is 5.7 V, so that last 0.7 V is 'missing' from the MP-201. If that is right, is there a way to get that last 0.7 V of control?

Thanks,
Bryan

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:55 pm

seems like ive noticed similar effects on my ep1.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:59 pm

If the Multipedal is anything like the EP-2, then no. Indeed, my potentiometer bank doesn't cover the full spectrum the knobs on my 'Foogers cover. However, I find that I really don't NEED to cover the full spectrum of the knobs...just a large portion of the spectrum is enough as long as I have the 'Foogers adjusted in a way that can make the absolute most of the limited spectrum that my pot box provides. Hope this helps. :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:50 pm

That's kind of disappointing. For repeatability, I like to set the knobs on the Moogerfoogers to 0 and then use the MP-201 to control things. It sounds like I'll miss out on the top range of motion doing things this way. For some things it doesn't really matter, but for others it might be limiting. Hmm.

Bryan

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:57 pm

Bryan T wrote:That's kind of disappointing. For repeatability, I like to set the knobs on the Moogerfoogers to 0 and then use the MP-201 to control things. It sounds like I'll miss out on the top range of motion doing things this way. For some things it doesn't really matter, but for others it might be limiting. Hmm.

Bryan
I thought so at first, also. But like anything else, there's more than one way of doing things. So experiment, and see what you can come up with! I came up with turning the MF knobs to 1/4, and doing a full sweep from the top end all the way down to 0, which you can do if the MF knob is turned 1/4 up. At least, that's what your ears think. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:05 am

Voltor07 wrote:I thought so at first, also. But like anything else, there's more than one way of doing things. So experiment, and see what you can come up with! I came up with turning the MF knobs to 1/4, and doing a full sweep from the top end all the way down to 0, which you can do if the MF knob is turned 1/4 up. At least, that's what your ears think. :lol:
The issue will be getting the pedal back to 1/4 each time it is used. I'm doing things like tuning the ring mod to specific frequencies that are pretty sensitive to knob placement.

Bryan

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:12 am

Bryan T wrote:
Voltor07 wrote:I thought so at first, also. But like anything else, there's more than one way of doing things. So experiment, and see what you can come up with! I came up with turning the MF knobs to 1/4, and doing a full sweep from the top end all the way down to 0, which you can do if the MF knob is turned 1/4 up. At least, that's what your ears think. :lol:
The issue will be getting the pedal back to 1/4 each time it is used. I'm doing things like tuning the ring mod to specific frequencies that are pretty sensitive to knob placement.

Bryan
Yeah...I don't know how to get around the issue. I just make do with what's available. As I recall, there's a photo-resistor that acts as a potentiometer...if that could somehow be modified...I dunno. I'm sure that the MP-201 isn't your everyday circuitry. Moog has NEVER used standard practice in designing stuff. There's got to be a way around this...

varice

Re: Full range of Moogerfooger knobs

Post by varice » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:55 pm

Bryan T wrote:I'm using the MP-201 in Unipolar mode, so it should output from 0 V to 5 V. What I'm noticing is that this doesn't cover the entire range of my Moogerfooger's knobs. For example, if I have the Cutoff on the MF-101 set to 0, I can't turn the cutoff all the way up with the expression pedal on the MP-201. Is that behavior normal?

Looking at the manuals for the Moogerfoogers, I'm thinking that it is normal, as the Moogerfooger's voltage is 5.7 V, so that last 0.7 V is 'missing' from the MP-201. If that is right, is there a way to get that last 0.7 V of control?

Thanks,
Bryan
I have found that my MF-101 cutoff input actually works with a bipolar signal instead of unipolar as the manual states. If you set the fooger cutoff knob at the midpoint and use a bipolar signal, it should work.
varice

Voltor07

Re: Full range of Moogerfooger knobs

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:02 pm

varice wrote:
I have found that my MF-101 cutoff input actually works with a bipolar signal instead of unipolar as the manual states. If you set the fooger cutoff knob at the midpoint and use a bipolar signal, it should work.
Great info! Thanks for that! :mrgreen:

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:35 pm

Bryan T wrote:That's kind of disappointing. For repeatability, I like to set the knobs on the Moogerfoogers to 0 and then use the MP-201 to control things. It sounds like I'll miss out on the top range of motion doing things this way. For some things it doesn't really matter, but for others it might be limiting. Hmm.

Bryan
Well you know the worst case scenario, who doesn't like tweaking a knob. You do your thing with the mp201 and reach up and tweak it...and you are relatively save because your reference point is always zero so you don't have to be so friggin precise.

Im thinking that the answer is a voltage controlled reversible attenuator. I think thats a new one even for Moog. So now you can have external control of an attenuator.

Did I just pull an ADHD trick out of my hat cause I totally lost my idea in Mid sentance.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:41 pm

EricK wrote:
Did I just pull an ADHD trick out of my hat cause I totally lost my idea in Mid sentance.
You must have been downwind of a Chuck Norris fart. :lol:

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:13 am

EricK wrote:Im thinking that the answer is a voltage controlled reversible attenuator. I think thats a new one even for Moog. So now you can have external control of an attenuator.
Can't you do that on the attenuators on the CP-251? I think I recall that they can take the expression pedal as an input.

What I'd really like in a voltage amplifier so that the 0 to 5 volt control signal is actually 0 to 5.7 (or whatever the correct figure is).

Bryan

varice

Post by varice » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:08 am

I'm able to get the full range of control using an EP-1 on my MF-101 filter Mix and Res control inputs. I opened the EP-1 and measured these voltages:
power from MF-101: +5.77V
signal with heel down: 0.0V
signal with toe down: +4.25V

If I recall correctly, the Mix and Resonance pots inside the MF-101 are connected to the signal ground and the +5.00V power rail, limiting the pot wiper signal to 0 to +5 volts. (The Cutoff pot is connected to the -5V and +5 volt power rails, allowing this range on the pot wiper which explains why the Cutoff input is actually bipolar.) The 0 to 5V signal from the MP-201 really should be able to control the full range of true unipolar inputs of fooger pedals. Could there be other fooger inputs that are really bipolar like the MF-101 cutoff?
varice

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:15 am

Bryan T wrote:
EricK wrote:Im thinking that the answer is a voltage controlled reversible attenuator. I think thats a new one even for Moog. So now you can have external control of an attenuator.
Can't you do that on the attenuators on the CP-251? I think I recall that they can take the expression pedal as an input.

What I'd really like in a voltage amplifier so that the 0 to 5 volt control signal is actually 0 to 5.7 (or whatever the correct figure is).

Bryan
The attenuators will probably attenuate the signal of the pedal. WHat im talking about is lets say that you have somethine already attenuated and you want to have an external source fluctuate the level of attenuation.

Really like I said I came up with that I dea and I saw it in my head and just as soon as I was about to type in the application and why it would work.....it totally slipped my mind. Perhaps thats not what we need afterall. I think what I was mistaken is that the attenuators would also boost the level of the signal you wanted.
So if you had a pedal that wouldn't sweep the full range of the knob, then you could have a second pedal that you could hit that would slightly boost the level to your desired usable limit so that you woudn't have to mess with hitting knobs precisely.

Maybe it was overkill lol. One of the things that helped me forget was thinking of an infinite link of attenuated patches. lol

Well scrap my last posts lol.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:30 pm

EricK wrote:
The attenuators will probably attenuate the signal of the pedal. WHat im talking about is lets say that you have somethine already attenuated and you want to have an external source fluctuate the level of attenuation.

Maybe it was overkill lol. One of the things that helped me forget was thinking of an infinite link of attenuated patches. lol

Well scrap my last posts lol.
Maybe what Moog should have done is put the CP-251 INSIDE the Multipedal. Infinite links of things are awesome. Maybe they should have put TWO CP-251's inside the Multipedal and added four filters to go along with the LFO's :lol: I put the :lol: there, but the more I think about it, the more I like the thought of a massive Multimultimultipedal. Call it the MP 210. :shock: And make it the Voyager to the 201's LP. And charge $1990 for it. :wink: