Wireless CV?

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
willi

Wireless CV?

Post by willi » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:04 am

Hi

Any suggestions on how to implement a wireless CV system? I see that Doepfer has some small MIDI interface boards, which could be partnered with an M-Audio MidAir wireless MIDI system and a MIDI to CV converter, but the Doepfer boards only do a 7-bit resolution (the CV will be aliased to values of 0-127). How much will a capacitor/lag processor help to smooth the resulting aliasing? Are there some other MIDI interface boards that do a greater resolution, and is it supported by the M-Audio device? What sort of solution might be used to transmit the CV signals in a purely analog fashion?

Thanks
Sub Phatty, MF-101, MF-103, MF-104z, & MF-105
http://www.earth2willi.com

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:46 am

Hmm...you're asking if control voltages can be transmitted wirelessly? An interesting question! Well, I suppose it's possible with a wireless MIDI device hooked up to a MIDI-CV converter, but I do not know how you would transmit analog CV signals. Unless you had a Tesla coil and transformers of various sizes in step down mode with the outputs running into CV inputs.

That way, whichever transformer was hit, a voltage would go to the synth, and depending on the transformer would change the CV parameter either a small amount or a great deal. A Faraday cage around the synth would be a must, of course! Other than that, I have no clue. I shall leave this question to the MIDI users here, as I don't use MIDI devices often. :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:54 pm

WHat about Wi-Fi or Bluetooth?

VOltor is right it might require some kind of digital control over your analog gear.

For example, you might need 2 computers. One pc being the master and one being the slave.

You could have something like a sequencer from ableton sending a bluetooth control to another computer which has midi control over your synth.

Have you seen those youtube videos of people controling their synths with Nintendo DS/Wii controllers?

THats perhaps as close as you can get unless there was a CV+Midi Converter+ Bluetooth to another computer to recieve the Bluetooth and convert the data from Midi to CV.

Interesting Idea though!
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.